Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest .ie domain & hosting?

Options
  • 06-12-2007 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

It's been a while since I bought a .ie with some server space. I understand things have changed this year with the legality / costings?!

I've re-designed a very simple site for a client who wants a .ie / hosting / 1 or 2 emails - ie info@website.ie...

It's basically a one page site - so no real frills!

Can anyone recommend me the cheapest option available?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Theres a sticky here with links to some of the main Irish hosters - they should all have pricing available too on their sites

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055075688

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

If it's only one page, you could use web/email forwarding.

ie: register your website.ie domain, then point it at free webspace (eircom or otherwise) and point an email catch-all at an existing mailbox.

(both web and email forwarding are included at no extra cost at www.register365.com )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Digiweb seem the clear route in terms of the cheaper option...

€50 all in for a .ie domain and a decent hosting package:

• 2 GB Web Space
    • 30 GB Web Traffic
    • 50 Email Accounts
    • Host 1 Domain

I think we have a winner -

Thanks for the replies.

As long as you are only using HTML (no php, feedback forms or otherwise) and don't need a database (for a blog, CMS, etc) then it's hard to beat!

As long as you are only using HTML (no php, feedback forms or otherwise) and don't need a database (for a blog, CMS, etc) then it's hard to beat!

The site is exactly as you describe.. It's a go then!

As a matter of interest, Do the rules still apply for .ie domains? - DO I need to submit a company registration number when applying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

sticker wrote: »
    The site is exactly as you describe.. It's a go then!

As a matter of interest, Do the rules still apply for .ie domains? - DO I need to submit a company registration number when applying?

Depends what type of .ie domain name you are getting, rules are more relaxed now, have a look at the IEDR site for the different category's and criteria

Also includes MyWeb which allows those interactive items (blog/cms/feedback form/photo gallery and more!)

They really do have a very competitve pricing structure... Far better than the competition.

It's bizzare to me how the same service can cost so much more elsewhere. Goes to show the rackets out there!!

When you compare like with like, it's a fasirly competetive market in Ireland now (altho I'm not aware of any other host offering such a limited plan for such a low price). At the 40 euro per annum bracket, there is plenty of competition for comprehensive plans, including databases, scripting and such features.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

sticker wrote: »
    They really do have a very competitve pricing structure... Far better than the competition.

It's bizzare to me how the same service can cost so much more elsewhere. Goes to show the rackets out there!!
    Not really. You are looking at an extremely low package that does not even support PHP or ASP.

Comparison of similiar Irish packages (Similarities left out if e.g. same storage etc)

DIGIWEB - AdvancedHosting
    2 Websites
    100 Email Boxes
    5 MySQL Databases
    5 PostgreSQL databases
    Price:€48.39

HOSTING365 - Business Hosting
    25 Websites
    250 500MB Email Boxes
    Unlimited MySQL Databases
    Unlimited PostgreSQL databases
    Price: €48.34

DIGIWEB - BusinessHosting
    10 Websites
    125GB Transfer
    250 Email Boxes
    10 MySQL databases
    10 PostgreSQL databases
    Price: €120.99

HOSTING365 - Enterprise Hosting
    50 Websites
    100GB Transfer
    250 1GB Mail Boxes
    Unlimited MySQL Databases
    Unlimited PgSQL Databases
    Price: € 120.94

So each time you are paying 5c more for less with digiweb over hosting365. I wouldn't really call that "Far better than the competition".

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way associated with hosting365 except as a customer.

Advertisement