Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got thrown out of a pub for not drinking!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Hell, I'm on the OP's side. There were a bunch of people with him quaffing down pints who might not have been there if they didn't have a designated driver. Shame on the publican for caring more about a few euros profit than about the OP's friends getting home safely, I'm sure the OP's presence in the pub didn't deter any other punters from coming in and spending money! The publican must have been eyeballing everyone in the pub to make sure everyone was drinking, pretty pathetic IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Mordeth wrote: »
    since when do you have to pay for a water?

Since you don't want a glass half-full of sheep urine and/or e-coli

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

You didnt even buy a pack of Tayto or peanuts??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

The place must be really sh!t or stuck for money OP if the barman has the time to observe what people are and are not drinking,go out and confront you,tell the manager etc.No work behind the bar obviously?????;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Gulliver wrote: »
    Since you don't want a glass half-full of sheep urine and/or e-coli
    Unless of course thats a selling point of the bottled water :) "Natural minerals" and all that.

• Advertisement

Mordeth wrote: »
    since when do you have to pay for a water?

I was distinctly under the impression that people who asked for water were not permitted to stay...

and not like the coyote ugly way either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

JohnCleary wrote: »
    You didnt even buy a pack of Tayto or peanuts??
    Wehay! A nice 40 cent for the barman.

A pub on O'Connell st have a bouncer on the stairs and you're not allowed up unless you buy a drink downstairs first. Too many people going up, watching the football and heading off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 deepack

I dont drink and either does my bf but when we go out we order maybe one soft drink then water after that cos you just feel too bloated and worse than a hang over the following day if you stay drinking soft drinks.

you still shouldnt have been kicked out though for not drinking its discrimination, but not worth fighting.
    I work in a bar and if i ever saw anyone come in and not drinking its their choice as long as your not disturbing anyone you are entitled to be on the premises...then again the pub will also tell you they reserve to right to remove you from the premises bla bla bla

Its a loose loose situation

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

There's not, which is the god awful thing about this country. They keep going on and on about people being killed in drink-driving accidents and it seems they do nothing to try and prevent this, bar those horrific advertisements. There has to be some sort of lure to get people to be a designated driver. Maybe it could be cheaper for the DD to get into clubs cheaper, or an active soft-drink campaign like the one coca-cola did previously.

That is a disgrace.

Getting someone to be a designated driver is bloody hard, though!
    Still, there should be some sort of Govt incentive to either the publican or soft drink company to get it going.
    Or even a good will gesture from the soft drink co or Diageo or the like. Granted they don't have to, but they'll willing to sponsor TV ads and the like, so why not sponsor free colas!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

What pub was it?

• Advertisement

deepack wrote: »
    I dont drink and either does my bf but when we go out we order maybe one soft drink then water after that cos you just feel too bloated and worse than a hang over the following day if you stay drinking soft drinks.

you still shouldnt have been kicked out though for not drinking its discrimination, but not worth fighting.
    I work in a bar and if i ever saw anyone come in and not drinking its their choice as long as your not disturbing anyone you are entitled to be on the premises...then again the pub will also tell you they reserve to right to remove you from the premises bla bla bla

Its a loose loose situation

I don't think it's discrimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Wouldnt have broke the bank to get a coke or OJ surely! If even to have something in your hand!

Sizzler wrote: »
    Wouldnt have broke the bank to get a coke or OJ surely! If even to have something in your hand!

Or even the drinkers buying you the odd coke or OJ for you driving them home and saving the taxi fare ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Have to agree, would have got myself a coke and nursed it all night if I was in that situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I would be ashamed to sit in a pub all night and not buy anything. For shame OP, for shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 deepack

i was exaggerating a bit... but it was a bit unfair to kick them out for not drinking

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pbug21

I would be ashamed too. What were ur mates at. Whenever I do designated driver they never let me put my hand in my pocket, always ask me when going to bar. Its only right. If they didnt id buy one myself. I would feel like a complete dickhead standing there with no drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

haha, believe me, I'm not a non-drinker. I was just designated driver that night.

Interesting to see people's opinions, I looked at it from a business point of view, he actually lost money by kicking us out to be honest.

One year ago, I would've even gotten 3 free cokes for being a designated driver, this year, not only can you not be a designated driver on the cheap, you have to actually pay to do so.

I only saw that 3 free cokes ad on a billboard the other day, so that scheme is still in operation. Ive always wondered how youd go about using it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

YOu could have your naggin of vodka in your handbag, and when you get your free cokes you can use them as mixers.

I must post this up on bargain alerts!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Quality wrote: »
    YOu could have your naggin of vodka in your handbag, and when you get your free cokes you can use them as mixers.

I must post this up on bargain alerts!!
    Sure, because the bar staff wouldn't cop onto that after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Wehay! A nice 40 cent for the barman.

A pub on O'Connell st have a bouncer on the stairs and you're not allowed up unless you buy a drink downstairs first. Too many people going up, watching the football and heading off.

Yeah but that place is a kip. The only reason you'd ever go there would be for the football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Just did a little search there leninbenjamin, the pub in question is not part of the designated driver scheme.

For anyone who wants to know if a local is a particpant

http://www.ccbi.ie/des_driver/

ah... there was a motion passed by the VFI before on this (or something similar). i thought it was to make every member partake in it... pretty pointless vote it seems...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭blindman

Anyway, after about 20 minutes in the place a barman comes out to me and asks would I like a drink
    He offered you a drink. Why didn't you take it? Several pubs slill do designated driver drinks. My local does, but you could be asked to drive some other customers home as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

We got kicked out of a place for not drinking one night, three of us went in to the bar to meet friends who were having a drink then heading elsewhere, twas about half eight, and when we arrived the lads had about a quarter of their pints left, so we just sat with them for about five mins, within minutes, even as the lads were finishing up and putting their jackets on the bouncers came over and turfed us out for not drinking, the place was empty, there was no queue or charge in, but they do start charging round ten, and we were clearly heading off anyway, boucers are just power hungry twats sometimes anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

was the gig any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭JeanClaude

I'm with the OP on this one, absolute disgrace:mad:, the man was a designated driver FFS, greedy money grabbing publicians, all this BS about combating drink driving you hear from the VFI, is just that BS. Next week you'll hear some "poor" publican going on about how everyone is drinking at home blah blah blah,blaming the smoking ban and the drink driving laws getting tougher etc etc... era cry me a fooken river.....:rolleyes:

alienhead wrote: »
    was the gig any good?

haha, absolutely excellent actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,906 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Peanuts? Fcuking Peanuts?!

You could have bought PEANUTS FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Gonna try the designated driver thing at some stage...

"Ehh, do youse do that designated driver/Coke thing here?"
    "Yep, we surely do -- here ye are! *gives bottles of coke* "
    "Ahh cheers. Can I get a double vodka please as well? It's for the, eh, missus..."

Advertisement