Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cool background music for my website

Options
  • 06-12-2007 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm in the process of building my website and i 'd like some nice background music -

can anyone tell me where i can get music online to download or whatever?
    My web builder tells me I cannot choose an mp3 that is from an artist that you do not have permission for etc. So, where can i get music that i can use without the legal hassles?

thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Probably not the answer you are looking for but if I were you I wouldn't put music on the website. I hate websites that play music or make noise (bar when there is a video playing). If you are going to play music in the background then at least give people the option to turn it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

http://www.google.com/search?q=royalty+free+music

Also, if this is a website that is going to be public and not just a proof of concept, then please either make the music optional (as in the person has to switch it on to listen, not switch it off to stop) or don't do it at all.

Quite often I like to have my own music playing when I'm just idly surfing, and its annoying to the point of closing the page to have music from the website start playing disrupting what I *want* to listen to. Thats one of the reasons I don't like Flash boxes and such on social network pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

If you are going to play music in the background then at least give people the option to turn it off.
    please either make the music optional (as in the person has to switch it on to listen, not switch it off to stop) or don't do it at all.

+1

Good gravy do I hate music on websites. I can't recall a single occasion where I've ever thought to myself "oh happiness! music while I browse! How thoughtful!".

9.9 times out of ten I'll just close the site rather than even bothering to look for an off button.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭yeraulone

Hello,

To answer your question, try http://www.flashkit.com/soundfx/

You can sample download free samples, and your web builder should be able to loop them to play over and over.

As you can see not many people like sound on websites.
    Personally, it wouldn't bug me enough to close the site, but make sure you make play/stop controls available to the user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭martin84

Heres another link for free Irish music www.irishunsigned.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you don't have a huge budget have a look at some of the podsafe music, which is released under a CC license:
    http://www.podsafeaudio.com/

(there are plenty of other sites)

Basically you can use the content as long as you comply with the license, which is fairly liberal

I'd also have to agree strongly with the others - if you're going to put music on a site make sure people can turn it off. Forcing people to listen to your choice of music is not a good idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

As has already been said ... careful now ...

I personally don't want background music ... example ... I'm at work and the speakers are on ... suddenly I've got background music playing or someone singing I immediately kill the browser window

If this is a personal site I'd say go for it and throw on the music if its only going to be yourself and your friends hitting your site. For anything else its invasive ... I have winamp installed on my machine if I want music playing ... it is my background music ... I don't want you telling me what I should be listening to.

If its some kinda showcase site then maybe you're allowed but only if its some type of multimedia presentation in my opinion.

I find I rather like it when I see a play button and will hit it and maybe leave the music playing for a bit while I tab to another page of the site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Agreed with all of the above. If you really want it, make it optionally on, not off.

I listen to music on headphones a lot while i work/browse and I hate sites where music comes on straight away.

its enough to make me browse away and think twice about going back.

Advertisement