Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IACT DTP Master course - what ya reckon?

• 06-12-2007 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi,

At the minute I'm in an IT support job, but I want to get more into the design side of things, and I've been looking at the DTP Master course from IACT.

Has anyone done it or something similar, and is it a recognised Diploma within the industry?

A girl from IACT rang me up after I enquired for info, and she was raving about it, but she would I suppose..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I did this course about 3 years ago. I found the course a very good introduction to all the basic programmes (Illustrator, Photoshop and Quark Xpress) for beginners. Before that I had bought lots of books and taught myself the basics but it was good to have more formal tuition. I don't know how widely recognised the diploma is as I don't work in the industry though, I run a small design business but as I work full-time it's more a hobby which brings me a handy extra income.
    You should also check out www.totaltraining.com as they have courses on DVD which are very comprehensive with alot of tips and tricks from the instructors who are very well up on the software and make learning very interesting. I found these courses taught me more practical tips and they go into much more detail for each programme, taking you to an advanced stage. Total Training courses are official Adobe courses and the advantage of having it on DVD means you can revisit a section more than once but I don't think there's certification at the end. Maybe someone who actually works for a design company could tell you what you need to be considered for a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

just another thumbs up for total training.....as said before i dont think it gives any qualification however the courses are superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭onechewy

Hiya, apologies for my late reply... I didn't have my email notification thingy turned on.

I actually did apply for the DTP Master Course, am starting the end of this month! Thanks for the tip on total training, I'll probably take a closer look at their DVD's when I'm finished the course. Although I know a bit of Photoshop, I've never done Quark or Illustrator, so I'll no more of what I need to do (hopefully!) when I'm done.

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Also check out Lynda.com, they have excellent tutorials on everything design as well as some programming, you can subscribe to online viewing or buy DVDs to keep. I don't know what software you need to master but their Photoshop stuff is just excellent & v interesting, especially the 3-part Deke McClelland course. Time flied for me!

Advertisement