Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter IV details.

Options
  • 06-12-2007 3:22pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

Capcom have confirmed a few more details about Street Fighter IV. First and foremost it will be 2D which most people will be happy with. It will keep the standard 6 button layout. The game will featuure new locations, moves and features.

4 characters are so far confirmed, Dhalsim, Chun Li, Ryu and Ken.

A single screenshot of Ryu has also been released.
    http://www.1up.com/do/slideshow?pager.offset=0&p=&g=&tr=&mt=0&cId=3163673

Fingers crossed for this one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I didn't realise they'd even released Street Fighter III.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I didn't realise they'd even released Street Fighter III.

They did and it was the dogs ballocks.

Not liking the new look at all. Would have loved gorgeously animated HD 2D sprites like in a Neo Geo game but even better quality. I'm getting horror memories of the EX games.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Really there was 3 Street Fighter III games.

The New Generation.
    Giant Attack.
    Third Strike.

They where great games they just happened to be released with the decline of arcades so they did not recieve the attention that 2 did. They where released on the Dreamcast and have been emulated just recently.

If you can get a hold of them particularly Third Strike you'll find them pretty sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Sweet! I was hoping it would be strictly 2D and Dhalsim is a favourite in my book so happy days for me!

Here's hoping Alex, T Hawk and Fei Long also make a return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

That is a nice looking screen shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not liking the new look at all. Would have loved gorgeously animated HD 2D sprites like in a Neo Geo game but even better quality. I'm getting horror memories of the EX games.

Yeah was thinking the same thing ... looks like they are trying to go for some kind of 3D cell shaded nonsense ... HD sprites would look far better in my opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wicknight wrote: »
    Yeah was thinking the same thing ... looks like they are trying to go for some kind of 3D cell shaded nonsense ... HD sprites would look far better in my opinion.

I'd take Gorgeous 2D over polygons any day. Odin Sphere was completely 2D and looked nicer than anything released this year. Was hoping Capcom wouldn't abandon 2D for SF.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Capcom have stated gameplay will be in 2D.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If you want "pure" 2D, you've got Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix

Me, I love 2.5D -- Smash Bros FTW!

Azza wrote: »
    Capcom have stated gameplay will be in 2D.

Thats only 2D gameplay. I want some gorgeously animated hand drawn sprites is what I want and not some crude polygon characters that will look crap in 2 years time like the one in the screenshot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

this will look like a less colorful but better animated viewtiful joe which cant be bad,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

If all the gameplay is on a 2D plane, then surely HD 2D sprites are a much better option...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I think you should get off the future predictions wagon while you still can ;)

What's so "crude" about the Ryu pic? He looks just like a smooth, 3D version of his SFIII incarnation to me...

Oh, and: Dhalsim is back! Noogie time! :D
    Yoga yoga yoga. Yoga Fire. Yoga Fire. Yoga FLAAME! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

24415-noscale-sf4leaked1.jpg

24416-noscale-sf4leaked2.jpg

more than 1 ss leaked..
    The graphics aren't the way they are in the teaser that everyone watched. The game's still pretty, but it has nothing of that ink-splashing or anything. Art direction is interesting. Unlike all the other 3D fighters, SFIV is not meant to be photo realistic.

Street Fighter IV runs at 60 frames per second.

Street Fighter IV will have online play.

The game takes place after Super Street Fighter II Turbo and before SFIII. The good news is that the character roster will be made of many old-school brawlers and some entirely new ones. There are two new girls on the list. We will probably not see any SFIII characters.

The stage you saw at 1Up, if you didn't figure out, is Chun-Li's Stage from SF2.

The excellent Parry system form SFIII is gone. The new system seems to be called Saving or Revenge (we're not sure about the name). We don't know exactly how it works, but it's built around cancels. And we do know we'll have another gauge to activate the Saving/Revenge stuff, besides the usual Super Gauge.

Supers are there (although they didn't decide yet if it will be like in SSF2T or SFIII), and now they've put another moves called Ultras. These makes your character throws a auto combo with tons of moves. It's like a custom combo ... except by the custom part.

Shen Long may appear in the game. We are NOT kidding.

The consoles are not decided yet, really. But, assuming that SFIV will have online play, we can obviously think of Xbox 360 and PS3 (duh). It's very likely that we'll see an arcade version without online mode too, and our sources told us that Capcom could put some test machines in Japan arcades in Q2 next year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm not sure if I like the time period that it will be set in (Post-SSFIITand pre-SFIII). I was never a fan of all the crazy non-human characters in SFIII and this time frame allows the creators to basically ignore most of them. However, I would have liked to have seen a continuation of the storylines of each of the main characters.

Online play needs to be vastly improved over previous laggy efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Thats only 2D gameplay. I want some gorgeously animated hand drawn sprites is what I want and not some crude polygon characters that will look crap in 2 years time like the one in the screenshot.

You sound like a baby throwing his toys out of the pram.

whaaaa, I want this, whaaaa, I want that etc.

I think the screen shots look pretty nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

While the EX series made me cry as much as the next person, I trust Capcom wont make a spectacular mess of their most treasured franchise (and mine!) by making it in any way like those games.

Tusky wrote: »
    You sound like a baby throwing his toys out of the pram.

whaaaa, I want this, whaaaa, I want that etc.

I think the screen shots look pretty nice.

I just would have preferred 2D to polygons. Think how gorgeous it would look if they had the smooth animation like in SF3 but with 1080p hand drawn sprites and backgrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

That would take ages to draw and would cost a fortune, especially if it failed. Odin Sphere used a "puppet" type effect to rotate limbs etc. Which wasn't really that impressive.

Strange you mention Odin Sphere. I've read that it was meant as a PS3 release and had all the sprites and backgrounds drawn in 720p and were reduced for the PS2 release it eventually got. That game was made by 6 people on a shoestring budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

not what i wanted, as mentioned before would have loved 2.5D/HD, guilty gear, rumble fish' esk.
    Street fighter ex series had "2D game play" aswell and it was complete and utter ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    That is a nice looking screen shot.
    fact!

like the new look too has a classic feel to it

Advertisement