Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UltraVNC will not accept incoming connections

Options
  • 06-12-2007 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

I'm literally at my wits end with this one:

Brief overview of the configuration which is a home network.

Eircom Netopia 2247-02 router
    WAN IP: 86.47.35.189
    LAN IP: 192.168.1.254

I have a server running Windows 2003 server on the LAN with two NICS

and

UltraVNC is running and accepts connections within the network.

However it will not accept incoming connections from outside the network. I've tested running UltraVNC client from another network as well as http://www.gotomyvnc.com

I've opened the firewall ports on the netopia, 5800 and 5900 TCP and UDP, so four in total.

IP forwarding is set enabled to forward to the server (called apserver).

BTW, I only started trying VNC when I couldt get PPTP of IPSEC working either despite configuring and opening the ports for those protocols either.

There is no anti virus software on the machine. When I try to check windows firewall I get a message, "Windows firewall cannot run because another program or service is running that might use the network address translation component (Ipnat.sys)".
    This may be a total red herring though!

The only software installed is Windows SQL server 2005 and IBM websphere which is also not running.

Please help!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Try changing the firewall settings on the Netopia to low or off.....from memory I think the settings are High Security, Medium all the way down to Off. I think the low security setting might let connections through.

Cheers
    Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Thanks a mill!!. It worked!! So much for best practices in opening up your network!!!! There are four settings, as you suggested setting to 'OFF' and it works. The next highest setting 'LOW' and it does not accept connections despite NAT, ports opened up and forwarded to the server enabled!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Netopia routers seem a little weird that way I've no idea why it doesn't allow connections even when you have ports opened. A friend of mine had to do something similar to get it to work with Bit Torrent.

Advertisement