Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Washes - Where's the best??

Options
  • 06-12-2007 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

I've been washing my car in Esso in Cabinteely, which is one of those drag along ones, for years.

They increased the price to €10 for the top wash a few weeks back, which I think is pretty expensive and the quality of the wash is pretty poor. Its brushes miss the windows (driver and passenger) around where the mirrors are. It doesn't remove bird sh1t.......etc.

Can anyone recommend a good value, good quality car wash?? I'm too lazy to self wash..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would avoid automatic car washes with those brushes. They wreck your paintwork and tend to pull things off your car like ariels and wipers, in the process.

A self service or attended car wash with a power hose is probably the safest.

But personally I prefer to wash my car myself, weather permitting of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

That type of car wash is terrible. It puts small scratches on the paint. Think of it this way, If I go through before you, and my car is dripping mud, that mud is now on the brush. They you go through, and the mud comes off on your car (thanks to the grit, scraping it) and is washed away!

If you are too lazy to self wash, go to a place that has a power hose car wash.

The best is to wash it yourself with a nice clean cloth (not a sponge) and two buckets of water (one to rinse the cloth) and don't use washing up liquid!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

ianobrien wrote: »
    a nice clean cloth (not a sponge)

:eek:

Dunno WHO gave you that advice!

You do not clean a car with a cloth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Lambswool washmitt. Two buckets. Zymol autowash. The odd wax. Very occasional polish. Clay bar maybe once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Best place, is the driveway doing it yourself IMO.
    cjt156 wrote: »
    Lambswool washmitt. Two buckets. Zymol autowash. The odd wax. Very occasional polish. Clay bar maybe once a year.

Pretty much myself also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭nytraveller

ianobrien wrote: »
    If you are too lazy to self wash, go to a place that has a power hose car wash.

Power hose can also remove the paint if setting is too high and user puts it too close to the car.
    Self washing is the way to go!

Using jet washes for 8 years (albeit my own one) but I've never seen that happen in my life unless you have paint flaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I used to go to cabinteely,Now i go to Top Notch in shankill for a nice hand wash.it costs the same 10 euro but its a handwash and not a machine wash, also you get a tyre shine and alloys cleaned properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

I personally wouldn't let any punter near my car. 99% of them will be using either a dirty sponge & water, or a powerhose that would be almost stripping the paint off your car. The people using powerhoses usualy use chemicals which have bad effects on the paint also. If you have old dirt on the car, the power hose will drive the dirt into the car before moving it around.

As said above, doing it yourself (with the two bucket method) is the only way you can be sure its being done properly.

Seperate wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't let any punter near my car. 99% of them will be using either a dirty sponge & water, or a powerhose that would be almost stripping the paint off your car. The people using powerhoses usualy use chemicals which have bad effects on the paint also. If you have old dirt on the car, the power hose will drive the dirt into the car before moving it around.

As said above, doing it yourself (with the two bucket method) is the only way you can be sure its being done properly.

Ah it all depends on what the person uses.Ive had maguier's product used on my car and i have to say it looks the business. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I love th jet wash at the Texaco garage beside the foxhunter pub. The minimum price is €2 with which if you are quick you can do a quick wash. that means you can clean your car more often. But best of all, the turtle wash smells of bubble gum and changes colours. Very cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭blackbox

I'd never use a cloth - just rubs the grit into the paint. I always use a brush with lots of water and a little car shampoo. The regular car gets left to dry ittself but the pride and joy gets chamoised dry.

I don't think washing up liquid is a bad idea as long as you polish afterwards. It's better for for the windows than the shampoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Hand washing is well and good but what if you live in an apartment block and it's just not practical to lug buckets of warm water back and forth? The underground car park at my place has no taps and the car spaces are too small to get in and around your car.

Thats why this tread seemed interesting, but so far only a few posters have really answered the OP's question - where is the best place to get your car washed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

My ma dose a nice topless wash for a fiver....:p

Seriously....i usually use one of those ones in shopping centere car park....perhaps a bit pricey....but realy only use them when the car is realy dirty ( in winter )
    In the summer 2 buckets of warm water will easily wash a slightly dirty car....one with car wash suds......one for rinsing
    Here is my "seceret" .....2 sponges!!!!!!
    One for soapy washing
    One for rinsing
    A good Chamois for drying (not a cheap one)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

The tyre place at Blake's Cross has a good jet wash if you're in the north Co Dublin area. Brush washes I wouldn't even consider, no matter how one is supposed to be. Washing it yourself really is the best way.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

You shouldn't use a sponge or chamois if you want your paint kept at its best.

Both are flat, and so is the paint. They will find grit and rub against each other, then hey presto, you've got swirls!!

Lambswool washing mitt & a waffle weave drying towel should be the washing tools.

If you live in an apartment block, surely your brother or sister or parents or friends can et you use their driveway for an hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

€15 - nice wash and dry with chamois from Everready in Donnybrook (beside shell station) well worth it, the lads do a great job. Considering it's €9 for the shell one plus you throw the guy a few quid and he washes it with a dirty sponge from the same bucket all day I think it's great value for money. Then get the full monty from Beacon once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

MarkN wrote: »
    :eek:

Dunno WHO gave you that advice!

You do not clean a car with a cloth.

What I meant was one of those thick wollen things, but not a sponge. I found that dirk sticks to the sponge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭poker-jacks

drdre wrote: »
    I used to go to cabinteely,Now i go to Top Notch in shankill for a nice hand wash.it costs the same 10 euro but its a handwash and not a machine wash, also you get a tyre shine and alloys cleaned properly.

Cheers drdre! Where is this? In esso?

Also, thanks for the replies. But, I'll only hand wash my car in summer. Its too cold and wet to put all that effort in, only to splash through a mucky puddle and ruin all your hard work.

I agree with the poster who brought up the apt car park...

What this thread is about is recommendations for Good Value, Good Quality drive through washes....

Cheers drdre! Where is this? In esso?

Also, thanks for the replies. But, I'll only hand wash my car in summer. Its too cold and wet to put all that effort in, only to splash through a mucky puddle and ruin all your hard work.

I agree with the poster who brought up the apt car park...

What this thread is about is recommendations for Good Value, Good Quality drive through washes....

Nah its a place called Top Notch in the BBQ Centre on main street shankill going towards bray.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Statoil on the Howth Rd, €5 a wash, in a automatic car wash, it does the biz, that said i'm very fussy about driving a dirty car, even road dust doesnt be on my car for more than 3 days witout a wash.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

if your ever passing through ardee then theres a attended car wash there, €6 for a car and its a great job, car is alaways shining afterwards and you get your alloys cleaned too. they do spend about 15 minutes washing the car, highly reccomended

its beside the esso station on the collon, slane, dublin road (N2)

Lads I know this is about car washes but I can't sit back and watch someone tell you to wash your car with fairy liquid, cause it's good for the glass and then to polish it after! FFS like, the salt in washing up liquid will strip any wax off the car, WHAT it has to do with glass I dunno and then to POLISH the car and cut through another layer of top coat!? Niiiiice.

MarkN wrote: »
    Lads I know this is about car washes but I can't sit back and watch someone tell you to wash your car with fairy liquid, cause it's good for the glass and then to polish it after! FFS like, the salt in washing up liquid will strip any wax off the car, WHAT it has to do with glass I dunno and then to POLISH the car and cut through another layer of top coat!? Niiiiice.

Won't be doing this.............:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

For anyone outside the pale there is a self service car wash between Ballymahon and Longford.

€5 and no time limit on how long you can use the foam/power lance/wax etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 steel serpent

There's a place along the canal, after the Rathmines turn off. Purpose built with a few car washing bays. Haven't used them yet so can't advise on price but it looks interesting. Loads of places like that in Australia, in Perth anyway. Anyone have any feedback on these guys?

The garage in Foxrock village is also good, can be very busy though - especially over weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

I'd also recommend the Texaco in Foxrock village

High&Low wrote: »
    I'd also recommend the Texaco in Foxrock village

Is it not really expensive??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Can someone go throught the "two bucket" system? Thanks.

Anyone know the best way to clean the inside of your windscreen?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

Is it not really expensive??

Can't remember exactly how much it is, but they also chamois it dry after. Much, much better than a brush wash, can't believe they are charging €10 for that.

You could also get your car washed in the Texaco in clonkeen, €6 for a car (lance), you can do it yourself or one the guys who works there will do it.

Advertisement