Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Washes - Where's the best??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

lightening wrote: »
    Can someone go throught the "two bucket" system? Thanks.

Anyone know the best way to clean the inside of your windscreen?

One bucket of clean hand-warm water to rinse out your wash-mitt, one with your washing solution. Wash from top to bottom, using the solution to wash and rinsing the dirt out into your water bucket.

That way you're not rubbing grit back into your paintwork.

Edit; vinegar and newspaper is the best thing to de-smear windows - takes a bit of elbow grease but nothing will beat it. Makes it much less likely to steam up once its clean too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 jkav

Hi All, If any of ye pass through Wexford call to Kavanagh's Ferrybank or Rocklands and you can see a proper hand car wash in operation.

Car €7
    Jeep €10
    Van €10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

jkav wrote: »
    Hi All, If any of ye pass through Wexford call to Kavanagh's Ferrybank or Rocklands and you can see a proper hand car wash in operation.

Car €7
    Jeep €10
    Van €10

It sounds like you work for them :)

drdre wrote: »
    It sounds like you work for them :)

I own them, just got fed up with brush washes, touchless and rough handed attendants. Site 1 running 2 years now Fri,Sat,Sun 175 cars a day. Site 2 just opened 2 weeks 70 cars a day all week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I own them, just got fed up with brush washes, touchless and rough handed attendants. Site 1 running 2 years now Fri,Sat,Sun 175 cars a day. Site 2 just opened 2 weeks 70 cars a day all week.
    Jeez there's money in car washes! Time to start looking for sites..

So, what makes your's different if it doesn't have brush washes, touchless or rough handed attendants?

• Advertisement

JHMEG wrote: »
    Jeez there's money in car washes! Time to start looking for sites..

So, what makes your's different if it doesn't have brush washes, touchless or rough handed attendants?

Ah you have to have a amazing location with a nice hot wash, easily charge 10 euro in dublin for that.My cousin's has a car wash in manchester and he is seriously making a mint.Cash in hand business :) (you know what i mean)

Come visit if u are not 100% happy i'll give u ur money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

Anyone use Tescos?

Come visit if u are not 100% happy i'll give u ur money back.

I would love to try your wash but i am abit far away, Im based in dublin.Anyway good luck with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

i prefer to do the car by hand but the calafornia wash in statoil howth Rd, killester is one of the best ive been in., they also have good powerhoses in the self service wash and the turtle wax shampoo they use smells like sherbit sweets.,:D
    oh, and the cheapest option is only a fiver and cleans the car very well.,;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The Texaco station on Newtownpark Ave has a fancy new car wash, €8/10/12. The lads give it a quick hosing down and scrub before you drive into the car wash, hands and feet off all the controls and it guides the car through on a track, very unnerving the first time to see the steering wheel moving by itself :eek:. Decent enough wash, washes under the car too, but not as thorough as a hand wash, but when it's 4 degrees outside and dark...

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

Dyflin wrote: »
    The Texaco station on Newtownpark Ave has a fancy new car wash, €8/10/12. The lads give it a quick hosing down and scrub before you drive into the car wash, hands and feet off all the controls and it guides the car through on a track, very unnerving the first time to see the steering wheel moving by itself :eek:. Decent enough wash, washes under the car too, but not as thorough as a hand wash, but when it's 4 degrees outside and dark...

Next time the sun comes out, it will look like your car was washed by a brillo pad though. These washes are the worst treatment you can give to your car cosmetically.

Seperate wrote: »
    Next time the sun comes out, it will look like your car was washed by a brillo pad though. These washes are the worst treatment you can give to your car cosmetically.

Dont totally agree with you, even though i have 2 hand washes a fully automatic wash in the southest is in the pipelines. The advances in this area is very positive for a complete clean to Totally safe auto wash.

Dont totally agree with you, even though i have 2 hand washes a fully automatic wash in the southest is in the pipelines. The advances in this area is very positive for a complete clean to Totally safe auto wash.

There's no two ways about it...if you put your car through an automatic, or wash with a sponge/brush....you will have swirly paint....

For alot of people, a clean looking car is enough. And thats how you make your (sucessfull) living. But it breaks my heart when i see 40k+ BMW M3's (and the likes) queuing up for auto washes, and 'hand washes' that use dirty water & brushes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

I got my car washed in Texaco, Foxrock on St. Stephen's Day. Yes, it is expensive. €11 for the standard manual wash plus €7 for chamois dry and tyre polish. The boy did a very good job in fairness, spent at least 20-25 minutes on it.
    High&Low wrote: »
    Can't remember exactly how much it is, but they also chamois it dry after. Much, much better than a brush wash, can't believe they are charging €10 for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

cjt156 wrote: »
    One bucket of clean hand-warm water to rinse out your wash-mitt, one with your washing solution. Wash from top to bottom, using the solution to wash and rinsing the dirt out into your water bucket.

Edit; vinegar and newspaper is the best thing to de-smear windows - takes a bit of elbow grease but nothing will beat it. Makes it much less likely to steam up once its clean too.

Thanks a for the advice! All makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

I found that the best car wash is the new 1 open in the clarehall shopping center on the Malahide road and they also have one in Artane castle not sure if there is any other ones. but they wash all cars by hand and put polish on tyres and do valeting. I used to pay 110 euro in malahide for it and they do it for 45 euro it excellent and the lads spend loads of time making sure its done perfect.;) excellent service i highly recomend it.

dogmatix wrote: »
    Hand washing is well and good but what if you live in an apartment block and it's just not practical to lug buckets of warm water back and forth? The underground car park at my place has no taps and the car spaces are too small to get in and around your car.

Thats why this tread seemed interesting, but so far only a few posters have really answered the OP's question - where is the best place to get your car washed?

:DThe best place to wash your car is the new Hand Car Wash at Artane Castle and ClareHall Shopping Center. They do a fab job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

:DThe best place to wash your car is the new Hand Car Wash at Artane Castle and ClareHall Shopping Center. They do a fab job

And you don't own/work for them do you

No i just am very big into my car and have spent ages trying to find the best wash. I used to wash it myself but its so expensive and takes me so long to get it perfect. Why should I wash it myself when I have found ssomewhere that does a brilliant job. Im not asking you to believe me but if you are interested in your car and want to give it the best wash ever why not try it. LETS REMEMBER THE QUESTION "WHERE IS THE BEST CAR WASH" WELL i JUST ANSWERED IT.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I use this method and works a treat. I use Meguiars in the clean water.
    I then use a chamois (shammy) cloth to wipe away excess water, so there's no dry water marks on the glass or paintwork.
    Really is a nice job. :D

have a look at their website

karltimber wrote: »
    I use this method and works a treat. I use Meguiars in the clean water.
    I then use a chamois (shammy) cloth to wipe away excess water, so there's no dry water marks on the glass or paintwork.
    Really is a nice job. :D

have a look at their website

The camois is letting you down! Get a waffle weave drying towel. It's far easier and better on your paint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Right good car valeting folk are hard to find in this neck of the woods.

The results on the Meguiars site, and indeed from some of the users here are excellent, but I have neither the time nor the inclination/skill to try and replicate them at home.

I would pay good money for results of this calibre, as I'm sure would many others.

Any recommendations outside of the pale?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

The camois is letting you down! Get a waffle weave drying towel. It's far easier and better on your paint.

I'll start to use my microfibre cloth instead so, and see if that makes a difference.

thx

for folks with swirl marks on their cars from car washes- they can be got rid of - with Scatch-X or by some of Detail.ie products aswell no doubt.

A good day at your car and it can look smashing.

back to which car-wash so. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

I got my car washed in Texaco, Foxrock on St. Stephen's Day. Yes, it is expensive. €11 for the standard manual wash plus €7 for chamois dry and tyre polish. The boy did a very good job in fairness, spent at least 20-25 minutes on it.

Got herself's Mini washed there today, best carwash I've been to so far.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Suggestion for a good washing solution / wash mitt?

So what, a sheet of news paper with a dash of vinegar (a lot or just a squirt?) and you rub the inside of the window. Thats the best way to prevent the window from fogging up? Driving an 03 Avensis, and Air Conditioning is the best way for me to stop it from fogging up, but it doesnt last very long.

Plus, no matter how many times I wash the car with the power hose / brush when its raining its awful hard to see out the window - the wipers seem to make visibility poor and not better - and there not worn either! Its like there is some scum it drags with it. Very annoying.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Right good car valeting folk are hard to find in this neck of the woods.

The results on the Meguiars site, and indeed from some of the users here are excellent, but I have neither the time nor the inclination/skill to try and replicate them at home.

I would pay good money for results of this calibre, as I'm sure would many others.

Any recommendations outside of the pale?

Your probably never down this way, but there is a very good valeting crowd in City Square Shopping Center car park. Do an excellent job. Used them once, took a few hours but got the car down inside and out - perfect!

Sully wrote: »
    Suggestion for a good washing solution / wash mitt?

So what, a sheet of news paper with a dash of vinegar (a lot or just a squirt?) and you rub the inside of the window. Thats the best way to prevent the window from fogging up? Driving an 03 Avensis, and Air Conditioning is the best way for me to stop it from fogging up, but it doesnt last very long.

Plus, no matter how many times I wash the car with the power hose / brush when its raining its awful hard to see out the window - the wipers seem to make visibility poor and not better - and there not worn either! Its like there is some scum it drags with it. Very annoying.

Wash Mitt - Meguairs lambswool - About €20 in halfords

Washing Solution - Poorboys Super Slick Suds...only available online. If you have to buy in a shop, Meguairs Gold Class Shampoo.

Sounds like you need to clay your windows. My advice would be to get some APC (all purpose cleaner), give the windows a good scrub with that. Then clay them and polish. Inside and out.

you should get a good multi purpose cleaner and wash the window and get a good window polish and apply it to the window. dont forget to give the wiper blades a good clean too and too apply a good concentrate into the washer bottle.

• Advertisement

Wash Mitt - Meguairs lambswool - About €20 in halfords

Washing Solution - Poorboys Super Slick Suds...only available online. If you have to buy in a shop, Meguairs Gold Class Shampoo.

Links? Ill buy em online. Appreciated :)

The local shops seem to sell this "Turtle" brand for outside cleaning and Mr. Armor wipes which are great for interior.
    Sounds like you need to clay your windows. My advice would be to get some APC (all purpose cleaner), give the windows a good scrub with that. Then clay them and polish. Inside and out.

Suggestions, and ill buy online? Also, what you mean by "clay"?

Sorry, im not big into cars but I like to keep it clean! So all recommendations for each product etc. would be really appreciated.

Advertisement