Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian Restaurant in City

Options
  • 06-12-2007 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

The wife and I are in Dublin on Saturday for shopping and we're staying in Leeson St. Can anyone recommend a good Indian Restaurant for us to go to?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Jaipur on Sth Great Georges St, Eastern Balti House on Sth William St, Surma on Camden St

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

+1 for Jaipur. Also really like the Khyber on South William St.

+2 for Jaipur , its fantastic and very friendsly .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 watchinpaintdry

I would have said Jaipur and the usual spots but have just discovered Indian Ocean, and have been there twice in as many weeks. Excellent food, nice setting, cheaper than Jaipur and great service. They even offer a complimentary drink after your meal (Cobra beer etc.) ... I got mine to take away ;)

Highly recommended!

http://www.menupages.ie/Dublin/Restaurants/Popular/Indian_Ocean_Dublin.aspx?spMode=MostReviewed

and http://www.indianoceancuisine.com/

Just up off Wexford St. near Whelans

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

You might want to start booking badger, its getting close to xmas. By the way, I reckon quality drops about 15% in December due to crowds and xmas partys. I hope you get a decent meal!

Enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Jaipur is lovely. Thanks for the heads-up on the other place watchinpaintdry!! I have passed it but didn't know how good it was!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Only ever been to Kyber, which I enjoyed very much,not too expensive either. I've been once to that one in donnybrook who's name escapes me (only a 10 minute walk from you) and enjoyed the food. i pass often and it seems to get a good crowd. An english friend who claims to be an expert on indian meals:rolleyes: says it's the best he's been too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

I would have said Jaipur and the usual spots but have just discovered Indian Ocean, and have been there twice in as many weeks. Excellent food, nice setting, cheaper than Jaipur and great service. They even offer a complimentary drink after your meal (Cobra beer etc.) ... I got mine to take away ;)

Highly recommended!

http://www.menupages.ie/Dublin/Restaurants/Popular/Indian_Ocean_Dublin.aspx?spMode=MostReviewed

Ill second this recommendation. Had an excellent night there. Fab food also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Is Khan's Balti House the one you're talking about in Donnybrook? It's really, really good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Schlemm wrote: »
    Is Khan's Balti House the one you're talking about in Donnybrook? It's really, really good!
    That's the one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 finkaboutit555

Monsoon in Rathmines is worth a visit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Kinara resteraunt is commonly regarded (and rightly so) as one of the finest joints in dublin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Kinara is fantastic but not really in the city centre and more northern Indian/Pakistani.
    Tremendous food though.

spurious wrote: »
    Kinara is fantastic but not really in the city centre

Yeah, amazing food, not worth travelling from Leeson st. though.

Just to back up what I said earlier on, I was in town dining last night. Even the ethnic joints have limited xmas menus.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Highly recommended!

+1 for the Indian Ocean - really nice food and staff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

judas101 wrote: »
    Kinara resteraunt is commonly regarded (and rightly so) as one of the finest joints in dublin

Ah yes,the Kinara in Clontarf.Beautiful restaurant overlooking Dublin Bay.Great food and drink.A bit pricey but worth its value.

One of Dublins hidden treasured restaurants is not an Indian but a Nepalese.Its called "Monty's Of Kathmandu".Its in Temple Bar near the Central Bank.Maybe Lemon Stret.The food there is exquisite and the GF has no quelms about it as its the good old reliable on special occasions along with the Kinara.

I'd highly recomment Montys.

Yeah, Montys is great, no airs and graces, traditional food, good atmosphere. Try the raw minced spiced lamb and whiskey for starter!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

blackbelt wrote: »
    One of Dublins hidden treasured restaurants is not an Indian but a Nepalese.Its called "Monty's Of Kathmandu".Its in Temple Bar near the Central Bank.Maybe Lemon Stret.The food there is exquisite and the GF has no quelms about it as its the good old reliable on special occasions along with the Kinara.
    Was just there last night for a special occassion. Really enjoyed my meal (still feeling full the next day). I found the flavours subtlely different to any other restaurant that I might go to, which makes it stand out. All aspects were good - starter (went for the platter) through to dessert (make sure you get the traditional - I went for the carrot-based Hulawa cake).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Not only is the food delicious but the staff are so friendly that you feel really welcome there.The platter is to die for alright.I quite like their prawns and the lamb gosht.

Certainly my favourite restaurant in Dublin City Centre.Monty's offer something different.They are in their own element.When me and the GF want to go somewhere special,theres only one answer....Monty's.

You look at the portions of food and wonder if you'll be full.A meal in Monty's will leave you feeling full for a day and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Based on replies here I got takeaway from Indian Ocean tonight and it was awful. The takeaway menu is the same as the restaurant one. Poor, watery curry and lamb that was very, very fatty. Won't be going there again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

blackbelt wrote: »
    When me and the GF want to go somewhere special,theres only one answer....Monty's.
    I realised afterwards that I've gone there for my last two birthdays. Shows how highly I think of it as well :)
    You look at the portions of food and wonder if you'll be full.A meal in Monty's will leave you feeling full for a day and a half.
    QFT. I barely ate for the next 24 hours. I also had a side order of aloo jeera and their rather tasty peshwari naan. Definitely one of my faves too.

Advertisement