Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Right. Now I've Stopped

• 06-12-2007 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭

I've been fluting around with giving up for a while now, but I've just smoked my last cigarette. I'm going cold turkey, with the aid of Allen Carr. Lots of water, swim/sauna/gym, and keeping busy at work and at home.

I think that smoking is an evil, and since I've recently started 'getting fit' and eating healthily, I've come to realise that smoking has no place in my life.

And so, still dizzy from the last cigarette (I went out and bought 20, threw out 19 and smoked 'my last cigarette'), I am now ready to stop smoking.

Heaven help me! I know I can do it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Archeron

Indeed you can. Just remind yourself of that fact anytime you feel like you need a smoke.
    I think throwing away the 19 left in the pack was a good idea too.
    I gave up with hypnosis, and the guy who done the therapy told me to make sure I had most of a packet with me. He said it was very symbolic to throw away cigerettes (something no smoker would ever do) as it reinforced in your mind that you have broke the habit and are free from them.

Probably just pshycobabble gobbledegook, but it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

I think after 24 hours you're heart rate and blood pressure go back to pre smoking levels, so that's one thing to aim for!!then every time you get a craving, drink water and do somtehing to engage the head!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

jus take it one day at a time...you'l be fine.

i actually found carrying mints (chewing gum, tic-tacs, polos etc) really helps. jus pop one in when u get the craving!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 William NoMates

Yes one day at a time, I gave up a year ago and I just focused on not smoking during the difficult times, like when I was having my morning coffee or in work, or out having a few drinks. One you cut the really difficult times out it will get easier. It is difficult but you will really start to feel the benefits quickly.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Update.

Right. I'm looking at my previous post - 6 December - and I've been messing about with quitting ever since. I have gone 2-3 days without a cigarette, but subsisted on drags here and there. And of course if I get drunk I get the moral right to smoke.

But sitting in the office at 6.20pm on Friday evening, with a possibly heavy weekend of alcohol ahead, I know I need to end this.

I've downloaded and printed off "Breaking the Chains" - a free e-book recommended by a couple of people here. With a bit of formatting it's down to 28 pages. I'm 4 pages in.

I've bought 20 fags - I've gone through phases of buying 20 fags, smoking one and leaving the rest on top of a bin, opened, for some 'lucky' sucker to find & enjoy.

But those aren't the actions of a non-smoker.

So I'm going to read the remaining 24 pages of this book. I've also heard that "The Nicotine Trap" is a good read, though Eason don't have it.

I dearly want to quit. So many people say that you need to 'really want it'. Well, I do. Don't all smokers? But tell that to my mind when I've had four pints of Guinness.

I'll let you know how I get on after the weekend. Or possibly sooner if this e-book really inspires me.

Wish me luck! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

markesmith wrote: »
    But tell that to my mind when I've had four pints of Guinness.
    If thine eye offends thee, pluck it out. In other words switch to Carlsberg, or something else. Worked for me.. and I'm back now able to drink anything I want without fear of falling off the wagon.

Off them 2 months to the day today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 krissie

markesmith wrote: »
    Update.

Right. I'm looking at my previous post - 6 December - and I've been messing about with quitting ever since. I have gone 2-3 days without a cigarette, but subsisted on drags here and there. And of course if I get drunk I get the moral right to smoke.

But sitting in the office at 6.20pm on Friday evening, with a possibly heavy weekend of alcohol ahead, I know I need to end this.

I've downloaded and printed off "Breaking the Chains" - a free e-book recommended by a couple of people here. With a bit of formatting it's down to 28 pages. I'm 4 pages in.

I've bought 20 fags - I've gone through phases of buying 20 fags, smoking one and leaving the rest on top of a bin, opened, for some 'lucky' sucker to find & enjoy.

But those aren't the actions of a non-smoker.

So I'm going to read the remaining 24 pages of this book. I've also heard that "The Nicotine Trap" is a good read, though Eason don't have it.

I dearly want to quit. So many people say that you need to 'really want it'. Well, I do. Don't all smokers? But tell that to my mind when I've had four pints of Guinness.

I'll let you know how I get on after the weekend. Or possibly sooner if this e-book really inspires me.

Wish me luck! :o

Good luck!! I read "Breaking the Chains" also, it's really short. Didn't really like most of it, but what did help were the tips on how to manage the subconscious, it's what was my downfall the last time.
    If the Guinness is what breaks you, stay off it for three weeks... or go light and have just one. It'll be easier once all the nicotine is out of your body. As long as you keep re-supplying it, you'll keep the vicious circle going.

Advertisement