Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

D1 Minibus License

Options
  • 06-12-2007 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Im looking into getting a D1 license for a minibus (hopefully with trailer) in the coming months. Is there anyone out there who has gone through the process? A couple of questions are

Who did you get lessons from? (Value for money in mind)

What did the exam consist of? (I hear its both a written and practical test)

Any other advice on the topic would be great, hints and tips for the exam.I have a B and A license and am within the age for applying. Im living in the greater dublin (south) area
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Our Tug of War club have a minibus but we were thinking of getting a second driver insured for it so i will be keeping any eye on this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Crapbag wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Im looking into getting a D1 license for a minibus (hopefully with trailer) in the coming months. Is there anyone out there who has gone through the process? A couple of questions are

Who did you get lessons from? (Value for money in mind)

What did the exam consist of? (I hear its both a written and practical test)

Any other advice on the topic would be great, hints and tips for the exam.I have a B and A license and am within the age for applying. Im living in the greater dublin (south) area
    Thanks
    I have a D1 licence but like most people who have it, I got it automatically after passing the category D (large bus) test.

You will need to do the category D theory test first. This cover categories D,D1,D+E and D1+E. Then apply for the practical driving test.

If you wish to tow a trailer, with a DGW of over 750kg, you will be required to obtain a Full D1 licence first and then apply a D1+E Learner Permit. You will be legally obliged to be accompanied by a person with a Full category D1+E Licence while driving on the Learner Permit.

IMO, you should kill two birds with the one stone and go straight for the D Licence. If you pass you will be awarded the D1 by default. You would still be required to do the D1+E test though (unless you also happen to have a C+E licence resulting in the the D1/D+E being granted granted without having to do a specific test for it).

Apologies if this sounds complicated.

I can't really reccommend any specific driving schools. I did my bus lessons with ISM.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

No thats clear enough. So in general how much do you expect to spend on getting a D or D1 license with application, lessons and test? How many lessons do you think were neccessary before you felt able for the test (I know this can apply to driver ability,experience etc)

No thats clear enough. So in general how much do you expect to spend on getting a D or D1 license with application, lessons and test? How many lessons do you think were neccessary before you felt able for the test (I know this can apply to driver ability,experience etc)
    I think I had about 6 lessons and passed it on the first attempt but I already had a rigid and artic licence so it may have been easier for me.

I can't remember how much the lessons were - it was about 10 years ago. Your financial outlay would depend on whether you go for the D or D1 - obviously the D1 will be less expensive. You could contact a school to find out.

(The fact that I already had an artic licence meant that on passing the D/D1 test I was also entitled to get D+E and D1+E without further tests. :))

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

Thats great thanks for the info. So is the theory test different for the bus license category, in other words I have to re-sit a theory test in order to be eligible for a provisional?

• Advertisement

Thats great thanks for the info. So is the theory test different for the bus license category, in other words I have to re-sit a theory test in order to be eligible for a provisional?
    Yes, but the theory test is very easy. When I went for the motorcycle licence I had to do it and I got all questions correct and was finished in 5 minutes.

(There was no theory test when I did the other categories but I did the bike test much later - hence the reason I had to do it.)

Advertisement