Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast review

• 06-12-2007 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

ModaRathmines.JPG
    This is a little bit late. I had this breakfast last week but with one thing and another I never got around to writing about it. I suppose part of the reason was that I wasn’t overly impressed by it so I didn’t really feel like rushing out to tell the world.

It happened one morning last week when I was working in Harolds Cross. I got an early break at about 9.00am and I thought I’d leg it down Leinster Road and get a good old plain and nasty breakfast in McDonalds.

My love affair with the McDonalds breakfasts is nearly over, I’m back again to my original impression of their food as being tasteless and indigestible. That being said, I still get an odd craving for the stuff.

As I got to the Rathmines end of Leinster Road I started to have second thoughts and I decided to have a look at the other cafes first to see what the breakfast menu was like.

That was how I got to Moda. I was lured to Rathmines by the siren call of McDonalds and then at the last minute seduced by what appeared to be a more traditional breakfast instead.

The food itself was all right. My objections to it are largely the quantity.

First of all the tea was served to me in a cup with the tea bag still in it. If this tea bag had been served in a pot instead of in the cup I could have had a second or maybe even a third cup of tea at no extra expense to Moda. Instead the tea bag was in the cup so all I could do was take the tea bag out and weep as all that tea went to waste.

Everything was served on one rectangular plate. The presentation was very nice but practically speaking it wasn’t very good. There was one slice of toast cut into two triangles. The toast was lying on top of scrambled egg, leading to soggyness. That was because the scrambled egg itself was slightly soggy which isn’t the nicest way for it to be.

The two sausages were very tasty. So was the slice (sic) of rasher that I got. Yes, one single, solitary slice of bacon. Most places will give you two slices. Apart from the scrambled egg, two sausages, one rasher and one slice of toast and the single cup of tea that was about it. There were a couple of spoonfuls of beans in the corner and also a very nice relish which was a good addition. The price was a bit disturbing: €9.90. This is about the most I’ve paid for a breakfast and I’ve often gotten a lot more for a fair bit less.

The tip jar beside the cash register amusingly informed me that Tipping wasn’t a place in China. The waiter seemed to be making a significant glance towards the tip jar as he gave me my 10c change, obviously inviting me to share the joke of the little sign. If he expected me to take another euro or two out of my pocket on top of the tenner I’d just taken out he had another thing coming. I took the 10c and said thanks.

The cafe itself is pretty nice. Very modern and a great place to go if you want to hang out, drink coffee and pretend to be an intellectual. There’s a room at the back of the cafe on the way to the toilets which is especially nice with lots of nicely arranged, comfortable sofas and hip and trendy posters and decorations.

While I was there there were only a handful of people there. Two men in suits having a quick snack, a couple of women having a coffee and a chat and a man sitting at a table having a coffee and a read of the Irish Times. There’s something about sitting in a cafe, drinking coffee that seems to appeal to the reader of the Irish Times, rather than the Independent or the Sun.

Also there was a man sitting at a table in the corner in front of a lap top who may have been the owner. He bore an extraordinary resemblance to a famous actor. Maybe he was just there to add to the ambiance of the place and justify the prices.

Breakfast in Rathmines

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Tenner sounds about average....Maybe your used to the Mc donalds prices:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I beg to differ, soggy scrambled eggs are the best..... you don't want dry scrambled eggs, surely?!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭seanabc

Tenner sounds about average....Maybe your used to the Mc donalds prices

I find a tenner is at the high end of the scale. Seven to eight is more normal for a standard breakfast.
    beg to differ, soggy scrambled eggs are the best..... you don't want dry scrambled eggs, surely?!!

Whatever about the scrambled egg, surely soggy toast isn't too nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Sausages look rank. Same generic, bizarre redish , most likely deep fried sausages that a lot of eateries and hotels/Spar seem to serve.

wtf is that about :confused:
    Any catering people know what the deal is with them?

Sausages look rank. Same generic, bizarre redish sausages that hotels seem to serve.

They tasted fine anyway. I've definitely had worse. I think the real crime here was the cup with the tea bag. All that tea gone to waste! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Fried eggs with a runny yolk ftw. Scrambled eggs are just wrong here. And more toast for wiping up the yellow goodness. 1 slice of toast? Did we lose a war?
    What was the butter situation? Pats of kerrygold? Flora available? Toast already buttered? I've seen it all!!
    Tell us more man!

Fried eggs with a runny yolk ftw. Scrambled eggs are just wrong here. And more toast for wiping up the yellow goodness. 1 slice of toast? Did we lose a war?

What was the butter situation? Pats of kerrygold? Flora available? Toast already buttered? I've seen it all!!
    Tell us more man!

Scrambled eggs aren't my first choice either. A nice runny fried egg is the best, although I've just discovered poached eggs as well which are good too. Believe it or not I got scrambled egg served in a breakfast roll instead of a fried egg the week before and I was surprised by how much how liked it.

I just felt the breakfast in Moda was a little on the light side: One slice of toast. One slice of rasher and one cup of tea. I'd had a much nicer and more substantial breakfast in the Village Bistro in Terenure the day before for 90c less.

To be honest I've never paid much attention to the butter. I think it was kerrygold. Those little gold rectangles are everywhere.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

seanabc, while your post is very entertaining, this is not the place to spam your blog. Please refrain from posting any more links to it or it will be considered spamming.

seanabc, while your post is very entertaining, this is not the place to spam your blog. Please refrain from posting any more links to it or it will be considered spamming.

Sorry about that. I thought I was playing by the rules if the link was relevant. Anyway I've removed the links from the last post.

I'm glad you find them entertaining anyway!

I went to Stephanies Cafe at Leonards Corner on the South Circular Road today. The breakfast there was €9.80 but I was happy to pay it because I got two rashers, two sausages, black and white pudding, a hash brown, mushrooms, beans, a tomato, two slices of toast (@wyndham Mitchelstown butter :) ) and a two cup pot of tea. That's much more like it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dublin2galway

seanabc wrote: »
    Sorry about that. I thought I was playing by the rules if the link was relevant. Anyway I've removed the links from the last post.

I'm glad you find them entertaining anyway!

I'd agree with Sean there - the link brings you to a site full of breakfast reviews. It's like if he linked to rashers and eggs dot com - all breakfast related.

Sounds tasty Sean!:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

When it's your own site, you have a vested interest in trying to get people to visit it. Posting links is fine once you have nothing to do with the site. It's particularly frowned upon if you're a new user who's just signed up and is posting links to your site/blog/whatever. I allowed the link in the first post and that's sufficient.

Back on topic please :).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Sausages look rank. Same generic, bizarre redish , most likely deep fried sausages that a lot of eateries and hotels/Spar seem to serve.

wtf is that about :confused:
    Any catering people know what the deal is with them?

Yeah they are deep fat fried:mad: anybody know where ya can get a decent sausage no pun intended:D

Yeah they are deep fat fried anybody know where ya can get a decent sausage no pun intended

The best ones I ever got were in a butchers in Carrigart in north Donegal. The downside is it's a bit of drive from Dublin and you have to cook them yourself. It'd nearly be worth it though. They're lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Tesco do some nice sausages in the "finest" range, as do Granby.
    As for the "red" sausages....they add food colouring cos of the high cereal content and low meat content of cheap sausages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Poppy78

At least they left the bag in the cup, i got tea with the milk already in the other day. How could they possibly know how much milk i like or how i like to stir the bag in the pot for a couple of minutes and then squeze it against the side twice before finally dipping it one last time and then holding it over the pot on the spoon driping for a while. All these frappamochachinos have gone to our heads, we have forgotten how tea is supposed to be done. Please can someone set up a campaign for real tea.

Advertisement