Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAT 6 Query

Options
  • 06-12-2007 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Folks, Is there any differences to bear in mind on a CAT6 network over CAT5? Is the crimping pattern the same? Anything else I should be aware of?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

The arrangement you use for the cable is the same.....I think the only difference is that CAT6 cable is a bit thicker than CAT5. You can get RJ-45 connectors that can be used for CAT6 cables but I'm not sure where you'd pick them up around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

You can get CAT 6 RJ45s from Radionics.

http://www.radionics.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Cat 6 is sensitive to being pulled about the place (while laying) it upsets the twist and will may affect network performance.....Prob wont really matter in a house (stick wit cat5) but in a business it would ..

Advertisement