Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vicious Storm likely this Saturday/Sunday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

ian_m wrote: »
    You should have a 'Weather' layer under the 'Primary Database'. You can see cloud formations there. I'm using version 4.2.0198.2451 (beta).

Late RTE late Weather forecast just seemed to think we should just expect high winds in the south of the country...

BBC Michael Fish 1987, nuff said

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

BBC Michael Fish 1987, nuff said

Thats reassuring :eek:...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I didn't think Google Earth was a live system, aren't they just archived pictures. As for the weather, it's dirty enough at the moment around Balbriggan. Have a xmas party to go to tonight, it's out looking good! Does anyone have a link for working out the symbols in those weather chart's I can remember the basic's from school but that is about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Still quite clam down here in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

yes it looks like the latest medels take the path of this low even more south. At this stage it's center is going to track over mayo and down over Dublin.
    00z Run showing L center over Dub

I think that would mean not as strong a winds for us in Limeick as previously thought sierra Oscar.

Yesterday XC weather was touting winds at Shannon Airport sunday to be around 40 - 42mph but looking this morning i see they have refined there predictions to max's of 35mph.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

From UKMO

Shannon
    Storm warning 0800 Sat 08 Dec
    At 080000 UTC, low 57 north 30 west 968 expected 54 north 11 west 962 by 090000 UTC. Winds will reach storm force 10 or violent storm force 11 in the southwestern semicircle between 50 and 400 miles from the centre until 081800 UTC, and between 150 and 600 miles from the centre from 081800 UTC. Winds will reach hurricane force 12 in the southwestern quadrant between 100 and 300 miles from the centre between 080900 UTC and 090300 UTC. New low expected 57 north 07 west 960 by same time. Winds will reach storm force 10 in the southern quadrant within 70 miles of the centre until 081800 UTC and in the western semicircle between 70 and 150 miles from the centre from 090000 UTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Interesting to note the first loop currently over the west coast, like a little storm in itself while the main storm is still way out to sea.

With regards to the first loop, will be interesting to see the windspeeds in the next few hours.

eurir_sat_200712081000.jpg

DOCARCH wrote: »
    From UKMO

Shannon
    Storm warning 0800 Sat 08 Dec
    At 080000 UTC, low 57 north 30 west 968 expected 54 north 11 west 962 by 090000 UTC. Winds will reach storm force 10 or violent storm force 11 in the southwestern semicircle between 50 and 400 miles from the centre until 081800 UTC, and between 150 and 600 miles from the centre from 081800 UTC. Winds will reach hurricane force 12 in the southwestern quadrant between 100 and 300 miles from the centre between 080900 UTC and 090300 UTC. New low expected 57 north 07 west 960 by same time. Winds will reach storm force 10 in the southern quadrant within 70 miles of the centre until 081800 UTC and in the western semicircle between 70 and 150 miles from the centre from 090000 UTC.

I think those force 12 winds they speak of will be gusts...if they're sustained...then im off to write my will:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

GFS tracks the centre of the storm over Wicklow at 6am

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn241.png

A

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Damomanye wrote: »
    I think those force 12 winds they speak of will be gusts...if they're sustained...then im off to write my will:D

Remember this forecast is for the sea area of Shannon. The area they forecast will recieve force 12 winds is way out to sea - this would be the sustained wind forecast. Winds over the sea tend not gust (unless seas are exceptionaly huge) - its really the influence of land (mountains, etc.) that cause gusts.

Still will be very windy your way - maybe consider the contents of you will.:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Its beginning to get windy here in East Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

As Docarch says, they are sustained. Gusts are generally not defined using Beaufort Scale

Mothman wrote: »
    As Docarch says, they are sustained. Gusts are generally not defined using Beaufort Scale

ah yes i see now. i got mixed thinking the forecast was for the shannon area but as pointed out it's the sea area. my bad.

There was a 56 mph gust at 12.30 out at shannon XC says.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

In sligo Ox mountains,
    Was clam but wet this morning until about 11:30, then the wind just started.
    No measurement equipment but it is gusting quit strong. My satellite dish is taking quite a hammering.
    Hope its still intact for the hatton v mayweather fight.

The Met have finally updated their sites forecast to warn people of the severity of this storm.

"Further showers or longer spells of rain overnight, heaviest in parts of the west and southwest, with further flooding possible. But cold over parts of the north and east with some frost for a time, as winds moderate. But it will get extremely windy or stormy over much of Munster and west Connacht, with gale force northwest winds giving some severe gusts in places before the night is over. Lowest temperatures 1 to 5 C., in the east and north, but 5 to 8 C., elsewhere."

Was it yesterday they had ' windy for a time' forecasted for the same timeslot?

The storm bears down on Ireland..

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=homepage

Winds already high across the country with widespread 50mph gusts.

The storm at 1345, now has 60mph sustained winds around its southwestern quadrant.

stormqw2.gif

The Met have finally updated their sites forecast to warn people of the severity of this storm.

"Further showers or longer spells of rain overnight, heaviest in parts of the west and southwest, with further flooding possible. But cold over parts of the north and east with some frost for a time, as winds moderate. But it will get extremely windy or stormy over much of Munster and west Connacht, with gale force northwest winds giving some severe gusts in places before the night is over. Lowest temperatures 1 to 5 C., in the east and north, but 5 to 8 C., elsewhere."

Was it yesterday they had ' windy for a time' forecasted for the same timeslot?

Yes but they had this warning. Note when issued
    Issued at 07 December 2007 - 12:37
    Severe Weather late Saturday-Early Sunday

Very windy and at times very wet weather over the weekend with potentially stormy conditions for a time overnight Saturday and early Sunday, mainly in Connacht and Munster, with northwest winds of mean speeds 35 to 40 knots (65 to 75 km/h) with gusts of 70 to 80 knots (130 to 150 km/h) possible. Valid 00:00 to 15:00 9-Dec-2007

Also the evening before on the television forecasts, that there would be severe winds across the south. So IMO they were well up with the game with their forecasting.

For me the issue is that the warnings section is not given enough prominance.

Only a strong breeze in east Wicklow with max gust of 38mph.

on the warnings section is not given enough prominance, I couldn't agree more there.

I was just checking out the ESB faults for the Munster region - there are quite a few, 15-20. I wonder is this related to the storm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Strong gusts here for most of the afternoon. Fields are really flooded after the very heavy rain this morning. Sunny spells now

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1208/weather.html
    Plenty of flooding overnight. The waterlogged ground will only make things worse for the west and southwest tonight because trees will fall down more easily.

I was just checking out the ESB faults for the Munster region - there are quite a few, 15-20. I wonder is this related to the storm?

Do you have a link to that page, esb homepage seems to be down for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Sun is setting now. Anyone got any updates? Beginning to look impressive in google earth.

Anybody think its over-rated?

rc28 wrote: »
    Do you have a link to that page, esb homepage seems to be down for me.

It is on their informatin helpline - 18500372999

Seems the power is gone over at the grannies.:(

ian_m wrote: »
    Sun is setting now. Anyone got any updates? Beginning to look impressive in google earth.

Anybody think its over-rated?

Keep up to date on the following forum(boards doesn't have as many weather members)-http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=42377&st=289&gopid=1125658&#entry1125658

• Registered Users Posts: 14,518 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Having a close look at 12z model runs for various global models ... the situation is still very much too close to call for some parts of Ireland. I think the very strong winds are more likely than not in regions lying south of a diagonal line from about Westport, north of Galway, then the centre of the country and out through the southeast corner. So if you're north of this, the winds may back around to a more easterly direction as the low approaches, and drop off to much lighter values, then pick up again on Sunday from the north.

If you're south of that line, expect SW then WSW winds to increase steadily through the night and peak at around 0400 to 0700 hours from a westerly direction, sustained near 50 or 55 mph and gusting to 80 or even 90 mph. Huge waves and surf will come in during the night and last through tomorrow, but the winds will gradually veer more to NW and drop off slightly to 40 mph gusting to about 65 or 70 (in this windier zone south).

There could also be some nasty hail squalls after midnight in some southern districts. Take care if you're in the firing line -- I don't think there is much chance now that the whole country will be spared strong winds as the low is crossing 20 W at about 56.5 N and still heading more east than ESE. The turn to ESE will come around midnight, taking the low towards Donegal. It will probably cross parts of Donegal and Northern Ireland towards the Isle of Man, but the very strong winds do not extend right into the centre as with a hurricane, but to about 70 miles from the centre based on satellite imagery.

If you can run a satellite animation, have a look at how fast the clouds are streaking on the southwest side of this monster now, that's what is heading for such places as Tralee, Limerick, Valentia and Cork later on. The low does begin to lose a bit of its punch after about 0300, but still, 80% of this storm at its peak will be more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

UK MET :

Shannon

Gale warning 1533 Sat 08 Dec

Westerly severe gale force 9 increasing storm force 10 imminent, increasing hurricane force 12 soon

Shipping forecast 1725 Sat 08 Dec

Wind - West veering northwest severe gale 9 increasing hurricane force 12 for a time.

Sea State - Very high occasionally phenomenal.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/shipping_forecast.html?area=Shannon&type=All&x=9&y=12

It's not often one sees Hurricane force 12 in gale warnings, and I never even knew "phenomenal" existed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Wow , never ever heard a sea state described as "occasionally phenomenal" in my life before. Batten down the hatches southern and western coastal communities.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement