Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car alarm not working in one specific area?

Options
  • 06-12-2007 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

I have a weird problem which is wrecking my head hopefully someone can help...

I cannot lock / unlock my car if it is parked in my drive driectly outside my house but it works perfectly everywhere else.

The car is a Lexus IS200, I have 3 sets of keys - all of them have the remote lock/unlock buttons and they all work perfectly if I am locking or unlocking the car anywhere else except in my drive.

I have tried walking all around the car to see if it works from different distances or angles but nothing!! If I park the car 20 or 30 yards away it works fine and I have never had the problem anywhere else.

This has only started two weeks ago. Is there any type of a radio signal from a wireless router or sky dish or somebody else's car that could be causing this. It is only in a very small area where it doesn't work so it can't be the car or keys!!!

HELP if you can!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

philcsl wrote: »

This has only started two weeks ago. Is there any type of a radio signal from a wireless router or sky dish or somebody else's car that could be causing this. It is only in a very small area where it doesn't work so it can't be the car or keys!!!

I've heard of this before. A mate of mine was having a similar problem which started happening out of the blue - his neighbours were experiencing it too. So he called ComReg who called with test gear and they discovered that the interference was coming from my mates house. It was from a wireless motorbike TV game that he had recently bought for his kids!! The wireless game was transmitting on the same frequency band as most remote central locking systems use. The game was effectively jamming the frequency band (930MHz or thereabouts, afaik)

You might need to go knocking on you neighbour's doors to see if they are experiencing the same thing or if they recently installed any wireless devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

philcsl wrote: »
    This has only started two weeks ago. Is there any type of a radio signal from a wireless router or sky dish or somebody else's car that could be causing this.
    Wireless routers, bluetooth, "video senders", microwave ovens, etc. operate on the 2.4GHz band - these shouldn't affect anything else. DECT cordless phones have their own specific band. Satellite dishes only receive broadcasts.

AFAIK they operate on the 33cm band - that page is US-specific though, so a lot of the things listed there don't exist here. We definately don't have cordless phones that operate in that band, dunno about amateur radio here (I don't think so). Could be some dodgy Chinese junk like the above poster.

Advertisement