Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

243 for fox

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Maybe it was a bit silly to picture the hare beside the rifle if your lurcher killed it. He does have a point Sounder, don't think there was any need for the obscenities, even if you did blank them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

it's more sensible to for guys to point out what they may think is, ill eagle, via PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerri

sounder wrote: »
    yes it is a hare it was killed on the lamp by my lurcher not shot i bring my lurcher
    with me shooting to find or kill fox's that are not hit right not like ye shower of **** that do think ye know it all ye want to give up talking **** this is a hunting thread cheers sounder

Still think it's ok? Section 38 Wildlife Act;

Use of lamps, mirrors etc. in hunting prohibited. 38.—Any person who uses any lamp, light, torch, mirror or other artificial light-reflecting or dazzling device or appliance in hunting any protected wild bird or protected wild animal, otherwise than while either—

[GA] ( a ) attaching thereto any band, ring, tag or other marking device, or

[GA] ( b ) hunting for educational or scientific purposes.

[GA] pursuant to and in accordance with a licence granted under this Act by the Minister, shall be guilty of an offence.

Question from ISPCA website;
    Can a person hunting a protected wild bird or animal use a lamp, mirror, light, torch or other artificial light - reflecting or dazzling device or appliance?

No, Section 38 prohibits the use of the aforesaid unless they attach a "band, ring, tag, or other marking device to the same or are hunting for scientific or educational purposes pursuant to a licence issued by the Minister."

It would be smarter if people would think before posting pics, comments, instead of hurling abuse at posters who try to provide solid information for those with an interest in hunting legally. Sending sounder a PM would not provide factual information to others who may be under the impression that what he did was legal. Sorry if you are upset by my comments but your behaviour makes it easier for the ICBS and other Anti's to condemn our sport, so I am sure you will apologise to me for your abuse and ensure that your future lamping/hunting activities are strictly legal. Thanks.

P.S. I am not a know all, but it would be clear to most hunters that what was in the pic was illegal. Might be a good idea to remove the pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

pursuant to and in accordance with a licence granted under this Act by the Minister, shall be guilty of an offence.

the farmer of any land can apply to the minister for said licence which is then issued to a named person/s for a specified time period(not confined to seasons) and location. this licence can also provide for the use of a lamp.
    it is normally issued where an animal/s are causing damage and most frequently for deer and hares! you dim wit. there is no need to be getting your information from the ISPCA sites. the had a flyer in Cork saying that badger digging was legal!!!! until i pointed it out to them.
    the icbs and other antis comdemn us out of hand they are not concerned about seasons,lamps,predator control etc.
    the first survey into the Irish hare showed a healty population and also commented on the benifits of predator control.
    i think Sounders picture shows that he is doing his bit for Irish wildlife and his previous pictures show he is also of benefit to the farmers on who's land he hunts.
    hurling abuse?how thin is your skin man? that just friendly banter
    Bryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

BryanL wrote: »
    pursuant to and in accordance with a licence granted under this Act by the Minister, shall be guilty of an offence.

the farmer of any land can apply to the minister for said licence which is then issued to a named person/s for a specified time period(not confined to seasons) and location. this licence can also provide for the use of a lamp.
    it is normally issued where an animal/s are causing damage and most frequently for deer and hares! you dim wit. there is no need to be getting your information from the ISPCA sites. the had a flyer in Cork saying that badger digging was legal!!!! until i pointed it out to them.
    the icbs and other antis comdemn us out of hand they are not concerned about seasons,lamps,predator control etc.
    the first survey into the Irish hare showed a healty population and also commented on the benifits of predator control.
    i think Sounders picture shows that he is doing his bit for Irish wildlife and his previous pictures show he is also of benefit to the farmers on who's land he hunts.
    Bryan

Very well said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

And by the way Gerri, your interpretation of that bit of legislation is completely off : foxes are vermin not a protected wild animal.

The hare indeed is unfortunate but as long as Sounder didn't let the lurcher of the lead on purpose to go after the hare unfortunate is as far as it goes. Wouldn't be the first time a walkers' dog upsets a brooding pheasant either for example. This one, and I think we can take Sounder's word for that, is exactly that sort of unfortunate incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Right, let's all calm down.
    Infractions have been administered for the inappropriate language and personal abuse that has crept into this thread, let this be an end to it.

On the subject of the picture, I'm willing to accept sounder's account of how the hare was killed, but I question the probity of posting a picture that is so open to misinterpretation.
    It was indeed deeply unfortunate that the lurcher was able to get to the hare in the scant few seconds the lamp was on it before the lamper identified it as a protected species and switched the lamp off or moved it elsewhere.

I'll leave the picture for the moment, but I'll ask everyone to consider the content of their pictures before posting them in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭sounder

and what about us yes us hunters ye are quick to pull us on thing that antis say but whats stopping anti makeing fault allegations on what i did just by looking at a photo that wrong to and i don't see mod stopping that this is a hunting thread not a anti-hunting thread.my dog was not in the photo because
    he had his job done.where do ye stand as mod on this.sounder

BryanL wrote: »

Bryan

Piles of assumptions there Bryan. My post was intended to point out that the use of the lamp on the hare was illegal, no difficulties with the foxes. Incidentally , disturbing protected mammals with a lamp is also an offence.The info was from the Wildlife Act, I just included the ISPCA question. No problem with hares being hunted, just prefer to see legal methods used, that's all.

Thin skinned, not at all, don't particularly like someone spouting off at me. Possible that you are correct on the ICBS and Antis but why feed them? Please explain to me and others what exactly is gained by showing pics like that and how does it promote a positive image of hunters?

Does it ever occur to anyone who posts on boards that difficulties experienced by some shooters in obtaining licences in some areas may be down to the tone of some of these threads? No doubt this would be denied by Gardai if asked but it could be connected. Good to see that reasonable debate and discussion hasn't reached the shooting forum and that people still seem to have a need to name call people who have differing views to theirs, sorry to disappoint Bryan but I am not a dimwit, just someone who gets a little annoyed when silly things are posted here. Oh, by the way I would prefer if any replies to this didn't include any "friendly banter". I still think the pic should be deleted as it does nothing positive for the image of hunters.

And by the way Gerri, your interpretation of that bit of legislation is completely off : foxes are vermin not a protected wild animal.

The hare indeed is unfortunate but as long as Sounder didn't let the lurcher of the lead on purpose to go after the hare unfortunate is as far as it goes. Wouldn't be the first time a walkers' dog upsets a brooding pheasant either for example. This one, and I think we can take Sounder's word for that, is exactly that sort of unfortunate incident.

Never implied that foxes were protected so I am not "completely off". Perhaps you should consider , if what you say is true, the wisdom of including the hare in the picture? I also fail to see why "we" should take sounders word for what happened, I don't know him other than from posting here and he seems quite abusive, at least towards me, and all I did was give an opinion on one of his posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gerri wrote: »
    the wisdom of including the hare in the picture?
    Well, he he removed the hare in photoshop or similar, then a hare shaped blank area would look far more suspect, and nobody would believe him would they
    "if it was the dog, why did you try hide it" etc

and what about us yes us hunters ye are quick to pull us on thing that antis say but whats stopping anti makeing fault allegations on what i did just by looking at a photo that wrong to and i don't see mod stopping that this is a hunting thread not a anti-hunting thread.my dog was not in the photo because
    he had his job done.where do ye stand as mod on this.sounder
    You posted a picture of a bloodied hare under a rifle without any further information, except for the statement: "here's last nite".
    Are you seriously suggesting that everyone is supposed to somehow know that the hare wasn't in fact shot with the rifle, and actually it was the dog did it?
    I strongly suspect that, given the absence of any other information or explanation, everyone (except yourself) who looked at the picture naturally assumed that the hare was shot in the same way as the foxes were shot.

Given that hares are a protected species, I fail to see how you're surprised at getting negative feedback.

Yes, this is a 'hunting' forum, and as such, is something of a safe haven here on Boards.ie for hunters and field sports enthusiasts; it is also a PUBLIC forum, and it behoves everyone to remember that.

Finally sounder, can I please ask you to use some capital letters, punctuation marks, and spaces in your posts; some of them can be tough enough to interpret?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭sounder

Rovi wrote: »
    You posted a picture of a bloodied hare under a rifle without any further information, except for the statement: "here's last nite".
    Are you seriously suggesting that everyone is supposed to somehow know that the hare wasn't in fact shot with the rifle, and actually it was the dog did it?
    I strongly suspect that, given the absence of any other information or explanation, everyone (except yourself) who looked at the picture naturally assumed that the hare was shot in the same way as the foxes were shot.

Given that hares are a protected species, I fail to see how you're surprised at getting negative feedback.

Yes, this is a 'hunting' forum, and as such, is something of a safe haven here on Boards.ie for hunters and field sports enthusiasts; it is also a PUBLIC forum, and it behoves everyone to remember that.

Finally sounder, can I please ask you to use some capital letters, punctuation marks, and spaces in your posts; some of them can be tough enough to interpret?
    wil u please remove me from this board as i think it a joke
    and ye can all **** off thanks sounder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

The option is there for you to remove yourself sounder. Nobody's forcing you to post here.

Fair enough, banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

give ye all not just give him a break can ye all not just take sounders word for it he says it was his dog and i believe him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

From when he said it, it was no longer suggested that he shot it. That has little to do with what subsequently happened.

Advertisement