Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

questions for atheists

Options
  • 06-12-2007 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭

1.Was jesus a liar or was he just wrong?
    2.Why should atheists celebrate christmas, isnt that the highest form of hipocracy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

1. He had a few interesting messages, but delusions of godhood are never healthy.

2. Why do Christians celebrate Halloween?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

I don't feel it possible to comment that specifically on events so long ago.

To answer whether he was a liar or wrong requires the acceptance of the events and teachings of the bible as having actually happened. The "mad, bad or god" trichotomy is thusly fallacious.

2.Why should atheists celebrate christmas, isnt that the highest form of hipocracy?

Atheists have family and friends too. And, indeed, I think it would be a bit much to assert that the current incarnation of christmas has much christ in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

What, he actually existed? S**t, my world is on its head.

hypocrisy and mean spiritedness.

But mostly I celebrate X-mas (yes I called it X-mas, where is your messiah now!) because it seems to really really upsets Christians. And I get presents. But mostly to see Christians crying.

I lick up their tears and store them. Hopefully I plan to ultimately create a machine to kill God. Or Chuck Norris. Which ever is easier and takes the least amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Like Fallen Seraph says we don't really know who Jesus was or whether he even existed for sure. If he did exist it's difficult to know what exactly he was, a lunatic possibly.

Christmas originates from an old pagan festival, to do with the Winter solstice I think, rather than anything religious. There's no evidence that Jesus was born at that time that time of year. Nowadays it's become more of a family thing anyway, alot of people don't read too much into the religious side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Was jesus a liar or was he just wrong?

If Jesus existed (as far as I know, evidence suggests that he did) he may or may not have claimed to be all that the bible says he did. If he did make all these claims, I would be more inclined to think he was deluded rather than a cynical freudster.
    Things were very different 2000 years ago. Myth and superstition was rampant.

The Bible is not a history book.
    Why should atheists celebrate christmas?

I cant speak for all atheists, as most atheists like to think for themselves.

Regardless, the astronomical (or scientific :D) event that is the winter solstice has been celebrated for thousands of years, going back at least as far as the neolithics 10,000 years ago. Newgrange is around 5,000 years old as far as I know.

This time in December is the turning point, where the days start getting longer, the sun begins to be higher in the sky, and as Yazz would say "the only way is up" ;).

It is a truly fantastic thing. This is reason for great celebration.

More info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_solstice

In ancient myth and legend, many spiritual leaders were supposed to have been born on December 25th. Indeed many of them from an alleged virgin mother. Myth, legend and folklore tends to infect and mutate.

At winter solstice, and Christmas, there are other religions which have other celeberations.

Santa Claus and x-mas trees dont really have much to do with Christianity. As far as I know, modern day Santy is a weird mix of Turkish St. Nicholas and some Dutch folklore. Indeed, many Christians are opposed to the concept of Santa Claus.

Christmas has become a holiday in Western culture, a very lucrative one at that. It is the middle of Winter and things are on the "up and up" for the next 6 months.
    Isnt that the highest form of hipocracy?

No. It is not hypocrisy either. I don't believe so anyway. I think most atheists just join in the festivities and enjoy it as a holiday.

I suspect there could be many arguments put forward that Christians celebrating Christmas is "the highest form of hipocracy".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Stupid troll is stupid troll

May I refer the learned gentleman to the response I gave early under the heading:

ZOMG U DON'T BELIEVE IN TEH BABY JESUS - HOW DARE U EAT TURKEY AND HAVE A DAY OFF?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54578197&postcount=4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

pH wrote: »
    Stupid troll is stupid troll

I agree, juanveron45 is a troll. Dont feed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

It is quite possible that the Jesus of the Bible was never a real person. In fact the earliest Christian writings such as the Epistles are suprisingly vague on his actual humanity and existence on Earth and seem to suggest that his teachings came from revelation rather than actual human witness and experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

What is it with ageing Argentinian footballers these days?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

generally they don't celebrate christ mass

Advertisement