Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

launderette compensation?

Options
  • 06-12-2007 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Hope you can give me a bit of advice on this:

Last Saturday I dropped a bag of washing in to the local launderette for a wash and dry , got then picked up yesterday evening and went to start hanging them up this evening. Got as far as the second shirt in the bag when I noticed some unusual coloring on it. So started to look at other shirts and jerseys and have discovered that the launderette appears to have washed pretty much everything in the one load and one the black duvet covers appears to have ran and discoloured 3 shirts, 4 polo shirts, an Ireland away jersey [formally white] and my munster rugby jersey :mad:

I am sure that they should have at least separated the colours and whites when they were washing them! What's really starting to annoy me now is that they didn't even mention the damage when my Girlfriend picked them up.

What sort of comeback do I have, am I entitled to some form of compesation for the damage?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You're supposed to seperate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Thats what I would have said, if you leave in a bag of washing you should have seperated it. Also if they seperated it and charged you for two loads then you would be here saying they overcharged you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

I would have thought it best practice on the launderettes part to separate the colours from the whites?

The least they could have done was have the courtesy to inform my girlfriend of the colour running in the wash when she picked it up. :(

I have previously left washing in and been charged for 2 loads where they separated the colours, which I haveand never had any issue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

in fairness, you can't just wreck people's clothes and then say "you should have separated them". they're supposed to be professionals. they were in a position to correct something that i'm sure is a very common mistake and they didn't bother

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I had to use a laundrette for a while and without fail Id be asked if the load was mixed or could they be washed in one load. So that place were aware of the problem.

Have you tried asking them about it, after all your first point of contact is them. Sounds like they have made a mistake, but to be honest, its a bag of washing, if they dont want to know about it, I doubt Id take it further if it was me, Id just do my washing somewhere else.

If all else fails you can get a run remover product to try and undo the damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

I called them yesterday and they apologized for the trouble and they offered to take the damaged clothes back and use some of their run and stain remover on them. Seeing as I have used them many times before and never had an issue and the clothes couldn't be much worse than they are I said what the hell I'd give it a shot.

It turns out there was a new girl working there and thats what happened with not telling my Girlfriend about the issue. They have also now placed a sign asking other customers to inform them if there is an item that could possibly run in the load or if they require the load to be seperated.

Advertisement