Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable Query

Options
  • 06-12-2007 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

At the moment I have a pc hooked up to a router, working no prob etc. Problem is that the cable is a bit short, so went onto Komplett and ordered a Patch Cable Cat 5e... however this one doesn't work, in that the connection occurs saying 100mbs network but no transfer occurs.

Is it possible the cable is faulty even though a connection is clocked? Or is there a difference between how the different Cat type cables work? I'm not 100% on what the other cable is that works

Any help is appreciated

Kratta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

You need a RJ-45 crossover cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

So the Cat5e cable is useless when used with a wireless router? Can I get an adapter to use with it?!?

Am probably coming across as stupid now but have to ask, the cable has been pushed through several walls to get to the comp already!!! (not by me though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Where it says 100Mb/s thats just the max speed your network card on your PC supports. Cat 5e is what you want ( RJ 45 is just the name for the hard plastic bits on each end of the wire that you put into the socket) .

You more then likely got a crossover cable, which is used for connecting 2 PC's and not a PC to a router . You just need a standard Cat 5 e cable , not a crossover cat 5 e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

auggie2k wrote: »

For a PC-Router connection you should be using a straight through cable not a cross over. Cross over would be used to connect a router to a router for example. Although in most modern equipment it doesn't matter as the interfaces will do the crossover themselves if they need to.

• Advertisement

rmacm wrote: »
    Although in most modern equipment it doesn't matter as the interfaces will do the crossover themselves if they need to.
    Really ?? I was unaware of that , that is handy. are you just talking about enterprise equiptment or residential aswell?

Yep it's a technology called Auto MDIX. Enterprise equipment definitely does it and I'm pretty sure it's standard in most network kit now.

Cool thats good to know. I am now wondering why we need to know how a crossover cable is wired for CCNA ???

Because not all equipment does Auto MDIX and it's useful to know how to wire up cables if you plan on working with networks.

Usefull being another word for pain in the ass :p .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Hi lads,

At the moment I have a pc hooked up to a router, working no prob etc. Problem is that the cable is a bit short, so went onto Komplett and ordered a Patch Cable Cat 5e... however this one doesn't work, in that the connection occurs saying 100mbs network but no transfer occurs.

Is it possible the cable is faulty even though a connection is clocked? Or is there a difference between how the different Cat type cables work? I'm not 100% on what the other cable is that works

Any help is appreciated

Kratta
    Are you on adsl or wireless BB ..if its wireless and your router is the mains powered black box thing that they all seem to use.. You do need a cross over cable..:)

Advertisement