Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

katy french dead

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Dudess wrote: »
    Why ":confused:"? It hasn't been proven so therefore it could be a blatant fallacy? Whether it's likely or not isn't the point. There's no evidence yet, the investigation is ongoing.
    And if it's untrue: while it's not defamatory any more, it's still a major allegation and will only serve to further compound her family's already unimaginable grief.

i think she is more pointing out the fact that another poster on here said the same thing and wasn't banned even though there was a warning saying that if anyone said what they did they would get banned, so i think she is more pointing out the double standard

edit: it seems they were so good work terry/karoma or other mod for being fair to everyone

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Lux23 wrote: »
    Im not disputing that, im just wondering if the mod will be banned as I was.

She was banned.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54596210&postcount=39

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Silverfish wrote: »
    I
    The only reason there are threads about Katy is because she was 'hot'

Nobody cares about some poor girl dying in a crash, because she wasn't a model.

And I think that's just ****ty.

Actually your wrong. And I'm not here to argue with you.

But I'll tell you why you are wrong.

Four weeks ago this Friday my uncle passed away after two weeks in ICU (Beaumont hospital, Dublin). I posted about it, and got a couple of pages of condolences sent to me, including a lot of PM's.

Because people care!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Sorry Lux. You mustn't have seen that the mod in question HAS been banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

stekelly wrote:
    Are people honestly whinging that something that happens to a celebrity gets media coverage? A celebrity is a celebrity because people know who they are.

What's worse is people giving about the thread in celebrities and showbiz forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Oh right then. Ill shut up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Wow. She was just 24 just a week ago. Imagine what her reaction would have been if, when told last Thurs night at her birthday party that she'd be dead in a week.

Very very dad. Same for anyone that age who dies.

If anything sinister was related to her death, I hope it rings home some facts to people ...

Sympathies to her family and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DawnMc

Regardless of looks, this is indeed a tragedy.

My heart goes out to her family and friends. I can't imagine how devastating it must be for her parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

"Death is nothing at all - I have only slipped away to the next room"

Very sad news..my thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

I completely got your stupid point. Why not leave your hang-ups on 'hot' to the side and handle the situation with more appropriate sensitivity. I'm aware of the deaths today of two Irish women and death is painful for both families.

Your facile 'hot' point is neither helpful nor considerate but reflects msierably on you.

How is Silverfish point stupid? Its entirely valid. I guarantee you that a lot of people have died today that weren't expecting to. It seems that some lives are worth more to the media than others.

And paradoxically, I very much doubt whether Ms French family want any media coverage whatsoever. The implied allegations being made in some of the papers are sickening. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? Or even having some compassion for the family?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Lux23 wrote: »
    actually a very clever girl

hmmmmm, no not really, not this time.

Its sad, and i sympathise, as i would if anyone dies. but i'm not going to miss her.

but mark my words, a lot of knees are about to jerk......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Silverfish wrote: »
    I'm not wrong. You posted about it.

No-one posted about this girl, but there's a flurry of threads about Katy. Just saying.

Very sorry to hear about your uncle.

Put it this way. Remember when Logic (boards member) died? There was a thread. Everyone gave their condolences. Now, I've no doubt, on that same day, hundreds of people died worldwide, several of them, at least, in Ireland. But Logic was of immediate connection to us and his death was a nasty reminder of susceptibility. Were people logging on, posting crap like you did? No. Why is Katy French different? she just appeals to a larger audience. She died just like the rest of us will someday, it doesn't necessarily matter how, or why in the immediate aftermath, she just died, and god willing we'll make it longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Very sad. Although it was probably somewhat self inflicted but that is for a different day.

Oh and btw for those mentioning about the defmatory nature of some of the speculation, you cannot defame a dead person. So no matter what was said here or anywhere it would not be defamatory... However poor taste is a completely different matter and I am not encouraging the discussion of unsubstantiated rumour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

but mark my words, a lot of knees are about to jerk......

Absolutely, but will that be a bad thing? Perhaps we will see some action

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Very sad. No sadder because of her looks, no less sad because she was a media type. Just sad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Thought she would pull through, must have been fairly serious to die so quickly. May she Rest In Peace. Condolences to her family, friends and relatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Lazare

Very sad. Condolences to her family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

cson wrote: »
    How is Silverfish point stupid? Its entirely valid. I guarantee you that a lot of people have died today that weren't expecting to. It seems that some lives are worth more to the media than others.

And paradoxically, I very much doubt whether Ms French family want any media coverage whatsoever. The implied allegations being made in some of the papers are sickening. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? Or even having some compassion for the family?
    Innocent until proven guilty still exists in this little part of cyberspace.
    In this case anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

HavoK wrote: »
    Remember when Logic (boards member) died? There was a thread. Everyone gave their condolences. Now, I've no doubt, on that same day, hundreds of people died worldwide, several of them, at least, in Ireland. But Logic was of immediate connection to us and his death was a nasty reminder of susceptibility. Were people logging on, posting crap like you did? No. Why is Katy French different?

This is the whole reason why katy is different. As such logic was part of our community (and his brother still is) and as such even if you hadn't had the pleasure of posting with him you still felt it cause he was part of what is our extended boards family. The same with Mairt's uncle. As mairt is a valued member of boards we can all kind of feel his anguish. So I think as these are our friends, even if we don't get along I think they are alot more deserving of a thread as oppose to someone who wasn't a contributer to our forum's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

jsb wrote: »
    This is the whole reason why katy is different. As such logic was part of our community (and his brother still is) and as such even if you hadn't had the pleasure of posting with him you still felt it cause he was part of what is our extended boards family. The same with Mairt's uncle. As mairt is a valued member of boards we can all kind of feel his anguish. So I think as these are our friends, even if we don't get along I think they are alot more deserving of a thread as oppose to someone who wasn't a contributer to our forum's

Can Ireland not be described in a similar fashion then? As one big community? None of us knew Mairts uncle so would it have been ok to slag him and say horrible things about him because we didnt know him? If someone related to Katy French or one of her friends is a member here does that automatically make her off limits and all the people costing negative comments will suddenly be offerign support and condolences? TBH it doesnt say much about these people if they did (probably even less than posting negative things as at least they might be expressing their own opinions) and they are just two faced arses.

Some random people who died in car crashes and the like have been given threads (there was on efor the two kids killed a coupel of weeks back iirc). why are they more deserving?

• Advertisement

. So I think as these are our friends, even if we don't get along I think they are alot more deserving of a thread as oppose to someone who wasn't a contributer to our forum's

I thought that topics were deserving of a thread if they are of interest to posters on boards. 70 posts in an hour and a half suggests that there is sufficient justification for a thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

So sad... Her family will be destroyed.

That was my whole point. Logic's passing was felt by all of boards, therefore in that regard, as a well known member, he warranted our respect and condolences. It didn't make any different that several other people had died that day, we might have sympathised but they didn't get a thread because frankly, they didn't mean anything immediate to boards.ie.

Now take Katy French. Let alone an online forum, she's a localized celebrity, and I can assure you was a far more known name to a lot more people then 'Logic' was, and thats of no meaning of disrespect to him. So why, is it acceptable to have people referring to her in disrespectful and immoral ways? Just because we didn't know her? Plenty of people did, and admired her, and I know that if I logged onto a website and found such a mine of defamity about someone I knew on the same day she passed away, I'd be.....well, I'd be disappointed, is the only word for want of a better construct I don't want to type.

Thank you Stekelly, you hit the nail here, exactly what I meant.

woooo232 wrote: »
    Oh and btw for those mentioning about the defmatory nature of some of the speculation, you cannot defame a dead person. So no matter what was said here or anywhere it would not be defamatory... However poor taste is a completely different matter and I am not encouraging the discussion of unsubstantiated rumour.
    Yeah, the possibility of defamation is no longer the case, but her family deserve some respect as the investigation into cause of death is still ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 coilly

The insensitivity of some assholes here! A young woman has lost her life, yes she was one of Irelands most succesful models and will therefore recieve more media attention than if she wasn't famous, how does that make it acceptable to show such disrespect? She gave her time to visit street children in India and helped GOAL raise money to help them. Didn't save the world, fine, but what harm has she done to anyone on this thread?

RIP Katy. A succesful, talented, beautiful and probably very pleasant young woman who achieved far more in her short life than any of the bitter losers who think its ok to disrespect her ever will.

Yeah, the possibility of defamation is no longer the case, but her family deserve some respect as the investigation into cause of death is still ongoing.

I completely agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 drugfree

att. moderator
    so i just signed up to this and after reading thru these was wondering if this is run by rte/tv3 for the censorship that appears to be in place on it, in that you cant tell the truth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

RIP.

What a completely immature comment by Silverfish. Not only insulting to the family of French but also to the family of the road victim mentioned. Using them to make a point that is not quite as 'deep' as he/she thinks.

You have to wonder why someone's first reaction to news that a young woman has died is to post a cynical comment online. As if looks are the sole reason why her death is in the news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

May she RIP and I feel very sorry for her family

But if and I say IF she died as a result of taking drugs I have little sympathy for her, people need to realise the risks of taking drugs which are mixed with all sorts of crap in this country.

drugfree wrote: »
    att. moderator
    so i just signed up to this and after reading thru these was wondering if this is run by rte/tv3 for the censorship that appears to be in place on it, in that you cant tell the truth?

There's a difference between what constitutes actual truth and what half the people here are just itching to be the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

RTE just reported that she wasn't at a party, as was previously reported, but was at a friends house with just three other people.
    It will be interesting to see what the investigation turns up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

att. moderator

What censorship?

Despite what the rags would have you believe, this country still runs on the principle of innocent until proven guilty. So does AH. If you want idle specualtion I reccommend you stay away from here and delete your account.

Regardless of who she is, we should respect the dead.

Some of you would be wise to stick to this maxim;
    If you've nothing good to say, say nothing at all

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

att. moderator

The post-mortem hasn't been carried out yet so no one knows how she died, yet. How can we tell the truth if we don't know it? All we can do is speculate which one of the mods has said will result in a ban and rightfully so in my opinion. Once the post-mortem is carried out and the facts come out then I presume we can discuss the cause of death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

A well known young lady dies and a not-so-well-known young lady dies. The media covers the story of the well known young lady in more depth. Who's at fault here? Either of the young ladies? The media? The idiots that lap up stories in gossip and celeb rags? I'm fairly sure it's not either of the deceased to be honest.

Having said this, the real crime here is the cynicism and insensitivity of Irish people in general. A thread like this (which is even much less aggressive and bile-filled than the ones about Katy French when she was still alive) makes me sick to think that I'm living amongst such foul, disgusting 'human beings'. Shame on all of you. I hope nobody ever speaks badly of one of your loved ones if ever any of their lives get cut short :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

irish1 wrote: »
    May she RIP and I feel very sorry for her family

But if and I say IF she died as a result of taking drugs I have little sympathy for her, people need to realise the risks of taking drugs which are mixed with all sorts of crap in this country.
    Jesus christ...... You can't just sympathise without throwing in the last comment, no?

I'm sure her family's hearts are warmed after your reply :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

att. moderator

No. We're run by the '3' mobile network.

Seriously, look up 'defamation' while I check if you're a returning banned muppet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Never heard of Katy French before the weekend, but have read bits and pieces since Sunday and it must be so heart-breaking for any parent/sibling/friend to lose a loved-one so young, so sad. My friends lost their little brother (20) in a drowning accident in September and their pain is still so raw and huge so I can only imagine that is what this girls family will be going through, it's awful :( RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

att. moderator
    You don't know what the truth is unless you know the family. In which other case, STFU.

att. moderator
    No, it's because there is no evidence yet and the investigation is ongoing. And before you say "oh come on, she was a model at a party, it goes with the territory", nothing has actually been proven.
    HavoK wrote:
    There's a difference between what constitutes actual truth and what half the people here are just itching to be the truth.
    Absolutely. It's like the way people are just gagging for Madeleine McCann's parents to be responsible for her disappearance - anything for a scandalous, soap opera-ish outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 drugfree

so to everyone expressing sympathies, do you agree with people being shot in their beds or in front of their kids? would you complain if a junkie robbed your bag? good riddance to druggie scum may more of them go in the very near future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

And before you say "oh come on, she was a model at a party, it goes with the territory".
    Well it would seem she wasn't even at a party, according to RTE.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

wtf? we tore into the pope when he died, and steve irwin... katy french is deserving of more respect than the pope?

when did Ah become respectable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

so to everyone expressing sympathies, do you agree with people being shot in their beds or in front of their kids? would you complain if a junkie robbed your bag? good riddance to druggie scum may more of them go in the very near future

You are a disgrace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Jesus christ...... You can't just sympathise without throwing in the last comment, no?

I'm sure her family's hearts are warmed after your reply :rolleyes:

Well sorry but if she was another unknown person who MAY have died as a result of taking drugs and not a famous model you probably wouldn't have an issue with my comment.

And I don't see why any mod would ban someone for talking about possible causes of death.

• Advertisement

What the fuk are you babbling about? Didn't we just point out that it hasn't been proven she died from taking drugs? She was at a house with a friends, she's a model, nope... still no proof whatsoever that she was taking drugs the night she took ill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

Karma sometimes comes around and does bad things to people. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

A sad situation. Whenever I saw her on TV she came across as a nice person. My thoughts are with her family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Should this not be merged/moved to the Celebrity forum?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Bye bye drugfree, R.I.P. Katie French and the spirit of this thread generally and through moderation gives me some hope for the people of Ireland.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement