Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

katy french dead

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭andyl222

Terry wrote: »
    Show some respect for the dead and for each other.

Any speculation on the cause of death will result in a ban.
    Any abuse directed at the deceased or her friends and family will result in a ban.
    Any abuse directed at other will result in a ban.

I have cleaned up this thread.
    Feel free to discuss this incident here if you wish.
    Note that there is another thread in Celeb and showbiz. The same rules apply there.

I'm all for respecting the dead, but surely speculation on the cause of death is not disrespectful if stated in a clear and honest manner. I mean that's outright censorship and in essence negates the idea of a messageboard altogether. Its your prerogative as a Mod to ban who ya want but I just think in this instance your being a little heavyhanded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Laslo wrote: »
    Karma sometimes comes around and does bad things to people. Good luck with it.
    Or in this case, Karoma :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Legalise cocaine.. it's the errr.. only way forward.. yeah! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1206/frenchk.html

this is a load of crap, like not that it's who she is, even though I hadn't known anything about her before all this but that's two people dead in the past 2 days, one from coke and this one likely to be the same....

Just wtf is being put in the **** as up until now coke related illnesses were extremely rare, bar panics etc....

andyl222 wrote: »
    I'm all for respecting the dead, but surely speculation on the cause of death is not disrespectful if stated in a clear and honest manner. I mean that's outright censorship and in essence negates the idea of a messageboard altogether. Its your prerogative as a Mod to ban who ya want but I just think in this instance your being a little heavyhanded.

Let me clarify, if for instance I were to begin my comment with "It's my opinion and not the opinion or beliefs of boards.ie as a whole......" surely this circumvents the defamation issue as I'm stating a private opinion based on my own information. It's not being stated as fact and as such has no place in the realm of libel/defamation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Mordeth wrote: »
    wtf? we tore into the pope when he died, and steve irwin... katy french is deserving of more respect than the pope?

when did Ah become respectable?

I'll be over in Lolocaust making jokes about this too, most likely. I don't care what happened as long as it has been established what happened. Speculating and repeating hearsay is hurtful to the memory of the dead person, to their family and to Boards.ie.

drugfree: I couldn't be bothered asking WTF you're banging on about. So have a ban. You only signed up to ask that question you claim - so you shouldn't mind.

Everyone: Back on-topic. Avoid speculating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

People seem to forget about the amount of charity work that she done. A lot more than other people in her position (me included and a lot of people round here)
    I have to say I would have enjoyed a pint in her company. She sounded like a good person up for a laugh, having the craic. She will be missed. :(
    I'm seeing parallels with her death and the death of George Best (A lot of people were of the opinion that he shouldn't have got a liver transplant yada yada yada) but the world would have been a sadder place without her presence.

BTW it would appear that she wasn't at a party (as per reports on RTE.ie), not that would have mattered a jot.

Karoma wrote: »
    I'll be over in Lolocaust making jokes about this too, most likely. I don't care what happened as long as it has been established what happened. Speculating and repeating hearsay is hurtful to the memory of the dead person, to their family and to Boards.ie.

drugfree: I couldn't be bothered asking WTF you're banging on about. So have a ban. You only signed up to ask that question you claim - so you shouldn't mind.

avoid speculating? thats bullsh*t.... You are denying the general public the right to discuss their own thoughts and opinions. I understand you're a moderator and you're in place to stop people being way out of line e.g. rascism,sexism etc etc. But surely people's opinions are beyond your remit, as long as they are portrayed in a respectful and appropriate manner.... Again i feel the mods are being a little heavy handed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

RIP Katy, its wrong to speculate on cause of death until its official, but its fairly obvious to everyone so leave it at that.
    Saddest part is only a few days ago she was celebrating her birthday.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

She just died why is it important for you to discuss why now, I think alot of regulars here feel that at the end of the day regardless of how she earned her money or enjoyed herself she was an Irish girl close to alot of us in age (according to the polls) and she has passed before she should.

• Advertisement

Keith C wrote: »
    RIP Katy, its wrong to speculate on cause of death until its official, but its fairly obvious to everyone so leave it at that.
    Saddest part is only a few days ago she was celebrating her birthday.....
    well thats an oxymoron, you can't speculate on a previously determined official result....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Let me clarify, if for instance I were to begin my comment with "It's my opinion and not the opinion or beliefs of boards.ie as a whole......" surely this circumvents the defamation issue as I'm stating a private opinion based on my own information. It's not being stated as fact and as such has no place in the realm of libel/defamation.

So if your father died in the company of friends and I published the following on boards, you'd be completely fine with it? I mean after all It'd only be my opinion, right? It's perfectly fine once I've clarified that...is that right?
    "It's my opinion and not the opinion or beliefs of boards.ie as a whole that andyl222's father died of a heart attack while engaged in a gay orgy at his home which is rumoured to be a get together for local ......"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

avoid speculating? thats bullsh*t.... You are denying the general public the right to discuss their own thoughts and opinions. I understand you're a moderator and you're in place to stop people being way out of line e.g. rascism,sexism etc etc. But surely people's opinions are beyond your remit, as long as they are portrayed in a respectful and appropriate manner.... Again i feel the mods are being a little heavy handed.

then take it to feedback this isn't the place for your comments. It has been mentioned many times that there is no free speech on boards, it is privately owned so if you want to post on it you follow there rules. if you don't like them apples then post on a different forum

Jackz wrote: »
    She just died why is it important for you to discuss why now, I think alot of regulars here feel that at the end of the day regardless of how she earned her money or enjoyed herself she was an Irish girl close to alot of us in age (according to the polls) and she has passed before she should.
    I agree, its a tragedy. As you stated she died before her time, and has opened alot of our eyes to our own mortality considering her youth and what not. I just feel that idle speculation is part and parcel of tragedy and to deny people that by threat of banning seems unfair...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Up to a few days ago katy french was only a name to me but sad to hear that sombody so young and talented has died regardless of the circumstances .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

regardless of what happened to poor Katy French ,she was fun it appears and bright and brought glamour to the papers and media and I am sure brightened up peoples lives .It is sad too lose her as it was for the young chap in Waterford the other day .We are all only human at the end of the day.

I'll start a thread here about how I think you rape children, abuse drugs and occasionally have intercourse with animals. We can both discuss our own thoughts and opinions then. \o/
    Hang on, it's ok to censor "racism, sexism etc etc"? what are they if not unfounded assumptions that serve to hurt? Same principle, no? This thread is about the death of Katy French. It's not about what you think happened based on hearsay. It is not an excuse to cause injury to her memory, or to her family or to Boards.ie. I'll most allow discussion of drug abuse or alien abduction or whatever the cause was, when it has been established.
    End of this discussion here. Take it up in Feedback if you insist.

For the last time: Get back on topic and stick to the rules outlined by Terry earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Karoma wrote: »

The topic is a woman who put herself in the media has died suddenly, she has previously admitted taking drugs and we have already seen the death a young man in waterford as a result of drugs, how in the name of god can the topic not include speculation??

HavoK wrote: »
    So if your father died in the company of friends and I published the following on boards, you'd be completely fine with it? I mean after all It'd only be my opinion, right? It's perfectly fine once I've clarified that...is that right?

well yeah, I'd be fine with it as you stated its your opinion and its a rumour and so should be viewed as such... I was previously unaware of how this place was run, and that free-speech is essentially non-existent. lesson learned.

• Advertisement

Hurakan wrote: »
    By her own self admission she stated she had previously taken drugs. This only supports the scum that walk our streets everyday and put innocent people at risk.
    That argument is getting really tired. You could argue about the ethics or lack thereof of so many products - like Coca Cola. Do you drink coke? Are you aware of the exploitation and abuse practised by that company. Or what about coffee plantations?
    And the clothes you're wearing were probably produced in a sweat-shop by little children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Why don't you go play Columbo on some other forum?

It's pretty pathetic that the woman has been dead only a few short hours and yet out from the woodwork come these holier-than-thou maggots eager to prove themselves the bastions of public order and morality.

Take it somewhere else, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 coilly

stepbar wrote: »
    People seem to forget about the amount of charity work that she done. A lot more than other people in her position (me included and a lot of people round here)
    I have to say I would have enjoyed a pint in her company. She sounded like a good person up for a laugh, having the craic. She will be missed. :(
    I'm seeing parallels with her death and the death of George Best (A lot of people were of the opinion that he shouldn't have got a liver transplant yada yada yada) but the world would have been a sadder place without her presence.

BTW it would appear that she wasn't at a party (as per reports on RTE.ie), not that would have mattered a jot.

Here, here. A pleasant, well meaning young woman. I certainly would have gone for a pint with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 liquid force

She was a young person with her whole life ahead of her what a tragic end, god help anyone who bad mouths her ,what goes around comes is all i will say.RIP Katy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Mr.S wrote: »
    as a matter of interest, do you scan the papers every day reading about all the young people who die and say a RIP to them?

Do you do the same and let the families know how much you couldnt car less the person died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

Silverfish wrote: »
    Dunno was she hot though, so it mightn't matter.

People die everyday. Threads do not go up everyday about random people dying. Why? Well - it's sad that people die but it's an everyday occurence. If someone puts up a thread "Joe Bloggs Died", it doesnt mean a thing as nobody knows who it is nor cares, although 99% of people will have a nice word of condolence.

When anyone in the public eye dies, especially at a young age, it evokes sympathy and reminds us all of the fragility of life. I dont think her looks have anything to do with it nor do the looks or otherwise of any random person dying in not warranting a thread.

It's intellectually dishonest and facetious IMO to suggest looks are the only reason why there are threads about Katy. A poker player called Chip Reese died the other day and there were Chip Reese RIP threads over in the Poker Forum, he was 56 and not very good looking FWIW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Hurakan wrote: »
    By her own self admission she stated she had previously taken drugs. This only supports the scum that walk our streets everyday and put innocent people at risk. Remember that young plumber lad killed earlier on this year when doing a nixer!!!! What did he do wrong??? The classic saying says "live by the sword, die by the sword!!!"

Well said. There is another classic saying; "You reap what you sow." She was the Irish equivalent of Paris Hilton.... a meaningless entity. Save your sympathies for overworked nurses and doctors in our so-called hospitals.

How about 2 threads, 1 for those who don't want to DISCUSS the topic and just want to pay their respects and 1 for those who want to DISCUSS the topic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

irish1 wrote: »
    Well sorry but if she was another unknown person who MAY have died as a result of taking drugs and not a famous model you probably wouldn't have an issue with my comment.

And I don't see why any mod would ban someone for talking about possible causes of death.

Why exactly does possibly taking drugs mean that she should not deserve sympathy? Can you give me a good reason? Cos there's a slight risk that she might die, therefore if she does die, it's her own fault? I wonder do you extend that logic to a sky-diver whos equipment is faulty. What about the fireman who was killed a few months ago in Bray? Sure it's a dangerous job, if he didn't want to die he should have done office work.

Give me the reason, please. Why does doing drugs mean you should not get sympathy?

Exactly. Self-appointed moral guardians piss me off - and I have actually never touched any illegal substance besides smoking a bit of doob every few months.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Give me the reason, please. Why does doing drugs mean you should not get sympathy?

They won't get it from me. Their families will, but they won't.

Everyone knows what drugs can do. They don't come with ingredients, every time you take them, you take a risk.
    You pay money to do something that everyone knows is potentially dangerous, and everyone has been warned about.

Firefighting - not a crime.
    Skydiving - not a crime.

Drugs - crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Why exactly does possibly taking drugs mean that she should not deserve sympathy? Can you give me a good reason? Cos there's a slight risk that she might die, therefore if she does die, it's her own fault? I wonder do you extend that logic to a sky-diver whos equipment is faulty. What about the fireman who was killed a few months ago in Bray? Sure it's a dangerous job, if he didn't want to die he should have done office work.

well, and i may be wrong here, but isnt it a crime?

arent you in fact engaging in an activity that results in many other peoples deaths and misery just to get your rocks off?

please dispute this if im wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

It's intellectually dishonest and facetious IMO to suggest looks are the only reason why there are threads about Katy.

edit: mis read post so ignore this post

Dudess wrote: »
    That argument is getting really tired. You could argue about the ethics or lack thereof of so many products - like Coca Cola. Do you drink coke? Are you aware of the exploitation and abuse practised by that company. Or what about coffee plantations?
    And the clothes you're wearing were probably produced in a sweat-shop by little children.

Am I missing something here or is there a massive difference between the products you mention, which are all legal (ethical or otherwise) and cocaine, which isn't?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

You pay money to do something that everyone knows is potentially dangerous, and everyone has been warned about.

yeah, like driving a car, or flying in an airplane, or getting on a skateboard....

what an argument...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Well said.

Comparing a fire fighter dying while serving his community to someone who takes ILLEGAL drugs and dies as a result is probably one of the worse posts I have read on here and I have a lot of bad posts.

BTW I'm NOT saying Katy French did die from taking drugs.

arent you in fact engaging in an activity that results in many other peoples deaths and misery just to get your rocks off?

please dispute this if im wrong

SPOT ON!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I think you missed the point.

The only reason there are threads about Katy is because she was 'hot'

Nobody cares about some poor girl dying in a crash, because she wasn't a model.

And I think that's just ****ty.
    OK. There's enough interest in Katy French that she was recently on Podge and Rodge, the Late Late show, Tubridy Tonight, Reality TV and all over the tabloids. That interest is only going to increase at a time like this.

blueser wrote: »
    Am I missing something here or is there a massive difference between the products you mention, which are all legal (ethical or otherwise) and cocaine, which isn't?
    The point was made that she was aiding and abetting drug lords (IF she had been taking drugs that night), therefore she doesn't deserve any sympathy, the point I was making was that most of us are guilty of aiding and abetting ruthless individuals and organisations at some level - not whether the product in question is legal or illegal.

Mordeth: You went too far with the last line of your now missing post. Attack a poster like that again and you're banned. The rest of your 'commentary' was apt and fine.

• Advertisement

Can a mod here please state what the story with this thread is, a ban threat was made but people are still speculating which I think is fair and proper but I don't want to get a ban despite how fair the discussion is only to have a mod turn around and say "You were warned"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I will destroy you like I destroyed katy french, Karoma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

What the f*ck is this all about? Why hasn't this thread been closed yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

They won't get it from me. Their families will, but they won't.

Everyone knows what drugs can do. They don't come with ingredients, every time you take them, you take a risk.

Everyone knows it's potentially dangerous, but it's usually NOT dangerous. The vast majority of people who use coke don't die. So therefore there is a slim chance of you dying, as there is a slim chance of your parachute not opening. Every time you go sky-diving, you take a risk. You pay money to do something that everyone knows is potentially dangerous, and everyone has been warned about it.

Hang on, is it the illegality, or the innate danger involved that removes your right to sympathy?

Skateboarding on private property is illegal. Someone does that, damages their spine and ends up in a wheelchair for the rest of their life. No sympathy?

What if I take coke in a country where it's legal? Do I still deserve to die?

And re: "supporting drug gangs" -- so for the sake of consistancy, everyone who uses illegal drugs, buys illegal merchandise, etc., is just getting what's coming to them if they die?
    Comparing a fire fighter dying while serving his community to someone who takes ILLEGAL drugs and dies as a result is probably one of the worse posts I have read on here and I have a lot of bad posts.

BTW I'm NOT saying Katy French did die from taking drugs.

Is it not a relevent point? If someone does not want to die, they will refrain from doing things that have more than a miniscule chance of death. Fire fighting is a dangerous job -- don't do it if you do not want to die.

Katy raised money for charity, probably more than you have as a result of her high profile. She still deserved death?

You're changing your story BTW too -- is it the danger involved or the illegality that you have a problem with?

Can a mod here please state what the story with this thread is, a ban threat was made but people are still speculating which I think is fair and proper but I don't want to get a ban despite how fair the discussion is only to have a mod turn around and say "You were warned"
    Others are discussing taking drugs or have gone off-topic discussing a hypothetical situation that really should be saved for Humanities and have not stated that KF took drugs and that this lead to the unfortunate circumstances that followed - that should be a clear line. Implying (read: innuendo) may get you banned. Use your cop-on and there shouldn't be an issue. Feel free to "speculate" off-line or on another board where I don't have to put up with it.

mordeth: I'll destroy you like Stev destroys bedsheets.

fuzzywiggle: Several threads have been created regarding the subject, both in AH and Celeb & Showbiz. There is clearly a demand to discuss the subject matter. If people calm down and discuss the matter based on what is known and avoid hurtful speculation, then there isn't a problem. So far, it's 2 or 3 bans and lots of deleted posts - it's our effort so that the remotely sensible people can discuss a subject that they want to. It'll be locked if people fail to cop on and we think it's too much effort.

Hang on, is it the illegality, or the innate danger involved that removes your right to sympathy?
    Yeah I don't understand people using that argument. So what if it's illegal - how the fuk does that affect anyone else? It's not as if it's on a par with dangerous driving and killing someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 foxface

Why don't you go play Columbo on some other forum?

It's pretty pathetic that the woman has been dead only a few short hours and yet out from the woodwork come these holier-than-thou maggots eager to prove themselves the bastions of public order and morality.

great point, well made.

i find it hard to comprehend some of the comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

I agree. I've only had this brought to my attention and I think its not the time nor place to pick through the details. - Devore locking the waterford city thread about the youth who died recently

Can the same not be done here. Thread is a mess

Right. Thread locked. It's a mess between defamatory statements, backseat moderators and freedum of speech morons... it's a mess.
    You have shown that you cannot discuss Katie French and her death in an appropriate manner here.

- Pay your respec' in Celeb & Showbiz.

- You may discuss whether A Celeb (No specifics) is worthy of a 'RIP thread', or whether someone who dies from drug abuse but has otherwise done better things in their life or whatever it was you were discussing in Humanities.

The bans stay in place. End of discussion here. Take it to feedback if you must.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

First off, I'd like to apologise to Karoma.
    I cleaned up the thread, unlocked it and thn fúcked off to the pub (I'm not drunk. Just had a few).
    He bore the brunt of this crap this evening and deserves the respect of everyone here for putting up with it. Kudos to you, Karoma.
    Mordeth wrote: »
    wtf? we tore into the pope when he died, and steve irwin... katy french is deserving of more respect than the pope?

when did Ah become respectable?
    Go and look at the Steve Irwin thread from when he died.
    You'll find I implemented a similar policy back than.
    As for the posts Karoma deleted, I would have banned you for them.
    As far as I'm concerned, you have no chances left in AH.

Please read up on Irish censorship laws.
    Don't agree with them?
    Talk to your local TD.

No. The government is denying the general public the right to speculate and common decency is denying you the right to slander the reputation of someone who has just died.

The topic is a woman who put herself in the media has died suddenly, she has previously admitted taking drugs and we have already seen the death a young man in waterford as a result of drugs, how in the name of god can the topic not include speculation??
    No. Karoma put it best when he basically told you to be quiet.

well yeah, I'd be fine with it as you stated its your opinion and its a rumour and so should be viewed as such... I was previously unaware of how this place was run, and that free-speech is essentially non-existent. lesson learned.
    Again, the government at work.
    We don't make the laws. We just obey them for fear of being sued.
    Yes, it's a bad situation to be in, but that's just the way things are in this country.
    You can thank the hippy liberals for that.

How about 2 threads, 1 for those who don't want to DISCUSS the topic and just want to pay their respects and 1 for those who want to DISCUSS the topic?
    Unfortunately that would not work.
    Just look at how this thread has turned out. Not to mention the one in C&S.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement