Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Page link.

Options
  • 06-12-2007 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,
    I recently designed a site for my own business with a friend. We have ran into a small problem. I have been looking through different sites and see that they have a link built into the site data. I am told that this allows Google etc to crawl the site pages and is explained in the forums that i have looked at as A-B-C.
    We designed the site using Coffee Cup and it is getting great results regarding keyword search. I was wondering if anyone can tell us where to imput this "LINK" in our data and what exactly needs to be inserted.
    I hope you understand me as I am a complete novice at this.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

To be honest I'm unsure of what you mean ... do you have a link to your site ?

You should probably have Meta data in there
    You should probably have an xml sitemap in there as well as a normal sitemap
    You should probably link to the various pages on your site with a menu and make sure that if you have a page it is accessible by another page on your site

(as I said I'm unsure of what you mean its probably something really basic I'm just not seeing at the moment)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Woody 1

Thanks for the quick reply. I am usless at this as i explained. We have all the meta data but we do not have a link for the internal pages. I can give you the site address if you like?

fire ahead and pm me and I'll take a quick look ... cooking dinner at the moment in case there's a delay :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Do you have an example of the URL type you're looking to use? From another website that you know uses this? Just so we know what we're looking for.

Would this be of any use to you. link href="text_normal.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
    I'm not sure if this is what we need. I read recently that pages need to link to each and this is what i thought was needed. Maybe the site is fine for what i use it for...

• Advertisement

Hmm... to be honest I'm not entirely sure

Your images for the most part are lacking alt tags (google doesn't know what the image is ... YET) ..

Your pages have spaces in the names this I think is a problem you'll find most sites use "-" or "_" instead of the spaces ... while it doesn't look great its better

You may also want to get backlinks to your site. (Other sites linking back to your site this helps a HUGE amount with SEO)

Apart from that I can't really see any major problems

design comments on your site ...

The site is quite nice :)

OH MY GOD!!! you're using absolute positioning for everything this is a definite no no

I don't like your linked images taking me to a page displaying the image alone.

Edit: you should really remove your CSS from your pages its not related to your content as such ... it formats it yes so it shouldn't be included in the file

Thanks a million for the help. Like i said i don't know much about this type of thing. My friend did most of the work and my job was to get the keywords, Tags, site description and names. He did it all from America and did not know what a website was until we decided to do it.
    Thanks again i will forward the info on to him.

no problem ... maybe someone else knows what this A-B-C thing you speak of is

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

hey,
    In general answer top your query:
    yes, its just a way for informing the browser of the document chain.
    Probably more suited/used when the internet was for documents and pages that were read in order: page1, next will be page 2, next will be page 3.
    So if your on page 2, you use <link> to point to the previous page, and to the next. Basically you can <link> to *any* other resource, with its most common use now being for stylesheet.
    It's not something you need be concerned of, as I assume your site has some sort of menu

For the example you gave:
    From reading forbairt's comments (as there is no url to follow) it appears that you have all your page styles in each individual page.
    Usually this would all be collected into one style sheet document and referenced as a resource in each page with the <link> tag

Hope that helps
    Ian

Advertisement