Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BRAINS NEEDED: Fixed Wireless Between Offices

Options
  • 06-12-2007 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Now this one might be a long shot so I'm going to put it out on several fourms internationally and see what we get back.

We have say 2 offices in Ireland, spread across 250km let's just say one in Dublin and one in Galway (or even Athlone).

At the moment this company is using leased lines between each site for all comms and they are looking at a longer term faster more cost effective option (long term). With the leased lines they are right now at the mercy of Eircom regardless of who the supplier is.

So, we are now going to look at wireless. Now, to be honest I'm not finding what we really need on the market, so I turn to you.

Key Requirements:
    ==> A fixed wireless link between Dublin and Galway (or even Athlone).

==> Fully autonomous and independent system (not relient on any ISP or provider)

==> Offers 54-30Mbps of speed.

==> Little or no maintance after initial setup.

Now we found many options on the web, however the range is only circa 40km, so I guess I'm looking at the wrong products. So, I assume we need some kind of ground based satellete system that is not relient on LoS.

Right so that's where we are at, does anyone want to pull a solution out of the hat? Is such a product feasible or even technically possible?

I'm not keen on pulling bandwidth or a service from a 3rd party, they want this system to be independently owned and operated.

Rgds,
    Joe :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

No point in doing wireless over that distance. You'd be better off doing wireless from your office in Galway to the nearest POP of an ISP like Irish Broadband, then using fibre to get the connection back to Dublin.

You could also separate your traffic in Galway by getting a second connection to an ISP and removing the Internet traffic from your Dublin - Galway link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭jleavy

ro2 wrote: »
    No point in doing wireless over that distance. You'd be better off doing wireless from your office in Galway to the nearest POP of an ISP like Irish Broadband, then using fibre to get the connection back to Dublin.

You could also separate your traffic in Galway by getting a second connection to an ISP and removing the Internet traffic from your Dublin - Galway link.

Ya, this is looking more and more like it's not technically possible which is a pity really. My impression is that orbital Satellite uplinks are extremely slow and very expensive.

Now, here's another one. I wonder would any BB provider connect both our offices as normal, then setup a static route, using their equipment between both offices. So, we would not actually buy internet off them, both we would connect both offices virtually, and we would not use their WAN bandwidth to the WWW.

Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 azi

If it's Dublin and Galway, you could get a L2 link from the ESB or Smart without it ever touching any eircom infrastructure.

250km wireless links are only possible if you have about 800m height over ground on either end (curvature of the earth!)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Irish Broadband can do L2VPNs over their network. I'm sure Smart would do it too.

Do you have a budget for the link or a bandwidth requirement? If you let me know the areas the two buildings are in I could find out for you (pm if you want).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

You can get "up to 40 Megabit/s" from Eutelsat IP Connect, though that kind of bandwidth wil cost serious money and the high latency may cause you problems.
    http://www.eutelsat.org/products/broadband-ip-connect.html

Wireless using microwave link gear via one or more hilltop masts is a possibility. These guys may be able to advise further:
    http://www.mbs.ie/radio.htm
    http://www.technico.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

For Wireless, you will have to go indirect over microwave for that sort of speed and distance...

Depending on where the sites are some ISP's like Smart, Digiweb, IBB etc. already have infastructure that you may be able to buy a slice of it.

I know with Smart it is certainly a possibility ( had 8 of those links !! )

They may backhaul over E|Net or ESBT, but it will be at L2 so it will look like a virutal wire to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Your best bet is using a provider like Airspeed.ie they would setup a 40mb LAN extension from Dublin to Galway using microwave circuits from both locations to the nearest POP and fibre between. E.g. Dublin --> Three Rock --> Telcity

Expect to Pay roughly €14,000 / month for a 40mb connection

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

Give the IBB Business Sales guys a call.
    They can do Layer 2 and Layer 3 VPN's over their network.
    AFAIK, Most regional sites are backhauled over Fibre, and they'll offer you any bandwidth you want (the only restriction is your pocket)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭merkuree

As previously stated, local microwave link and backhaul FX.....but it will cost.

Alternative might be to consider hosting operations for company in a datacenter in Galway and Dublin.....and use datacenter redundancy and bandwidth to scale comms as required over time....plus you get multi ISP peering

Not familiar with the irish hosting market but use this approach in other markets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Look at options off the eNET MAN's which will connect you back to all the main datacentres in Dublin...

Feel free to PM me for more details, or with the exact locations and I can give you an idea of what carriers can reach you and with what services...

• Advertisement
Advertisement