Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another question for athiests

Options
  • 06-12-2007 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭juanveron45

Would ye be disapointed to find when ye die that ye were wrong

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

I don't expect that many of us would look forward to an eternity of pain. I'd be rather disappointed at the prospect of that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I wouldn't be disappointed that I no longer ceased to exist after death
    The situation and possible deity that greeted me would probably influence my feelings somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Juanveron, you haven't yet replied to your first thread, to rebuke or acknowledge the points that were made in reply to your question.

Depends on if I go to Heaven or Hell doesn't it?

I'd be pretty p1ssed off to go to Hell, especially if my biggest sin was questioning and challenging authority, in the name of freedom, truth and justice for humanity.

If I went to Heaven, I would be surprised, but not disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Not at all, I'd be delighted if there was an afterlife. Surely I'd get into heaven though? I can't see god having a grudge against me over a silly little misunderstanding :)

Yeah, Im with Jesus on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Imagine a man comes up to you and says give me all your money or i will destroy you everyone you ever meet and a million more people. And you will spend eternity suffering in a lake of fire. There is a vanishingly small chance he has these powers and would do this. Would you hand over your money?

If you did hand over all your money because everyone else did and you had been told from an early age that this man did have these powers. Would you be disappointed if i did not pay him and he was then shown not to have these powers?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

cavedave wrote: »
    Imagine a man comes up to you and says give me all your money or i will destroy you everyone you ever meet and a million more people. And you will spend eternity suffering in a lake of fire. There is a vanishingly small chance he has these powers and would do this. Would you hand over your money?

If you did hand over all your money because everyone else did and you had been told from an early age that this man did have these powers. Would you be disappointed if i did not pay him and he was then shown not to have these powers?

What would Hank do? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Would you be disappointed when Allah casts you into a dark place full of nightmares because your worshipped a false God?

Would you be disappointed when you descended into the icy hells that the ancient Norse believed in?

The list goes on and on. Modern Christianity is just one more religion in a long chain of crazy belief systems, each of which make mutually exclusive claims about what will happen when we die. You're not special.

I guess juanveron45 is not going to reply to this one either...

sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Depends on what I was wrong about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Would you be disappointed if you walked up to the pearly gates and Zeus was there? Somethin tells me he wouldn't be too pleased with you worshipping some other c*nt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭juanveron45

Firstly most of ye either didnt read my question or mis interrpeted it I didnt mention god I said what if ye were to find ye were wrong that can mean any god you believe in ,even zeus.what i meant was on the whole existence of an afterlife whatever that may be, thats what the fundemental belief of athiest is also can you please explain poster what your trying to use the following analogy to show because forgive my ignorance I just dont get it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Juanveron, whether I'd be disappointed on finding myself in an afterlife (i.e 'wrong') would obviously depend on what that afterlife was like.

It's a pointless question anyway as we're not wrong ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

can I take my 72 virgins now on credit?

what i meant was on the whole existence of an afterlife whatever that may be, thats what the fundemental belief of athiest is
    No, atheism is about gods, not an afterlife
    By definition of the word, like...

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭SubjectSean

cavedave wrote: »
    Imagine a man....... Would you be disappointed if i did not pay him and he was then shown not to have these powers?

If you do not pay the imaginary man I will be heartbroken :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

please explain poster what your trying to use the following analogy to show because forgive my ignorance I just dont get it

There is an argument called Pascals Wager where because the costs of belief are so low compared to the possibly infinite costs of non belief it is argued you should believe in God.You can turn this around to Pascals Mugger where the costs of belief are low compared to the possibly infinite costs of non belief. If you would not pay a Pascals mugger who claims to have magic powers then you should not take Pascals Wager and believe in God "just in case" either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Wicknight wrote: »
    Depends on what I was wrong about?
    The chick was actualy a dude!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

bluewolf wrote: »
    No, atheism is about gods, not an afterlife
    By definition of the word, like...
    Exactly!

juanveron45 - you have two options. Stop creating new threads and then virtually ignoring them, or begone from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

womoma wrote: »
    Yeah, Im with Jesus on this one.

That's one down, just eleven more to go ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

No way! I'd be happy to finally know the truth.

Imagine all that the human race knows now. Imagine in 4 million years what we'll know (assuming we survive :p). I assume that any knowledge we have now will seem as primative as any ancient civilisation we know today.

Nothing is true, all is permitted :D

Peace.
    AD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Firstly most of ye either didnt read my question or mis interrpeted it I didnt mention god I said what if ye were to find ye were wrong that can mean any god you believe in ,even zeus.what i meant was on the whole existence of an afterlife whatever that may be, thats what the fundemental belief of athiest is also can you please explain poster what your trying to use the following analogy to show because forgive my ignorance I just dont get it

As aidan24326 points out it is impossible to know if you would be disappointed if you don't know what happens instead.

A magic genie appears, casts a teleportation spell on you, sends you some where that isn't Cornwall. Are you disappointed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

If there is an after-life i can imagine what it would be like for us atheists. Two bouncers at the gates asking for ID and if we dont have our "good work done on earth stamps" we wont get in. Then there will be a huge play pen for all believers in christianity, islam etc as they will be far too young (in cosmological "common sense" terms) to get into the after-life due to the fact that they still believe in fairytales such as aladin, princess toad head and the bible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

If anything happens after I'm dead to this world, then (a) I'll need to modifiy my definition of what "dead" is, and (b) it will be a new adventure, whatever it is. The idea that we must say certain things in this world, or be punished in the "next world", is only one possibility, and a very old and narrow-minded one at that. See "Pascal's Wager" . :rolleyes:

Advertisement