Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overclocking old school rig

• 06-12-2007 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭

Hey, have an old socket 939 rig. Picked up a amd athlon 4000+ 2.4 on ebay for good price. installed just there.
    Have a large "blue orb2" Cooler on it (bought on komplett ages ago) And reckon it would be an ideal time to learn about overclocking, and give it ago.

Can anyone recommend a program (running vista home premium) I can download to monitor temperature?
    And as for the overclocking, no nothing about howto do it, any good sites?

Cheers

EDIT: Since posting, ran that thingy on vista to show system performance. I was at subscore 4.2 when I had my old processor (determind by lowest score, and 4.2 was the lowest, old processor)

And with the new faster one, my performance has dropped, to 4.1

wtf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

what was your old CPU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

3500+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not the best example to start overclocking with but should get to 2.6-2.7 with that cooler. What sort of memory do you have and what board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

HavoK wrote: »
    Not the best example to start overclocking with but should get to 2.6-2.7 with that cooler. What sort of memory do you have and what board

epox enpa+ ultra I think. Just two, 512 sticks of kompletts cheapest RAM, from when I built it like, 2 years back.
    Any reason vista thinks old processor is better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

google coretemp or coretemp beta.i,m using large 5inch high cpu heatsink akasa,on a 4000+ amd cpu .Core 0 is 32 degrees,core 1 31 degrees.TRY motherboard monitor prog for the mobo temp.So far temp is max 32,most of the time cpu is 7per cent utilisation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement