Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Affect of Video Games on Society

Options
  • 06-12-2007 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

I'm currently doing a report about the affect of video games on society and would really appreciate it if you could fill out a short questionnaire I made?

http://www.my3q.com/go.php?url=shane1984/22392

Thanks alot for your help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

The effect of video games on society ;)

Completed your questionnaire :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Pacifico wrote: »
    The effect of video games on society ;)

Completed your questionnaire :)

Clearly gaming has effected my ability to differentiate words that are quite similar heh :)

I still don't fully understand the difference...care to edumacate me?

Oh and thanks for doin' the questionaire :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

completed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 battytest

I completed it but there was no option for IQ 200+

completed
    battytest wrote: »
    I completed it but there was no option for IQ 200+

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Its the effect of something or something affected me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

There you go, another completed survey.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I did it.

Pacifico wrote: »
    Its the effect of something or something affected me :p

Hmmm I think it'll take a while for me to get used to it heh.
    There you go, another completed survey.
    Silverfish wrote: »
    I did it.

Thanks again. Have to say been a great number of people doing it from just posting it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

done

• Registered Users Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Done, but posting it on a games forum will probably get no one picking c on the last one...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

done. There also should be an option if your 18 or over and dont play games during the day.(doesn't let you put in 0)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

Done

done. There also should be an option if your 18 or over and dont play games during the day.(doesn't let you put in 0)

Well, its a survey on the effect of games, so the input of someone who doesn't play games wouldn't help really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Done... although that last question was a little random? Why was that thrown in there? I can't see how you are going to find a correlation between gamers and charitable people.

Also, wish i'd known about this site when I was in college, would of helped a lot with some of my reports.

Personally, I think electronic gaming is bad for soceity... that being said i'm addicted so I don't think i'll ever stop. I see man eventually morphing into a blob with 2 eyes, vocal cords that can only utter the word "pwnd" and having no arms but 2 hands with 15 thumbs and 200 fingers on each.

We have bodies that can run and climb yet we spend a lot of lives sitting and looking at screens. Ask yourself if man really wants to be in front of electronics all the time why do a lot of people have panoramas as their wallpaper, or choose to lie on a beach for a holiday rather than in front of their big screen tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

done, but i found the question

"how many hours would you have spent gaming per day between the age of 5 and 18?"

a bit hard to answer. taking an average over 13 years was kinda strange.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    or choose to lie on a beach for a holiday rather than in front of their big screen tv.

Speak for yourself. Yeah the graphics are better outside, but the brightness is way too high, or else way too dark with no brightness control.

Also, no save points, what's that about?

(I'm allergic to outside, so I can't lie on a beach for my holidays, so that's my excuse).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Completed.

The overall results so far dont paint a horrifying picture, thankfully.
    Interesting questions, but maybe you should have added a couple more questions like, "does it affect your social life?" and maybe more positive questions since it seems like the survey is more geared toward the negative aspects. Just my opinion and nit picking :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Done
    Asbad wrote: »
    Interesting questions, but maybe you should have added a couple more questions like, "does it affect your social life?" and maybe more positive questions since it seems like the survey is more geared toward the negative aspects.

Agreed. Maybe some questions like, taking part in any gaming related social activities. Making friends through gaming.

I for one got intrested in computers from playing games, and have now started in an IT career, a positive aspect I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Question 14 could've done with a couple more answers tbh... you don't neccesarily have to be fat to be in bad health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

"Do you find your job, school or college work is or has been affected in a negative way by your gaming?"

61 say no
    22 say yes

This is utter rubbish, every single gamer I know and I must know dozens by this stage will confess it has affected at least one of those 3 negatively..

Never late for work cos of a late night session? never studied less cos of an exam cos of gaming? cmon.. fill it in honestly.. perhaps some gamers here are just trying to throw gaming in some kind of positive light..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

ah i miss red it, i though it said how much time you spent playing a day between the hours of 5 and 18

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Varkov wrote: »
    I for one got intrested in computers from playing games, and have now started in an IT career, a positive aspect I would say.

lol, that is like word for word what I wrote as a positive side of gaming.

Silverfish wrote: »
    Well, its a survey on the effect of games, so the input of someone who doesn't play games wouldn't help really.

Exactly
    uglyjohn wrote: »
    done, but i found the question

"how many hours would you have spent gaming per day between the age of 5 and 18?"

a bit hard to answer. taking an average over 13 years was kinda strange.

I was just trying to get a rough figure of how different our gaming habits were as youths in school with lots of time, compared to adults that allegedly have less time to themselves.
    Asbad wrote: »
    Completed.

The overall results so far dont paint a horrifying picture, thankfully.
    Interesting questions, but maybe you should have added a couple more questions like, "does it affect your social life?" and maybe more positive questions since it seems like the survey is more geared toward the negative aspects. Just my opinion and nit picking :)
    Varkov wrote: »
    Done

Agreed. Maybe some questions like, taking part in any gaming related social activities. Making friends through gaming.

I wanted more questions along those lines too, but I didn't want to make it a monsterous questionnaire. So I just put in the one open ended question about the positives from gaming.

I'm a gamer too. I'm tryin' not to be biased and finding out as many negative facts about gaming as possible. Because I already have a mountain load of positives.

And to the people wondering about the charity question, it was one quick way to judge a persons morality. Obviously can't be 100% accurate on judging a persons character by 20 short questionnaire answers. But it's just a college report so it will have to do. Let the judging commence! heh :p

Thanks to everyone that filled it out. Just need 5 more to reach 100 and then the real work has to start :( heh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

think i just made your 100th;) cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

filled in, hope it helps

• Advertisement

seraphimvc wrote: »
    think i just made your 100th;) cheers
    filled in, hope it helps

Thanks for that. I'll publish my report to the web when I'm done if anybody wants to read it. I'll post it here.

And I'll be prepared for the critics amoung us heh

Advertisement