Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

place to compare co2 emmissions

Options
  • 06-12-2007 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

is there a website which allows you to compare c02 emissions?

is there any device extra piece of tech that would reduce the co2 emissions.?

i have no feel for co2 emissions, broadly speaking is it in line with the bigger the car, the bigger the emissions? or is it related to fuel economy, eg. 30mpg - more c02/km as opposed to 60mpg - less co2/km?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Theres several. Theres a few posted in the main thread about the new taxes. The thing is though, assumign your considering a new car, until the government release an official list for all cars I wouldnt make any decisions (only matters for cars reg'd after 1st july 08 ) because the figures seem to vary a bit depending on who you believe.

We are looking at gettign a new diesel Scenic. The Renault site reckons its 138 g/km, whereas varipus othe sites reckon 142, 143 or 144 so who to believe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oilsheik

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

www.parkers.co.uk
    Look at the review for your car, co2 is at the end of the review.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Something that I've been wondering about all this CO2 emissions lark:
    Surely the quantity of CO2 emitted per kilometre will depend entirely on what speed the vehicle is doing?
    A vehicle going 100-120km/h on the open road has to be producing less CO2/km than the same vehicle in stop/start gridlock.

Where are these published CO2/km figures coming from?

Are they the maximum the testers can get out of the thing, or some sort of theoretical average that may or may not bear any resemblance to how the vehicle is used in the real world?
    Another compelling reason (in my opinion) to put all/most of these enviro-taxes directly on fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Surely though if you've had a new lambda sensor fitted, or exhaust changed in an old car, the emissions will be much improved. Is the new suggested tax regime going to take that into account. My car had excellent emissions at the last NCT despite being 9 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭10-10-20

AFIK, the CO2 value is going to be based on an approved manufacturers value and not on the last NCT reading. That's what I took from what the minister said yesterday, in that the NCT method would have been prefereable but would have limited payback in terms of CO2 reductions.

Hence, you still need to replace a faulty lambda to pass the NCT, but it won't affect your pocket by more than the re-test rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Old Jim

oilsheik wrote: »

Surely this can't be right from the SIMI website:
    MAZDA3 SEDAN
    1.6 litre (105bhp) Comfort 221 g/Kg CO2
    1.6 litre (105bhp) Touring 221
    1.6 litre (105bhp) Touring A/T 242
    1.6 litre Tdi (110bhp) Touring 196

€2K to tax an 1.6 auto!

Must be a mistake on the SIMI's part....
    Maybe referring to one of the larger engines...

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/Review.aspx?model=1181&page=6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Must be a mistake on the SIMI's part....
    Maybe referring to one of the larger engines...

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/Review.aspx?model=1181&page=6
    if you look at most C02 readings, the automatics are all higher, in all marques i think.

tred wrote: »
    if you look at most C02 readings, the automatics are all higher, in all marques i think.

OK, good point, but I still don't think it justifies €2k!
    Auto is a ~5% loss of efficiency, not 100%!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

I think the OP is more looking for a site that can compare two or more different choices to do a direct comparison on one screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

dudara wrote: »
    Surely though if you've had a new lambda sensor fitted, or exhaust changed in an old car, the emissions will be much improved. Is the new suggested tax regime going to take that into account. My car had excellent emissions at the last NCT despite being 9 years old.

Old cars (reg'd pre july 08) are being taxed at the old cc based rates, so it doesnt matter what the co2 rating is. Cars reg'd after july 08 will be taxed on the co2 system and will be at the say tax band for their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

What about VRT? Is that retrospective?

Anyone know how to calculate VRT with the new system, is there any web based calculator out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

eth0_ wrote: »
    What about VRT? Is that retrospective?

Anyone know how to calculate VRT with the new system, is there any web based calculator out?

It'll be current calculator until near June anyway but I think the new system only affects NEW cars !

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mccannf

http://www.sei.ie/app_trs_search.asp

Note: M6 after a model means Manual 6-speed, A5 = Automatic, etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

emission data for UK cars registered since Jan 1997
    http://www.smmtco2.co.uk/

Advertisement