Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lung excerciser's

• 06-12-2007 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Has anyone used a lung excerciser device before. Are they very beneficial for diving purposes. I've done a couple of intro dives and have found that I tend to use up my tanks a bit quickly so was thinking of trying these devices before trying another dive. I think they basically consist of a mouth piece which restricts breathing. Also, I've heavily smoked for years which I need to tackle also. Anyone have any advice for conserving air as I'm not sure if I'd be willing to spend money on another dive without getting my lungs in better shape first as its a bit frustrating to have to come up too soon.

Thanks.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

This is a good article in Dive Magazine a BSAC Monthly much of it common sense;

http://www.divemagazine.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=3116&v=4&sp=

Benny

P.S. Whats a lung exerciser?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Benny-c wrote: »
    P.S. Whats a lung exerciser?

A wife...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

Peace wrote: »
    A wife...

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Alias G wrote: »
    Has anyone used a lung excerciser device before. Are they very beneficial for diving purposes. I've done a couple of intro dives and have found that I tend to use up my tanks a bit quickly so was thinking of trying these devices before trying another dive. I think they basically consist of a mouth piece which restricts breathing. Also, I've heavily smoked for years which I need to tackle also. Anyone have any advice for conserving air as I'm not sure if I'd be willing to spend money on another dive without getting my lungs in better shape first as its a bit frustrating to have to come up too soon.

Thanks.

Alias G,

Firstly, you should cut out or at least cut down on the smokes, they do terrible things to you, especially if you're diving. (as an ex-smoker, I can appreciate the difference).

Secondly, your best bet to improve your air usage would be to follow the advice in the article Benny-C linked to. Simple steps like that make a huge difference. If you're diving with PADI, doing the Peak Performance Bouyancy specialty might be useful to help reduce the amount of air you're using on bouyancy control.

Thirdly, i'm not sure if you're intending to use an air restrictor while diving or before diving. I'd say under no circumstances to use anything that restricts the amount of air you're getting while diving. It's not a good idea!

Lastly, I'm not sure of how much diving experience you have, but as you get more experience, your air use will moderate quite a lot.

Keep up the diving though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hey Alias. New divers will tend to use more air until they learn to relax more in the water. Also as a new diver you tend to carry more weight than you need which you will find you are reducing over time. Less weight means less air. Ask your next dive buddy to show you how to breath efficiently in the water. Being physically fit will let you use less air and you know yourself about the smokes.......

• Advertisement
Advertisement