Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun repair

Options
  • 06-12-2007 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I recently inherited a Winchester Model 101 U/O from my late Uncle, this gun was his pride and joy – see pictures attached.

However over the years the wear and tare has taken its toll. A section of the stocked was broken and glued back all there are a number of marks along both side of the barrel. I would like to restore the Gun as there are some beautiful engraving’s on it. I have been asking around about rebluing the barrels and getting conflicting reports about weather it is worthwhile or not. I would be interested to get some opinions on this one. Also I want to get the stock repaired as it is also not the correct measurement for me.

If anyone has opinion on how to proceed as well as some good gun smiths (Munster) I would appreciate the advice.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

http://www.surplusrifle.com/downloads.asp

look at the video for reblueing it might give you some ideas.

Thats a nice gun to inherit - hope it goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

thanks for the good wishes Zaraba.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Hello there Kerryman. I wouldn't worry too much about the external wear and tear on the barrel. A reblueing job will do the trick if you want to do that at all. If you want to prevent corrosion setting in wipe it down with an oily rag and it'll stay like that for years. If there's no pitting you've no worries in the barrel department. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a new stock and getting it fitted by a smith. And if the gun is mechanically sound you're rock'n'rolling. If not a litlle bit of work down the lines of a good clean-up and a general "full service" would tend to do the job on a quality gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Hi Kerryman,
    The " conflicting reports " are they from a competent - well respected gunsmith?
    Are you planning on doing the work yourself or letting it out?

" there are a number of marks along both side of the barrel." That looks like corrosion and some pitting has set in on the exterior of the barrels. There is rust/corrosion on and around the rib and that is troublesome. Is the rib loose?

How are the insides of the barrels? Any corrosion?

Where is the glued chip - on the heel? Close-up photo of break would be nice.

How did you determine that the stock does not fit?

• Advertisement

Thanks Lads

Inside she is perfect, I have been using this gun for years and it is working fine - it only became my property recently.

There is a section reglued to the stock near the heel going forward approx 1/3 of the way along the stop, hard to notice as it was a good job.

The clean up and the rust I cam deal with myself no problem there, but if rebluing is needed or a stock mod I will hand it in the right guy.

For the stock measurment I am using the old rule, sit the end of the stock against the inside of your elbow and your middle finger should be at the trigger.

I have asked about the stok before and was told it may not be a easy part to find.

Any further info appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

KerryM,

From what you say and what is visable you stock does not need replacing.

LOP, the stock should be as long as the shooter can comfortable mount and swing. Longer stocks point and control recoil better, but too long and and it will catch on clothing and be slow to mount. Too short and one will feel a sharp belt as thumb makes contact with nose.
    "So just what is the best way to check gun fit? I believe the most conclusive way to find out where your gun shoots is to shoot it! That makes sense doesn’t it? You can peer down the barrel in front of the mirror as much as you like but the final evaluation of the gun in the hands of its owner is an individual thing and can only be positively identified on a pattern board. This is a thick steel plate about four feet square, the center of which is about four feet from the ground. There is a central mark, which is the target. Stand about sixteen yards away, to use the board, and focus on the target area in the center. Mount and lower the gun twice, and on the third time as the gun hits the shoulder, fire. Do not aim the gun like a rifle. An area should emerge, after five or six shots, where the bulk of the shot is concentrated, and for every inch that the pattern is “off” target, the stock will need to be adjusted by a 1/16 th of an inch." Peter Blakeley.

http://www.peteblakeley.com/custom.htm

Could not find any stocks on the UK Ebay but the US ebay had a few:
    http://search.ebay.com/winchester-101-stock_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQdfspZ1QQfromZR40QQssPageNameZRC0021?_trksid=p1638.m120

Midwest has new.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=winchester-model-101-12-gauge-butt-stocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

Has anyone any info on actual gunsmiths!!
    as in names and locations.
    I need one to adjust triggers for me!
    sounds like a nice piece off kit there that you inherited!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

The only gun smith I knew of was Tony Curran in the Gun Gallery in Drogheda. The Gun Gallery is no more but Tony is in Ardee Sports (wholesaler) in Pepperstown

what part of the country are u in?

• Advertisement
Advertisement