Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs and Clubs in Galway

Options
  • 06-12-2007 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey guys,

First post on here so be nice.As a long time drinker in Galway I was wondering where do you guys reckon the best bar staff in town are. I mean staff in pubs and in clubs.

For me I think Karma are terrible very very slow and Cps and Cuba are good enough.As for pubs the cellar is terribly slow during the day not much better at night and places like kingshead and living room arent great either.

Just wondering what you guys reckon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

The few times i have been in The Kings Head lately the staff have been utter arse holes, my sister and a some of my friends have also mentioned to me about the barstaffs bad attitude. I'm sure not all staff there are like that but it only takes a few to discourage me from not going there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Front door staff are good and quick

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

All the smaller pubs have good staff I reckon, Crane/ Cottage/ Neachtains.
    Tig Coili/ Taffees are slow because it's always cramped.

Bigger one like Quays still work with because it has three bars. I never had to wait for a drink in GPO.

Worst by far for slowness: Front fecking Door... Staff still ok but not enough of them. This would be late in the evening when every idiot in Galway has found their way there.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Monroes are also fast in my experience. sound bunch aswell

Has alot to do with the layout of the pub aswell though. The Front Door do themselves no favours with small, cramped counters. then again its an old, old building

As small pubs go, best staff I've experienced are bierhaus and Dew Drop Inn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

biko wrote: »
    All the smaller pubs have good staff I reckon, Crane/ Cottage/ Neachtains.
    Tig Coili/ Taffees are slow because it's always cramped.

Agreed, I would also like to add O'Connells to that list of smaller pubs with good staff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    Monroes are also fast in my experience. sound bunch aswell

Has alot to do with the layout of the pub aswell though. The Front Door do themselves no favours with small, cramped counters. then again its an old, old building

As small pubs go, best staff I've experienced are bierhaus and Dew Drop Inn

X2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

x 3. Monroes have great staff, pure sound. I'm fond of the staff in the Quays too, very efficient.

Worst I've come across is the Spanish Arch Hotel. Shocking all together. Was in there twice and both times it took me 30 minutes to get a pint of Guinness and it wasn't that busy either.

I've always found the bar upstairs in the Roisin Dubh (just beside the smoking room) to have great staff. This may be solely based on the fact I thought the asian-looking chick working there was damned fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭k-a-t-e

Staff at the Front Door are good, very quick. God this thread is making me Galway-sick (like home-sick but not from Galway or even Ireland so...)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Aura

I've always found the bar upstairs in the Roisin Dubh (just beside the smoking room) to have great staff. This may be solely based on the fact I thought the asian-looking chick working there was damned fine.

She is stunning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Aura wrote: »
    She is stunning.

+ 1! She's got a great smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    The Front Door do themselves no favours with small, cramped counters. then again its an old, old building

Ah old, old building alright but it was closed for alot of early 2006 getting revamped. They basically redesigned the whole of the inside, so they decided it would be like that. tbh i would have said that when I left Galway it would have had one of the best crews around. (for a big place that is)

Having worked in a few bars around the city centre and drank in nearly all of them at some stage I came to the decision that the standard of staff is in direct relation to the standard of management/pay in the establishment.

"You pay peanuts, you get monkeys" comes to mind, as well as "you treat them like sh!te, you get sh!te".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

She's not good looking in my opinion.
    Jamey wrote: »
    + 1! She's got a great smile.
    Everyone has a smile who hunts for tips, its a pity u have to wait half an hour to get a drink.
    I've nothing against the girl, its just i was in one night, it was 2 deep at the bar and i had to wait half an hour for a drink because she was trying to impress the crowd by opening bottles all fancy with one of those metal bottle openers, smiling to the crowd and then doing the same thing again. It pissed me off proper good.

I dunno tho about where has the best bar staff, cp's is terrible, the skeff can be ok, kings head isnt bad,
    The front door is a joke.
    The best i've come across in a while is massimos. It was very good the last time i was there and it was very busy.

Come to think of it, I like the bar staff in the Blue Note. One of them introduced me to a fantastic drink when I asked them to surprise me; rum with gingerale and squirts from 4-5 lime slices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Fracture wrote: »
    I've nothing against the girl, its just i was in one night, it was 2 deep at the bar and i had to wait half an hour for a drink because she was trying to impress the crowd by opening bottles all fancy with one of those metal bottle openers, smiling to the crowd and then doing the same thing again. It pissed me off proper good.

bah.... she must suck at serving so. In the right hands bar blades are really good for throwing out the drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Fracture wrote: »
    She's not good looking in my opinion.
    Well you see, there is little or no decent looking women down that end of town so people have nothing to compare her against.

padi89 wrote: »
    Well you see, there is little or no decent looking women down that end of town so people have nothing to compare her against.

This is true. You'd think a street with 1 (or is it 2) sex shops and a lapdancing club would have some hot women working in them, but I was sorely disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

jabberwock wrote: »
    Ah old, old building alright but it was closed for alot of early 2006 getting revamped. They basically redesigned the whole of the inside, so they decided it would be like that. tbh i would have said that when I left Galway it would have had one of the best crews around. (for a big place that is)

There's a lot they wouldn't have been able to do with regard to the layout in the Front Door; if it's a listed building, which I think it is, they would have been constricted by planning laws.

I find that if you're a regular in a pub and the staff know you, then you get good service (as long as you've been nice to them in the past, which means that you weren't a pleb toward them). If they don't know you, it can take a while longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Fey! wrote: »
    I find that if you're a regular in a pub and the staff know you, then you get good service (as long as you've been nice to them in the past, which means that you weren't a pleb toward them). If they don't know you, it can take a while longer.

Very true, i do that myself tbh, they dont have to ask for the pint, and i can spot the out of a crowd of 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

Cuba is the worst night club in town to get a drink. Would I be right in saying there's only 6 people serving the entire club? Drives me wild every time I go there waiting ages to get to the bar, not to mind getting served. And then they close down at 1:55.....:mad:
    Halo isn't too bad, fairly quick, especially after one or so can stroll up and get served fairly handy.
    Kings Head is staffed with amateurs, and not enough of them on when it's busy downstairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭damalo

I usually find the old school places in galway have a smaller staff turn over and hence the service is usually better. I usually drop the bar person a drink or 2 in the first few rounds to make myself stand out and get the nod when there's a queue. There's nothing worse than waiting 10-15 mins for a drink

903 drives me nuts - It's a sure 10 min wait there for a drink even during the week. Great music and good crowd but there should be a second bar somewhere..a bottle bar or something (or more bar staff)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I have to agree with others about the Kings Head. The bar staff are terrible in there! I had the misfortune to be in there recently having not set foot in the place in over a year and it hadn't changed a bit. They seemed to have enough staff but yet even though the pub wasn't anywhere near full I had a frustrating wait for my round of drinks. The same can be said for the other "super pubs" such as the Living Room and the Front Door.
    The best pub staff tend to be the ones in pubs that attract an older crowd - Murphys, Neachtains, etc. I also must commend Beirhaus as well. I don't particularly like the pub but I have never had a problem with the staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Blue 84

malice_ wrote: »
    I have to agree with others about the Kings Head. The bar staff are terrible in there! I had the misfortune to be in there recently having not set foot in the place in over a year and it hadn't changed a bit. They seemed to have enough staff but yet even though the pub wasn't anywhere near full I had a frustrating wait for my round of drinks. The same can be said for the other "super pubs" such as the Living Room and the Front Door.
    The best pub staff tend to be the ones in pubs that attract an older crowd - Murphys, Neachtains, etc. I also must commend Beirhaus as well. I don't particularly like the pub but I have never had a problem with the staff.

Agreed about the best staff being in the 'older' pubs, favourite would be Freeney's, especially at this time of year when they have the fire on in the back, nice and cosy and topped off with as good a pint of guinness as you'll get..

I think most of the problem is overcrowded pubs and clubs rather than staff.

I wonder how many places contravene the maximum capacity on a regular basis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

MattKid wrote: »
    I think most of the problem is overcrowded pubs and clubs rather than staff.

I wonder how many places contravene the maximum capacity on a regular basis

practically everywhere. it's one of the empty threats you hear disgruntled customers saying. one of the problems though is that each member of the barstaff needs their own space. more often than not it's the number of taps, tills and banging into each other that slows staff down... even though 6 staff isn't enough for when Cuba is buzzin' you're not going to get anymore gains by adding more staff. just not enough space. It's been a while since most of the owners of pubs and clubs in Galway have been behind the bars themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Halo isn't bad lately, they seem to have gotten faster serving. The queue outside is still a joke though...why?! Worth it if memory serves correctly though!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Asbad wrote: »
    Agreed, I would also like to add O'Connells to that list of smaller pubs with good staff
    Aye, nice spot all round really, only downside is trying to get down through the front part when it's packed, it's very narrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

O Connells is good alright, Buskers was terrible lastnight, really packed. Front Door probably one of the worst!

Halo isn't bad lately, they seem to have gotten faster serving. The queue outside is still a joke though...why?! Worth it if memory serves correctly though!

I went to Halo for the 1st time the other weekend and agree it's probably the best club. Dance floors are still a bit small and again gets overcrowded.

Oh and the queue is n't fun when you're busting for a piss

• Advertisement
Advertisement