Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to hunting

• 06-12-2007 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi,

I'm new to all of this - I have done a fair bit of target shooting, and have an CZ 452, however I have neighbours who are asking me to take care of a few rabbits and foxes who are causing them hassle.

I have never shot game before, but I have been practicing with the cz outdoors and can group quite well. Can anyone recommend any;

a) good practice,
    b) good methods to train for game shooting,

Cheers,

P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Best thing to do is go out with an experienced hunter, that's what I found anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 polopunk

Don't know any! All the lads I know are clay shooters!

Am based in Wexford, will look around and see if I can find any experienced lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 culcuie

polopunk wrote: »
    Don't know any! All the lads I know are clay shooters!

Am based in Wexford, will look around and see if I can find any experienced lads.

try joining a gun club, most clubs will take in people that live within their district..not as easy when your outside their area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

what part of wexford are you in ??

Ferrycarrig area

• Advertisement

Right - first order of business, one of our dogs was almost killed by what he thinks was a rat bite.

We can't use poison as the dogs / cats will get it, and the tunnel thing doesn't seem to work.

Would baiting the stables (bit of meat for a couple of days) then waiting there on day three work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Right - first order of business, one of our dogs was almost killed by what he thinks was a rat bite
    Is the dog sure it was a rat :D

Mellor wrote: »
    Is the dog sure it was a rat :D

****! ;)

The vet thinks its a rat bite. Both dogs have gotten this now, they swell up and are in quite a bit of pain, has been touch and go with them for a bit and then clears up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

i'd try an airgun first for rats or else a fenn trap.
    .22 rimfire will give you some ricochets and they are worse than a rat bite:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Could use those ratshot cartridges in the rimfire though, no? Probably easier with rats anyway if they start scuttling.

• Advertisement

What are they?

The stable is lined with bales, so richochets should be ok...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Think tiny shotgun pellets in the casing of a .22lr round as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yeah thats it, heres a pic
    750px-.22LR_ratshot.jpg

These should be perfect for the rat problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

theres another one you can get . it looks like a shotgun cartridge but its for the 22 (john had them in camolin)

Cheers - I had heard of these before but the lad in Kellys gun store told me that these did not exist :o

Will they damage the gun? Also, will they drop the rat, I will be about 10m away...

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

10m is about the extent of it I'd say. Wont bother the barrrel both DO NOT use them with a moderator. They are quite expensive rounds though. Preffer CB longs myself (even these are dearer then the usual .22lr!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Cheers - I had heard of these before but the lad in Kellys gun store told me that these did not exist

:confused:Ive pm'd you polopunk

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

Ive tried those shells before Mellor and unless your within about 5 feet of the rat then you might as well be trying to shoot him with a party popper.Just my 2c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Would the rifling not have the pellets taking some strange angles?

Scatter some poultry feed or other tasty nibbles (anything big like chunks of meat they'll drag home.)

Let them nibble for a while and get used to the place and then get them.
    You can get a pair that way without using poison.
    Leave the carcasses for the magpies as a lesson to the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭quackquackBOOM

this is the weapon of choice when rat catching up to 10m maximum
    ive been using this for years its the quickest way because it dosnt take a week to find the ammo
    also very cheap

• Advertisement
Advertisement