Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

hints req

Options
  • 06-12-2007 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

i am to look at a 97 1.2 punto for one of the kids tomorrow, what do i need to look out for. thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

old boy wrote: »
    i am to look at a 97 1.2 punto

A horse would be a more reliable form of transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

no red key is a deal breaker
    no NCT forms are a deal breaker too as you need to see the last CO2 emmissions figure. no point buying a car that won't get through an NCT.
    won't have too many electrics to worry about.
    you'll be able to test the clutch yourself and gearbox so no advice needed there.
    you'll be able to see if the car is overheating or if there is a head gasket leak.
    you'll hear if the exhaust is on the way out.

if they have no proof of cambelt change bargain on it.

so that just leaves you to worry about brakes wheel bearings and suspension which is where you start looking for a recent NCT and can be checked out on the testdrive.

The good thing about a punto of that vintage is that there is very little extra to worry about on them other than the running gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Make sure it's very cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Make sure it's very cheap.

i.e. free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

thanks people:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

maybe it's a no brainer but a full set of tyres would be in the region of €200- €250 fitted so build that into your price.

Also...wiper motors are dodgy up to mid MK2.

Personally I think they're nice enough to drive as a supermini, but I wouldn't buy one....I'll be selling my Corsa in Feb if it's not a Christmas present you're looking for...great nick 100k on the clock...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

dont be put off them, ive had laods of them myself and their great little cars,
    it'll be a mk1 punto and spec depends on what number is on the wings and the tailgate. the mk1s have a red key system which is used for reseting the ECU and coping keys if needed, theres over rated though, if you have 2 blue keys then you'll be fine, theres also 2 types of engine for them aswell, theres an 8valve and a 16valve, the 16 is a more reliable engine but its not all that common and repairs are more expencive. the 8valve is a great little engine and theres no worries with cambelts on them as they dont do any damage when the belt goes. the rear wipers tend to sieze on them and clutch slaves can leak. listen for any grindy noises with the engine running that go away when the clutch is pressed. that will be the release bearing on its way out, also check the rear lights and indicators as the mk1 is known to have grounding problems. also if you see leaky oil on the engine it doesnt really mean theres anything to worry about, the rocker cover gasket is known to leak and its a very cheap fix., all in all if its a decent price and its driving nicely then you cant go wrong, their a very easy car to work on and most of the common problems that can happen are easily repaired.,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Are these windows legal, I'm seeing more and more cars driving around with blacked out windows.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=849166

• Advertisement
Advertisement