Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The England Job - Now Its Serious!

• 06-12-2007 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

The runners and riders are nearly all declared

Capello
    Mourinho
    Lippi
    Klinsmann

Martin O'Neill is still thought to be on the FAs list despite his declaration.

To me it looks like a toss up between Capello and Mourinho. I'm sure if the FA took notice of players and fans the latter would get the job.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Not a bad list to choose from is it?

Mourinho and the England job would be very intriguing to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mike65 wrote: »

To me it looks like a toss up between Capello and Mourinho. I'm sure if the FA took notice of players and fans the latter would get the job.

Mike.

Surely that means Mourinho's a cert so seeing as Capello is on the way to Anfield.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Stekelly wrote: »
    Surely that means Mourinho's a cert so seeing as Capello is on the way to Anfield.:)

Why would Capello want to ruin his record of winning a league title at every club he has managed?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Certainly a more impressive list of candidates than what we have to choose from. Mourinho would have to be favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I agree with all that except I think Lippi would be a better choice than Capello. They're fairly even though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

How could the Fa hire Mourinho when plenty of people were saying he was ruining football and weren't exactly singing Mourinho's praises when he was managing Chelsea. Seems a tad hypocritical

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I wonder how Mourihno would perform without a billion pound budget and 2 transfer windows...

It'd be interesting to say the least - but the fact that so many english players were signed or had first team places at chelsea when he could have bought all the brazilians, argentinians, spanish and italians he wanted shows his attitude to english players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I wonder how Mourihno would perform without a billion pound budget and 2 transfer windows...

Win the UEFA Cup and Champions League maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

perhaps he could just win two leagues, a domestic cup, a uefa cup and a champions league.

you know, what he did before he joined chelsea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

What do you think the FA are going to do, put in a 20 million pound bid for Ronaldinho to become english and play for the english team? :D

But only during January :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Unearthly wrote: »
    Why would Capello want to ruin his record of winning a league title at every club he has managed?;)

HA! BAMMM!!!

i hope they give the job to Mourinho tbh. he is a great character and an amazing manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Mourinho does seem to be the man for the job. He has the experience, the tactical knowledge, the man management skills and the balls and ego to stand up to the media.

For me, the only question marks would be over favouritism to Chelsea players, or how players from Man Yoo and Liverpool would feel working under him.

It's a funny auld world though. 18 months ago, the contenders were Stuart Pearce, McClaren, Allardyce etc. Now it's Cappelo, Lippi, Klinnsman, Mourinho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

God please not Martin O`Neill :eek: It would be some poor form for him to take the job over his own country. Although, as Alex McLeish just showed us, money sometimes comes before loyalty :mad:

Dont want Jose to be manager. I like Jose and the rubbish he talks, he is a legend, and I would like for him to be a cocky full of himself success in his next managerial role. Therefore I cant be in a position where I want England to win games because he is in charge :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

NekkidBibleMan many Liverpool fans esp of the Scouse variety hope Maureen gets the gig so Gerrard (esp) never plays for England again.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

God please not Martin O`Neill It would be some poor form for him to take the job over his own country. Although, as Alex McLeish just showed us, money sometimes comes before loyalty

In all honesty do you think MON would touch the Irish job...he's always mentioned in relation to the BIGGEST jobs in soccer(and yes i put the england manager in that group)
    Ireland would be a major step down in his career and i cant see him taking the job unless maybe in 10 years when he's winding down.

Also as far as loyalty goes i ask you should jack charlton have turned down ROI in favour of England?

I for one am glad that he choose to manage us when we were international nobodys and led us to our forst euros and WC finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

NekkidBibleMan many England fans hope Gerrard never plays for England again.

Fixed what you said....;)

prendy wrote: »
    In all honesty do you think MON would touch the Irish job...he's always mentioned in relation to the BIGGEST jobs in soccer(and yes i put the england manager in that group)
    Ireland would be a major step down in his career and i cant see him taking the job unless maybe in 10 years when he's winding down.

Also as far as loyalty goes i ask you should jack charlton have turned down ROI in favour of England?

I for one am glad that he choose to manage us when we were international nobodys and led us to our forst euros and WC finals.

Of course not. But there is a difference between English and Dutch managers travelling the world looking for teams to manage, compared to maybe a genius Lithuanian Champions League winning club manager choosing to manage Germany or Brazil instead of his own national team. Thats what I find so bad about McLeish leaving Scotland when he has more positive work to do. I mean ffs, why go to the EPL? How much money does a guy need? If Ireland were paying me 500,000 a year when Liverpool were giving me a £2m a year management chance, well, tbh I can live off the 500,000, and Id stay for as long as my team and the fans approvd of me. I love what Gus did for Australi/Korea and what Jack did for us, but they are both from strong football nations. Martin O`Neill isnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

shane86 wrote: »
    How much money does a guy need? If Ireland were paying me 500,000 a year when Liverpool were giving me a £2m a year management chance, well, tbh I can live off the 500,000, and Id stay for as long as my team and the fans approvd of me.

Are you honestly saying that if you were Brian Kerr 2 odd years ago and
    Liverpool came knocking at your door you would refuse the job based on
    national pride?
    The hell is wrong with you?
    That has to be the most unbelievable comment ive ever read on this forum.

You do realise that as a footballing nation we are crap right?

God please not Martin O`Neill :eek: It would be some poor form for him to take the job over his own country.

I dont remember him turning down the Northern Ireland job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

God please not Martin O`Neill :eek: It would be some poor form for him to take the job over his own country.

With all due respect to Northern Ireland, the England job is much much bigger.

Also as mentioned don't recall Northern Ireland approaching MON.

Also why can't you be in a position where you want England to win :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

What do you think the FA are going to do, put in a 20 million pound bid for Ronaldinho to become english and play for the english team? :D

But only during January :)

I wonder how many former porto players will declare for England....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Almunia already plans to, now that would be hiliarous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

PHB wrote: »

shhhh!!! ppl dont like facts!

i think jose is by far the best choice for the position and tbh, i can see myself getting very annoyed in 2010 when England will have an actual realistic non-made up chance of winning the WC under him.

Jazzy wrote: »

i can see myself getting very annoyed in 2010 when England will have an actual realistic non-made up chance of winning the WC under him.

:rolleyes:

OPENROAD wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

thats excellent. wish i could make all my points using teeny tiny pictures

thats excellent. wish i could make all my points using teeny tiny pictures

Ok tell me why you will be annoyed in 2010 when as you say England will have a realistic chance of winning the WC.

Ok tell me why you will be annoyed in 2010 when as you say England will have a realistic chance of winning the WC.

cos maybe, just maybe - i was ripping the piss.
    you never know, i could be one of those ppl who isnt totally anti-england and actually wants to see them do well. i could actually not be influenced by 99% of irish media and want them to win, you never know.

but how could you... if you keep rolling your eyes and never focus them on one spot you'll never see wat is in front of them

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Fair enough...fair enough. It was a foolish thought.
    event wrote:
    perhaps he could just win two leagues, a domestic cup, a uefa cup and a champions league.

One smartass comment regarding my obvious disregard for Mourinho's previous record was enough thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

A smart-arse comment that crashes and burns deserves all it gets in return!

I would absolutely love to see Mourinho get the job but I get the feeling he's just using the hype to apply the poker to Real Madrid's buttocks unfortunately. Capello would be a nice alternative if O'Neill honestly isn't interested - someone with actual balls, unlike the last couple!

cos maybe, just maybe - i was ripping the piss.
    you never know, i could be one of those ppl who isnt totally anti-england and actually wants to see them do well. i could actually not be influenced by 99% of irish media and want them to win, you never know.

but how could you... if you keep rolling your eyes and never focus them on one spot you'll never see wat is in front of them

Fair enough, if I took you up wrong, my apologies.

You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance

Almunia already plans to, now that would be hiliarous.

Meh, its all the same, not gettign picked for internationals now and not gettign picked for England, much of a muchness really:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Wouldn't turn my nose up at any of them (perhaps Klinsman who seems the least qualified imo).

IrishMike wrote: »
    Are you honestly saying that if you were Brian Kerr 2 odd years ago and
    Liverpool came knocking at your door you would refuse the job based on
    national pride?
    The hell is wrong with you?
    That has to be the most unbelievable comment ive ever read on this forum.

You do realise that as a footballing nation we are crap right?

Firstly, he was sacked/left by mutual consent after failing to qualify. A prem club wasnt going to attempt to poach him unless he was a roaring success with the national side. But yes, lets say it was November 2004, and I had brought the Irish to the semi finals of Euro 2004. Would I quit for the pool? Unless I felt the FAI were acting the bollix with me (not impossible) I would stay as long as the team and country approved of me.
    Stekelly wrote: »
    I dont remember him turning down the Northern Ireland job?

Lets not go there :D
    Also why can't you be in a position where you want England to win :confused:

Same reason that I cant support Man U. Irritating we`re the best so **** the rest general fan cockyness. Dont get me wrong. I like the cockyness of boxing (though Im rooting for Ricky tonight). I like the way Oasis are cocky with their worlds greatest band malarky. But football...i dunno, it annoys me more.

• Advertisement

Same reason that I cant support Man U. Irritating we`re the best so **** the rest general fan cockyness. Dont get me wrong. I like the cockyness of boxing (though Im rooting for Ricky tonight). I like the way Oasis are cocky with their worlds greatest band malarky. But football...i dunno, it annoys me more.[/QUOTE]

To be fair this is largely down to the media and in particular the print media, this is actually starting to change slowly but yes I can see where you are coming from. To be fair sections of oue own media are gulity of it also.

From a personal point of view I no longer get that bothered about International football from a supporting point of view. I still enjoy watching the Euros and WC but to be honest couldn't care less if Ireland qualify or not. For me I am an Arsenal supporter first and last. Club will always come first over country.

Back to topic I don't feel Jose has much interest in the England job and is just playing with the media.

Anyway it looks like Jose is out of the picture and Capello is now the man most likely.

O'Neill it is then! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Jeez, how ironic. The media and fans were up in arms over SGE's appointment as he was a foreigner, now they've come to realise that the best managers aren't English, no huff or puff over the candidates list over nationality, ha...who knows, maybe they'll wake up to the fact that they're an average team resting on their laurels from over 40 years ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

A blind man could see Mournhio was using this as leverage for the Milan job.

O'Neill won't take it because he is a Fenian but is too polite to directly say so. How many times has he to say "No"? He didnt take it when he wasnt working, why would he take it now?

Capello is the glaringly obvious choice. I hope he doesnt get it as he is exactly the man for that job, the perfect fit in every way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

O'Neill won't take it because he is a Fenian but is too polite to directly say so. How many times has he to say "No"? He didnt take it when he wasnt working, why would he take it now?

Capello is the glaringly obvious choice. I hope he doesnt get it as he is exactly the man for that job, the perfect fit in every way.

He wanted it last time didn't he.

Has he become more Fenian in the last couple of years then?!

• Advertisement

Indeed, its unbelieveable anyone took it seriously. He didnt want the job, he merely wanted the word to get around that he is worthy of the job.

As for O`Neill, didnt he play for N.I as an international? Not that I have a problem with it, but its hardly the most "Fenian" thing to do is it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Looks like it's........

MOURINO

I could work for the Sun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I really hope they give it to a "Foreigner" otherwise they might go for the English manager with the highest league position and we certainly don't want that:rolleyes:

IIRC, Martin O'Neil was interviewed last time but they turned him down even though he wanted the job. Totally criminal by the FA in my book.

They won't make that mistake again, but its not going to be O'Neill, think Italian is what I've just been told by a hack.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

They won't make that mistake again, but its not going to be O'Neill, think Italian is what I've just been told by a hack.

Mike.

The press should know, they got McLaren the job by demanding an Englishman in the first place. (Maybe fleet street is full of Scots!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The press also demanded Keegan, and hounded Hoddle out of the job (the last successful manager).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

astrofool wrote: »
    The press also demanded Keegan, and hounded Hoddle out of the job (the last successful manager).

Hoddle was no more successful then Sven. Possibly less so in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

If they don't choose Capello, then they're nuts. English managers haven't been any more successful recently than foreign ones. Looking at the guy's CV... its amazing. And if what we hear is true, he really wants the job too. You know there's one lad that wouldn't have a problem kicking Ferdinand or Lampard of Gerrard out of the side if they weren't performing. The only reason I wouldn't want Capello going for it is that I couldn't stick the sickening feeling that'd come from hearing the English tabloids and yobbo supporters if they won.

NotWormBoy wrote: »
    I couldn't stick the sickening feeling that'd come from hearing the English tabloids and yobbo supporters if they won.

I'm fighting a loosing battle on this one I know,but media in most countries are the same, can you imagine if it was us?We would be no different, christ we had the team in the Phoenix Park in 1994 :o

As for yobbo supporters, it is a minority of drunken low wattage idiots and so you should not generalise imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement