Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Beat the bastards to it - the cars you need before July 08

Options
  • 07-12-2007 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭

911 3.2
    RX-8
    Skyline(s)
    Z350
    TT

Get saving, guys......get them before they get you

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I suppose, the money is just lying there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maybe though if you can afford to buy these type of cars in the first place you really don't give a toss what changes on the 1st July?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

bazz26 wrote: »
    Maybe though if you can afford to buy these type of cars in the first place you really don't give a toss what changes on the 1st July?

maybe you have no objection to handing over cash to a bunch of brown-envelope grabbing power hungry phonies, but I do. I have a 968, and I paid less than the price of a (used) Focus for it, so your problem is, what, exactly ? The Taste Police?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

And forget buying one in January with the intention of selling it in the Autumn for a profit. Dealers will proably pre-reg a load of cars with the same intention!

Ha - good one. But you should know, right ? ;)

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    maybe you have no objection to handing over cash to a bunch of brown-envelope grabbing power hungry phonies, but I do. I have a 968, and I paid less than the price of a (used) Focus for it, so your problem is, what, exactly ? The Taste Police?

Relax mate, I wasn't refering to you personally.

Maybe I took up your original post wrong but I was talking in general terms about people who can afford to buy these type of cars new probably aren't put out too much by what happens in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Just how much are the listed cars increasing to???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Just how much are the listed cars increasing to???

Nothing I think since they are definately not new. Old rules will apply.

maidhc wrote: »
    Nothing I think since they are definately not new. Old rules will apply.

They will increase to 2k/year tax after July 08.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

I was thinking there that maybe second hand high emission cars where the old tax rate will apply will really be worth money in a few years
    with all these energiser bunnies flooding the market
    Go gas guzzlers :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭EternalSunshine

Yep your grandkids will cheers u for polluting the environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

so in say 2 years time, a 07 Impreza will be worth more than a 08 Impreza

pre 08 performance cars appreciating in value??? :D:D

feck it

principles must be upheld.

how about this little 8.85 litre runabout, complete with side exhausts, from vette magazine - idling out front around election time when the windmill enthusiasts come knocking ...

vemp_0612_aus_08_z69_corvettefront_.jpg

Car: '69 Corvette Coupe
    Owner: Andy Felton
    Block: Donovan D500 aluminum
    Pistons: Mahle forged
    Compression Ratio: 10.5:1
    Crankshaft: Callies 4340 Dragonslayer
    Rods: Eagle 4340 3D steel
    Displacement: 540 ci
    Heads: Dart Pro1 aluminum, 325 cc
    Valves: 2.30/1.88-in severe-duty stainless
    Camshaft: Comp custom street roller
    Rocker Arms: Comp Pro Magnum, 1.7 ratio
    Intake Manifold: Stock L88
    Carburetor: BG Mighty Demon
    Ignition: MSD Pro-Billet distributor, Blaster coil, & 6AL control
    Exhaust System: 211/48-in Hooker headers, 4-in side pipes
    Transmission: Tremec TKO five-speed
    Clutch: McLeod Street Twin
    Suspension: Tubular A-arms, composite mono springs, Bilstein shocks
    RearEnd: Stock w/3.73 gears
    Brakes: Stock four-wheel discs
    Front Wheels: Intro Pentia 18x10
    Rear Wheels: Intro Pentia 18x12
    Front Tires: Michelin Pilot Sport 275/35-18
    Rear Tires: Michelin Pilot Sport 335/30-18
    Output (Flywheel): 713 hp @ 6,100 rpm, 589 lb-ft @ 4,600

Just like i'm still mad at my grandparents for the hole in the ozone layer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    I was thinking there that maybe second hand high emission cars where the old tax rate will apply will really be worth money in a few years
    with all these energiser bunnies flooding the market
    Go gas guzzlers :D

I wouldn't be so sure about it ....

What's keeping the govmint from raising the old/current motor tax rate for anything above say 1600 cc year after year until your 2 liter car cost 2000 Euro as well and your 3 liter requires limb amputation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

im looking at a boxster s/350z or e46 m3, will def be doing it pre july with the upside being itll prob appreciate in value a little :D

peasant wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure about it ....

What's keeping the govmint from raising the old/current motor tax rate for anything above say 1600 cc year after year until your 2 liter car cost 2000 Euro as well and your 3 liter requires limb amputation ?

Getting the Greens out of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

its all too confusing with all these new VRT/Tax rates....

can anyone simplify it a little?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    its all too confusing with all these new VRT/Tax rates....

can anyone simplify it a little?

Buy/register a petrol between now and July 08, diesel only from then onwards or your ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Get off your high horse. My grandkids will thank me for keeping some of the fun in life, driving an enjoyable car, alive. Go spout from your soapbox somewhere else hippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I hate this attitude - its typical Irish begrudgery, "uh if you can afford to buy a 3 litre car then you can afford to run it."

Just because I would rather have a 20 year old 911, than bore myself to death every time I drive a Toyota Fridge magnet doesn't mean I can afford to pay 2k per annum road tax for the odd time I do use it.

• Advertisement

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I hate this attitude - its typical Irish begrudgery, "uh if you can afford to buy a 3 litre car then you can afford to run it."

Just because I would rather have a 20 year old 911, than bore myself to death every time I drive a Toyota Fridge magnet doesn't mean I can afford to pay 2k per annum road tax for the odd time I do use it.

Read my later response. You have taken me up wrong.

What I was saying is that to alot of poeple who buy these expensive cars brand new simply may not be too interested in what happens next July. These high end cars will more than likely still be bought by the same people. The running costs are immaterial to most of these people. Second hand ones are a different matter.

PS I could not care less whether anyone drives a fridge, exotic car, bus, whatever for that matter. And I certainly don't feel the need for it to be the eleviation of bordom in my life. A car simply isn't the centre of my world.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,800 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

isn't the tax you pay on your 20yo 911 going to stay the same? or close enough to it? (11.5% increase max?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I drive a 2005bmw 530 d ( emmissions 170 g )my tax will be 1200 euro so I will be able to buy a MORE polluting car in 2008 and pay less tax. FUBAR

Read my later response. You have taken me up wrong.
    No - I dont think I did.
    Even if I could afford 200k for a 911 - I still would have major issue with paying 2k for using it on our roads - and would never buy a car without seriously considering the running costs. Rich people aren't rich because the p*ss their cash away.
    Your statement still smacks of begrudgery.

PS I could not care less whether anyone drives a fridge, exotic car, bus, whatever for that matter. And I certainly don't feel the need for it to be the eleviation of bordom in my life. A car simply isn't the centre of my world.
    I am missing your point here - what is it ?
    Tauren wrote: »
    isn't the tax you pay on your 20yo 911 going to stay the same? or close enough to it? (11.5% increase max?)

Yea - but its still close enough to 2k - but people will still say "if you can afford to buy a Porsche then you can afford to run it." - It simply isn't always true.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Why Must One Minority Section Of Society Keep Telling The Majority How They Must Conduct Their Lives What Gives Them The Right?

The Pubs Have Been Killed Off,smokers Are Treated Like Leppers And Now These Bed Wetting Middle Class Irish Times Reading Lefty Pinko's Who Would Not Have The Balls To Get Behind The Wheel Of A Gas Guzzler Are Trying To Bully And Shame People Out Of Owning And Running A Nice Car

We All Dont Want To Cycle A Bike In Our Sandles Taking Shots Of
    Wheet Grass Juice Be-moaning The Failures Of The Lower Classes

As Another Poster Said Will Our Grandchildren Thank Us When The Fun Chance And Risk Has Been Sucked Dry From Our Lives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Just because I would rather have a 20 year old 911, than bore myself to death every time I drive a Toyota Fridge magnet
    Some people are happy with their Toyota fridge magnets as you call them. I presume you are dragging other cars down in an effort to make your own look better?

Can't people big up their car on the merits of the car itself? Why bring other cars that have clearly different purposes into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,800 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Yea - but its still close enough to 2k - but people will still say "if you can afford to buy a Porsche then you can afford to run it." - It simply isn't always true.

But why buy a car you can't afford to run?

I wanted to buy a new (well, second hand car) in september - but when i did the sums it turned out it would be a bit of a squeeze to pay for it; i couldn't quite afford it, so i did not buy it.

I simply don't get why you would buy, and keep a car you can't afford. Has the tax increased that much since you bought it? Not having a go, a genuine question.

Your statement still smacks of begrudgery.

Sorry but it was not my intention. I hate paying through my teeth for the privilage of driving the same as the next person.
    I am missing your point here - what is it ?

Sounds like you were having a little go at people who drive cars that appear ordinary or mundane to yourself but maybe not to others. Did I take you up wrong?

JHMEG wrote: »
    Some people are happy with their Toyota fridge magnets as you call them. I presume you are dragging other cars down in an effort to make your own look better?

Can't people big up their car on the merits of the car itself? Why bring other cars that have clearly different purposes into it?

I don't need to make any car look crap to make mine look better, remember we are on a motoring forum where posters are presumed to be enthusiasts,(And anyone who was would take a porsche compared to any toyota) my point is just because I don't want to drive the newest but mundane car available doesn't mean I should pay through the nose for it.
    Tauren wrote: »
    But why buy a car you can't afford to run?

I wanted to buy a new (well, second hand car) in September - but when i did the sums it turned out it would be a bit of a squeeze to pay for it; i couldn't quite afford it, so i did not buy it.

I simply don't get why you would buy, and keep a car you can't afford. Has the tax increased that much since you bought it? Not having a go, a genuine question.

I don't own a 911 by the way - but if I did would it be fair I paid almost 2k per annum to keep it on the road? circumstances change (increasing costs), big engined cars are not an easy car to sell maybe I couldn't afford to buy something else? maybe I miscalculated the actual costs of ownership. my point is statements like - "if you can afford to ......" are not always true and are generally tossed out by begrudging people jealous of others.
    Sorry but it was not my intention. I hate paying through my teeth for the privilage of driving the same as the next person.
    Sounds like you were having a little go at people who drive cars that appear ordinary or mundane to yourself but maybe not to others. Did I take you up wrong?
    Sorry, no I wasn't, I was saying that just because I would rather drive a car I want to have rather than something I did not does not mean I can automatically afford to pay 2k per annum road tax compared to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Bazz26, all the tax should be put on fuel only so whoever drives the greatest distances and in the highest polluting vehicles pay the most. Scrap road tax and vrt. The new system is typical of Gormley and his green bandits - it is wishy-washy.

Have a look at UK rates and weep

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524

Advertisement