Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Beat the bastards to it - the cars you need before July 08

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

TomMc wrote: »
    Bazz26, all the tax should be put on fuel only so whoever drives the greatest distances and in the highest polluting vehicles pay the most. Scrap road tax and vrt. The new system is typical of Gormley and his green bandits - it is wishy-washy.

Have a look at UK rates and weep

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524

So the D4 people could have nice 5L Mercs for practically nothing while everyone else in the country pays though their noses for transport, most likely all driving 1.0 Seicentos? Driving in Ireland is still relatively cheap, and that is a good thing for most people.

What we have here is a tax. If someone can afford to buy a 200k car then, it seems fair enough to tax them for it (in the same way it is fair to tax high earners at 40% or levy CGT on gains people make on shares on investment property). I'm not saying I agree with the tax, but it has some grounding in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Running a car is still cheap in Ireland, really?:eek: - Have you been on the funny fags again.

People in D4 have exotic cars already if they like them. Who cares, if people are wealthy - it might just be the fruit of their merit, and not for the great unwashed to begrudge them.

Most people in Ireland are the average Joe & Mary and so making interesting cars prohibitively expensive, is not the way forward. A proper transport system is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

maidhc wrote: »
    So the D4 people could have nice 5L Mercs for practically nothing while everyone else in the country pays though their noses for transport, most likely all driving 1.0 Seicentos? Driving in Ireland is still relatively cheap, and that is a good thing for most people.

What we have here is a tax. If someone can afford to buy a 200k car then, it seems fair enough to tax them for it (in the same way it is fair to tax high earners at 40% or levy CGT on gains people make on shares on investment property). I'm not saying I agree with the tax, but it has some grounding in reality.

Well you seem to be totally blinded by your begrudgery of D4 people and don't understand the simple logic various posters are putting forward.

Yes, the D4 people, as well those in Cork, Monaghan, and Ballywhateverfeck, should have their 5L Mercedes or BMW or Jaguar for cheap if they only drive it 2000Km per year. They won't pollute the air remotely as much as the guy in Ciquecento that drives 30000Km per year, so why should they subsidise him? Just because they are reach they should be ripped off? What's the logic in that? Is this supposed to be punish-the-rich or punish-the-car-enthusiast tax!?

The whole point of proposals on putting a fuel levy is that it's the only fair (polluter pays!) measure! This way whoever burns more petrol -and therfore emits more CO2- pays more! Why is it so hard to comprehend?

Maidhc, Your argument does not wash as (the new July '08 onwards) road tax makes no allowance for the difference between an ordinary person who can just about afford a moderately economical 30k 2L petrol car and a gas guzzling 200k 5L one.

People should (and do) get taxed on their income, and not because they have an appreciation of automotive engineering and driving finesse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

TomMc wrote: »

People should (and do) get taxed on their income, and not because they have an appreciation of automotive engineering and driving finesse.

People do get taxed on their income - its called income tax - road tax should be based on the amount you use the road - not whether or not you can afford it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭blackbox

bazz26 wrote: »
    PS I could not care less whether anyone drives a fridge, exotic car, bus, whatever for that matter. And I certainly don't feel the need for it to be the eleviation of bordom in my life. A car simply isn't the centre of my world.

Can't imagine why you are looking at this forum then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I don't need to make any car look crap to make mine look better, remember we are on a motoring forum where posters are presumed to be enthusiasts,(And anyone who was would take a porsche compared to any toyota) my point is just because I don't want to drive the newest but mundane car available doesn't mean I should pay through the nose for it.
    We're on a motoring forum, where the only presumtion is that no-one knows what they're talking about. Plenty of people here drive ordinary joe cars, and don't want or need a Porsche. You are implying these people are boring and that you are a cut above.

People do get taxed on their income - its called income tax - road tax should be based on the amount you use the road - not whether or not you can afford it!

My point exactly.

I think true car enthusiasts (petrolheads) though, may have to invest in some petroleum jelly instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

blackbox wrote: »
    Can't imagine why you are looking at this forum then...

Oh dear. :rolleyes:

There are different levels of enthusiasm or passion, just because I don't get a hard on everytime a Porsche passes up the road doesn't mean my enthusiasm for motoring is any less valid than anyone else.

And I also would not feel obliged in anyway to prove that level by the type of car I drive on an internet forum.

I wrote...
    we are on a motoring forum where posters are presumed to be enthusiasts,(And anyone who was would take a porsche compared to any toyota)
    JHMEG wrote: »
    Plenty of people here drive ordinary joe cars, and don't want or need a Porsche. You are implying these people are boring and that you are a cut above.

What ? How could you read that from what I said -

I will try again in plain English for you...

People who love cars would rather a Porsche than a Toyota - This has nothing to do with anyone being boring or mundane - it has nothing to do with me it has to do with cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    Well you seem to be totally blinded by your begrudgery of D4 people and don't understand the simple logic various posters are putting forward.

Yes, the D4 people, as well those in Cork, Monaghan, and Ballywhateverfeck, should have their 5L Mercedes or BMW or Jaguar for cheap if they only drive it 2000Km per year. They won't pollute the air remotely as much as the guy in Ciquecento that drives 30000Km per year, so why should they subsidise him? Just because they are reach they should be ripped off? What's the logic in that? Is this supposed to be punish-the-rich or punish-the-car-enthusiast tax!?

The Cinquento driver will pay a hell of a lot more tax as it is! Ultimately a 5L Merc is pointless. I love cars, but emotions aside, a owning 5L merc is a pointless as going on the lash on a saturday night. It is fun, but really does no one any good. We have a green government and people are being punished for owning them.

The good news though is that said 5L mercs will be worth even less secondhand now, so really it is swings and roundabouts for most mere mortals. Most tax is meant to punish the rich, and unfortunately due to the society we live in will increasingly punish the motorist!

I will try again in plain English for you...
    Look, you referred to Toyotas as fridge magnets and said you are bored by them. And the manneer in which you said it implied Toyota owners and drivers who are happy with their cars are somehow not equal to you.
    People who love cars would rather a Porsche than a Toyota
    You are speaking for others now too. That's a helluva statement from someone who claims to be a car enthusiast. I would say that's one dimensional and lacking in depth.

Look, you referred to Toyotas as fridge magnets and said you are bored by them. And the manneer in which you said it implied Toyota owners and drivers who are happy with their cars are somehow not equal to you.

I wrote:
    "Just because I would rather have a 20 year old 911, than bore myself to death every time I drive a Toyota Fridge magnet"

Where does that imply anything about anyone other than I would be bored to death by a Toyota -

This next statement how ever does...

You clearly drive a Toyota and have a major complex about it
    You are speaking for others now too. That's a helluva statement from someone who claims to be a car enthusiast. I would say that's one dimensional and lacking in depth.

this doesn't even justify a response

IYou clearly drive a Toyota and have a major complex about it
    OMG here we go again. Still speaking for other people.. and still wrong. You must be the only person on this forum who doesn't know I drive a Honda.And that's despite my user name! Maybe you're not used to listening to others.
    this doesn't even justify a response
    Because there is none. You were caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Dwilly

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    The whole point of proposals on putting a fuel levy is that it's the only fair (polluter pays!) measure! This way whoever burns more petrol -and therfore emits more CO2- pays more! Why is it so hard to comprehend?

I totally agree but I can see why it wasn't implemented.

I imagine that the government really know that taxing fuel is the only real equitable way to come down on c02 but they know that it wouldn't work in practice.

Making a choice about your next car will always be a much more financially planned decision than going to the petrol station. Adding on 10p a litre would never have the same effect. With a bigger variation in car prices at the outset it's more of a conscious decision for the motorist and potentially will choose a lower emitting car.

Advertisement