Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ntc urgent - wippers

Options
  • 07-12-2007 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭

My nct is tomorrow and my windscreen wippers just stopped working.
    what are the odds.

I'm pretty sure of the answer .. but I'm grasping at straws .. Are wippers classified und "Electrical" in the ntc .. basically will I fail for not having them?

They are making the noise for moving but aren't actually doing anything ... will this be a big job to fix? is it even fixable?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Yes they will test the wipers (and the windscreen washers) and you will fail if they are not working. It sounds like the motor is running so not an electrical fault, could be a worn gearbox or a broken linkage. What age is the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Check if the mechanism is still connected to arm that pushes them across the screen, sometimes it can wear and slip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

probably too late but check the fuse mine blew last week popped in the spare - fixed

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

KlodaX wrote: »
    They are making the noise for moving but aren't actually doing anything ... will this be a big job to fix? is it even fixable?
    probably too late but check the fuse mine blew last week popped in the spare - fixed
    Its not the fuse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Unless you get lucky in a garage your stuck... go ahead with the NCT anyway, at least you'll know if there is anything else to be fixed...
    Cheers
    bam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Since its only a visual check, and assuming your car passes on everything else bar the wipers you can get them to check them again for free after they're fixed, and they should then issue you an nct cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

my angel of a mechanic fixed it before the test .. passed ! :)

it was just the catch that slipped *a previous poster mentioned*

panic over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭July

Related to OP but no NCT coming up, just need wipers!

I need a new linkage. Garage have it ordered. Just wondering 'roughly' how much it should cost me for part and for labour? It's a 99 almera. Money tight at the moment!

Thanks

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You ordered the part without asking its price???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

^ As above thats a licence for the garage to print money

ex: they wanted over 140euro for a rear lens plus fitting on my uncles car are went to the breakers 25euro fitting took less than 5 minutes.

• Advertisement

Sorry, to clarify, he said first that he 'hadn't a clue' how much it would be. When I pressed him for a ball-park figure he said maybe 30-40 euro.

I'm just looking for info here to see how much 'should' I be paying for this part and for the labour. I believe it is not uncommon for 1woman+1car=happy garage:D

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Wasn't a wipper one of those white foamy filled chocolate n crispy sweets many many years ago?

I'll get me coat!

nialler wrote: »
    Wasn't a wipper one of those white foamy filled chocolate n crispy sweets many many years ago?
    I'll get me coat!

I said wipers, look here!!
    July wrote: »
    Related to OP but no NCT coming up, just need wipers!

Don't know what a wipper is! But thanks for taking the time to post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

most likly an electronic relay... should be a 10 min fix which is way you'll pay 30 quid just to have the mechanic under the bonnet and another 10 to make him smile... should be worth it so your car can pass the nct.... :rolleyes:

I need a new linkage. Garage have it ordered. Just wondering 'roughly' how much it should cost me for part and for labour? It's a 99 almera. Money tight at the moment!

Thanks

Bump!

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

I said wipers, look here!!

Don't know what a wipper is! But thanks for taking the time to post!

Not a problem, but the my reply was for the OP and anyone who has fond memories of the purple foil packaged lovely!

Thanks for missing the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

My rear wiper is after failing also with test pending. I have just checked with NCTS and unfortunately if the car has had a rear wiper fitted it must be working otherwise it's a fail (with, as mentioned above, a visual re inspection required rather than retest) - rear wipers are not considered optional extras as they might be when you are buying a new car.:(

Advertisement