Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cert of Acclimation for dog transport in winter?

Options
  • 07-12-2007 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Has anyone ever had to get one of these. We're travelling in late December with our dog. The airline has travel temperature restrictions between 45-85 degrees (F) on the ground at any stop in the flight. They will allow travel down to 20F which is roughly -5 C if you have a cert of acclimation for that temp from a vet.

Has anyone ever gotten one - will a vet be familiar with such a thing?

Our dog is a beardie - bred for work on the scottish highlands so I've no problem with short-term exposure for her to -5. We're flying through Chicago so it could easily be that cold there in December so I really need the extra cert I think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

I've never heard of it but if your vet is a companion animal only vet he/she should know. Which airline are you traveling with?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

Travelling with American. Not sure what you mean by companion animal - she's a pet, not a working dog if that's what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

giddyup wrote: »
    Travelling with American. Not sure what you mean by companion animal - she's a pet, not a working dog if that's what you mean.

I mean some vets could be used to dealing with farm animals a lot of the time so might not be up to speed on such matters. Sorry i was just thinking from my own experience. The airline should be able to give you more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

giddyup wrote: »
    Has anyone ever had to get one of these. We're travelling in late December with our dog. The airline has travel temperature restrictions between 45-85 degrees (F) on the ground at any stop in the flight. They will allow travel down to 20F which is roughly -5 C if you have a cert of acclimation for that temp from a vet.

Never heard of such a thing? Certasinly never been asked to produce one?

Have I got this right....if you *don't* have one of these then they will keep the hold at 45-85ºF?
    Or is it compulsory to have one of these before they will load the dog?

If its the former, then I'd be inclined to not try too hard to get one, so they have to keep the hold warmer during any time on the ground...

Imagine if there was problem, and the plane was grounded for a while...that's -5º C for possibly several hours, not fun for anyone, especially not your dog!

Have I got this right....if you *don't* have one of these then they will keep the hold at 45-85ºF?
    Or is it compulsory to have one of these before they will load the dog?

Not quite on either former or latter. The latter is true only depending on the ground temperature - nothing to do with the hold which is at all times a noise and temp controlled environment for travelling animals.

So to clarify - if the temperature on the ground in any of the destinations or in the origin is less than 45F then they won't allow the dog to travel unless a vet will certify that the dog is acclimated to temperatures down to 20F. I guess this is strictly for loading unloading i.e. the time the dog is exposed to the ground temperature when loading in Dublin, transferring in Chicago and finally unloading in Seattle.

I'm not sure a vet will do this which could mean that our dog won't be able to travel until we can expect the temps to be comforatably over 45F at all points which could be March / April. Here's a link to the airline blurb.

• Advertisement

Just to update on this and in case anyone has this query in future - spoke to the Airline who said understandably there is no flexiblity on this and at this time of year chances are this restriction will kick-in.

Spoke to my vet who said that they will do the cert of acclimation along with the fitness to travel cert - no problems.

Thank christ for that - I really did not want to have to leave my dog with anyone for any extended amount of time and it's great knowing we'll be with her for as much of the journey as possible.

Advertisement