Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Beat the bastards to it - the cars you need after July 08

Options
  • 07-12-2007 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Diesels! Import one and shrink your motor tax bill to half nothing. Relatively new BMWs (relatively very low CO2 emission figures) seem to be a good bet. With the 6-pot 3 litre engined cars generating the biggest savings

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Just wondering.....why import one???
    Why not buy here?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

because the new motor tax rates won't apply;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Motor Tax isn't emissions based - VRT is.

Oh yea...just coped the OP is talking bout used cars

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Just wondering.....why import one???
    Why not buy here?

Importing a second hand car with low emissions will attract a lower rate of motor tax* than buying the exact same car second hand here

*The imported car is subject to the new motor tax system of CO2 emissions. The car bought here is subject to the old motor tax system based on engine capacity. This obviously means the second hand value of low emissions Irish cars will drop as some of our regulars are realising with disgust...

The one chance in his life that Gormley could have made a difference in this world and show he stands for his and the Green Party's principles. But he is too much of a coward. Shame on you, John and your party. I don't like Micheal Martin either, but at least he had the balls to force through what he believed in when he had the chance. He will go into the history books. You won't.

• Advertisement

Yea i got it UNKEL...cheers...just didnt read it rite.

dunno bout you...but it sounds like a nightmare for some but a giveaway for others....this will realy shake the motor industry in ireland.
    Has anyone heard any official views expressed on the topic from AA, SIMI and the likes???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

unkel wrote: »
    Importing a second hand car with low emissions will attract a lower rate of motor tax* than buying the exact same car second hand here

Hold on a second here is this for real?

So if i import a pre July '08 car from the UK after July 08 then the new Co2 based motor tax will apply?!??

Was thinking about importing something like an early bmw 330d but this would mean if i hang till after July next year i'll only be paying (according to here at 177g/km) €600 a year road tax instead of €1109 today or €1231 after July!!

Am i picking this up wrong?

One shocker i noticed was the Mazda RX8 is gonna be 2k to tax :eek:

Wow, just checked out the bmw 335d coupe auto (with that lovely twin turbo diesel) and on the bmw website that would mean 177g/km.

That would mean road tax at only €600 a year (less than half) the original rate and a vrt rate a couple of percent lower too.

And when you take examples like that RX8 Mr.Boots mentions the second hand market is gonna get really messy....

Bluehair wrote: »
    So if i import a pre July '08 car from the UK after July 08 then the new Co2 based motor tax will apply?!??

Yup!

• Advertisement

Oh oh Audi A5 2.7tdi only 178g/km... (i'm getting waayy to excited about this :D, all the cars i thought would be way out of reach have suddenly got a lot more affordable)

unkel wrote: »
    Yup!

AWESOME!! :eek: (and thanks for confirming that)

I don't suppose the new vrt system will apply as well or will they use the old system for cars originally registerd outside the state pre V-Day (vrt-day :D )

Another shocker...Mini cooper s....1000 tax yearly

Dose this mean pretty much the end for jap import wrx's, skylines, evos ect....cant see the average buyer of thses cars paying the extra vrt on top of the price and then the 2k tax a year.

Bonkers! So anyone currently with a Mini Cooper s is paying €391 a year in road tax (and will be paying €426 after the 9% increase) but anyone who buys after July '08 will be paying more than double the road tax!

I mean truth be told the CO2 system is probably better all round but i'm amazed they didn't attempt to stagger the introduction like some thought they might. I mean there's going to be lots of winners and losers in this system and a massive gulf between them...

Who the hells gonna buy an Irish post July 07 Mini Cooper S second hand in a couple of years when by going older they'll actively save themselves over €500 a year?

Same with the diesels... I test drove a '02 330d here recently that i was thinking about but i now have a huge incentive to wait until July to bring it in, not only to save myself over €600 a year in road tax but the car will be dramatically more attractive in the second hand market here afterwards.

I guess it will mean alot more mini diesels sold as cooper 's will depreciate quicker as they become less desirible in the used market( as big engined cars do now)
    I can see there being more engine choice in ireland in the future, rather than manufactures lumping us with old design petrol and diesle engines (eg bmw 316) we will get a better choice as they compete for the lower co2's

remember in the 80's, having a sunroof was a huge selling point for new cars......Now low co2's will be the usp.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Bluehair wrote: »
    Hold on a second here is this for real?

Well I think there is one anomaly here which will have to be clarified by the Dept.

After July 08, if you import a car with a published CO2/km figure, your car will be taxed under the new regime. Iirc, an 01 Audi TT 225, for example, will now cost 2k/year in stead of the (approx 500). Secondhand, irish registered examples will, therefore, appreciate in value, because no-one is going to import them anymore - would you, with a 2k p.a. tax bill???

If, on the other hand, and here's the confusion, after July 08, you import a car that has NO published CO/km figure - how much are they going to charge you. They say they may charge up to the maximum rate (which you can appeal). So, if you bring a 1993 Porsche, you'll be paying -what 2k/yr (max under new system) or Eur1343 (max under the cc system). So, which is it?

It's worse for 'small' cars. If you bring in a 1990's car, say a 1.8, for which there is no published figure (it wasn't mandatory to do so back then), you again may be taxed at the maximum. But what's that - the CO2maximum (2k), the cc maximum (€1343), or the old cc equivalent (€500 app).

More questions than answers.

Besides, the whole thing is nuts. There are app 2 million vehicles on the road in the state. To replace the fleet, at current rate of new car sales (170k p.a.), will take 11 years. So, the actual net effect of this ratchet down of car size will have little effect on the emissions of the natural fleet, for many years. And, if older cars (maybe because they become more 'desirable' ??) actually stay on the road longer, the effect they're after (reducing fleet CO2 emissions) - will take even longer.

It is one of the best con jobs ever pulled. Actually, I've just thought of a name for it Ocean’s 11 - Gormley's 11...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Ill be importing a 520D in July then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭martin1016

As I read it as the max new rate ie 2k per year if you do not have documentation to support otherwise. They do give you the right to prove otherwise but I assume that means you need to get some sort of test completed and I have no idea how you would go about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Forget diesels... import a hybrid: 11.25% VRT (under the old system, wayhay!), €100 road tax (new system).

Or buy one new: 14% VRT, €100 road tax, and a €2,500 grant (of sorts)!:D

"I will be providing for a further top-up relief up to €2,500 on the VRT payable on such cars."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 redbag

Ice_Box wrote: »
    Ill be importing a 520D in July then.

Was thinking of the same thing myself, but a point to note - the Co2 difference between the Sep 07 upgrade 520d and the initial E60 engine is quite a bit, so make sure you budget accordingly!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

hmmm get an e46 m3 pre july or a 330cd post :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I said on New Green Tax for motorists thread.

"The upshot of this will be a collapse in imports of petrol engined cars more than about 4 years old and a rise in diesels of any size and age".

Not true! :( I've just been checking Co2 for not very old school diesels (1995) 200 gCo2
    is typical for 5/6 cylinder engines.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

JHMEG wrote: »
    Forget diesels... import a hybrid: 11.25% VRT (under the old system, wayhay!), €100 road tax (new system).

Or buy one new: 14% VRT, €100 road tax, and a €2,500 grant (of sorts)!:D

"I will be providing for a further top-up relief up to €2,500 on the VRT payable on such cars."

If you want a Prius or a Civic IMA great, otherwise the changes are very bad for Hybrids. Lexus LS600h, 32% VRT anyone? Or GS450h, 28% VRT? They're 15% now. How is that good:confused:?

BMW 325i(EfficientDynamics only), straight 6 petrol engine, 218 bhp, 24% VRT(30% now), €430 VRT compared to €1491(from 1/2/08).

BMW 116i, 118i, 120i, 118d, 120d, 123d, 316i, 318i, 320i, 318d, 320d, 325i, 330i, 325d, 330d, 335d, 520d, 523i, 525i, 530i, 525d, 530d, 535d, 630i(Coupé only), 635d, X3 2.0d, and Z4 2.0i ALL benefit from the change(Manual and Auto boxes included). That's no less than 27 different BMWs!

I don't know about the other makes(well I'm aware of plenty of them but I'd be here forever listing them out) but I would say that ALL superminis(Yaris, Fiesta etc) and city cars (Panda, Aygo etc) will win, small family cars(Focus, Golf etc) EXCEPT for those with 1.4 engines and some performance versions, family/mini exec cars (Avensis/3 series/A4/Passat) with a diesel engine, exec cars with a diesel(5 series), small/midi MPVs/small 4X4's with paraffin stoves are all winners.

The losers seem to be cars with powerful petrol engines, hybrids(except for the Prius, Civic IMA), 1.4's in the Corolla category, petrol repmobiles, fast cars generally, 4X4's and MPV's that are big and/or have a petrol engine. Of course there are exceptions, the 325i has a 3.0 litre petrol engine and does 0-100 in 6.7 seconds and is limited to 250 km/h at the top end, but I think my analysis is as accurtate as it can be based on the generalisations I have made.

No it doesn't.... 140 g/km CO2 is the 20% VRT(down from 25%) and it costs €290 a year to tax(only applies to manual box hatchback models).

Speaking of MINI, what about the Cooper D Hatchback? 102 g/km, 14% VRT, €100 a year to tax under the new scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

oops wrong thread sorry

Cyrus wrote: »
    hmmm get an e46 m3 pre july or a 330cd post :cool:

I like your style :D

(don't you mean a 335cd or is there no such thing?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

E92 wrote: »
    If you want a Prius or a Civic IMA great, otherwise the changes are very bad for Hybrids. Lexus LS600h, 32% VRT anyone? Or GS450h, 28% VRT? They're 15% now. How is that good:confused:?
    Ah come on! People with the cash to buy a LS600h or GS450h don't care about money!

Advertisement