Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Beat the bastards to it - the cars you need after July 08

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

This is very interesting, I have a 04 Alfa 1.6 which i was thinking of changing for a small engined diesel (Perhaps a 1.4turbo diesel) as i dont really need a big car. So now what with the sterling/Euro rate being so good, It may well be worth my while to buy a brand new car after July in the UK and import?

Reading all these comments on this thread are a little confussing!

Looking at Fiat they have some cracking spec 1.4L turbo cars (Grande Punto & Bravo)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Abraham wrote: »
    Now listen here all you JamJar Jockeys, ye have me totally confused with all this information. I need a little sorting out.
    Wifey's got a Yaris 05 but I think I'll be OK under the new system with that, if I'm reading things right.

But I've got a really lovely Rover 75 CDTi (that's a T/dsl) with that great BMW 2 litre engine and I want to keep it awhile longer because it's a fab motor which I just love driving in. Anyone tell me how I'll fare out with the Rover in the new taxation system ? Should be OK shouldn't I since the engine is really a BMW and they're doing best of all under the new scheme ?

Abraham

I hope you are joking :mad:but if not I'll try to make it clear for about the hundreth time:

Cars bought/imported before July 2008 are taxed on the current engine size system..... FOREVER!!

Cars bought/imported after July 2008 are taxed on the new emmission based system...FOREVER

So neither of your currently owned cars will change to the new emmission based system of motor tax

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

That's a proper bagga altogether. I've a 02 1.9tdi Audi A4 and will be paying higher tax for as long as I keep it.

Will I really face trouble off-loading it when the time comes to sell and how much might it take off the value?

I'm kinda hoping that not everyone will be totally au fait with importing though and will just want to buy a reasonably desirable car with no hassle and forms, so I'll be able to sell to somebody post July and then go shopping in England/Norn Iron for a big feck off diesel with all the bells and whistles! Woo hoooooo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Just throw in a years tax and they should be very happy, I guess...

I'm feeling really ripped off with my 2.0TDi.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Riskymove wrote: »
    Cars bought/imported before July 2008 are taxed on the current engine size system..... FOREVER!!

Do you ever think that they will provide some sort of scheme to where an owner of a current low emissions car could get a test done or something and pay road tax on the new emission system, ive heard some word about it, but nothing specific and it will probably be down the line as they will have no doubt some creases to iron out.

But for me personally as a driver of a 1.9d I pay a high road tax [€560 now a year] for a car that has a figure of 145g/km which would take it down to €290 a year. I think if someone drives a low emission car then they should reap something from the new system reguardless or not if they can afford to buy a new car or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

That's a proper bagga altogether. I've a 02 1.9tdi Audi A4 and will be paying higher tax for as long as I keep it.

Will I really face trouble off-loading it when the time comes to sell and how much might it take off the value?

I'm kinda hoping that not everyone will be totally au fait with importing though and will just want to buy a reasonably desirable car with no hassle and forms, so I'll be able to sell to somebody post July and then go shopping in England/Norn Iron for a big feck off diesel with all the bells and whistles! Woo hoooooo!
    I don't think people with diesel cars, or at least popular ones, will have problems offloading the cars later on next year.
    The tax diference is only about €50 for a 1.9 tdi 130. (177g/km). The gov. were actually quite clever (I hate saying that) when they re-structured the new rates. You will find that taxing IS a buisness and they are certinaly not going to loose money, hence the 9.5% and 11% increases in tax to cover popular imports like BMW diesels and VW diesels.
    Only a certain percentage of the motoring population will import a car (diesel or not) from the UK and avail of the new scheme. The Gov. are looking looking at the bigger picture (Europe) and saying " hey look what we did for our carbon footprint", In the mean time let the cash roll in !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

I have a modified RX-7 forest killer on the way from Japan,Ill have it regd and taxed before July and being a Rotary engine it does not do an emission test during NCT test...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

HJL wrote: »
    Do you ever think that they will provide some sort of scheme to where an owner of a current low emissions car could get a test done or something and pay road tax on the new emission system, ive heard some word about it, but nothing specific and it will probably be down the line as they will have no doubt some creases to iron out.

But for me personally as a driver of a 1.9d I pay a high road tax [€560 now a year] for a car that has a figure of 145g/km which would take it down to €290 a year. I think if someone drives a low emission car then they should reap something from the new system reguardless or not if they can afford to buy a new car or not.
    About the only thing the Department of the Environment had to say on the matter when I wrote to them was 'It would be unfair to punish people for a purchasing decision made in the past.' Great Green logic - punish those who made environmentally friendly decisions but not those who didn't, all in the name of not punishing people :confused:

Anyway to answer your question, don't hold your breath. I wrote to Gormley asking this very question in December. A month later I got a reply from his personal secretary, signed by someone else in the department with a PP beside the name. I wrote back rubbishing the above argument and pretty much everything else in the letter. Still waiting for a reply.

Fine Gael are proposing what you suggest (see my attachment). However, thanks to the voters of this country, Fine Gael are in Opposition. Also, thanks to the leader of this country giving the Mahon Tribunal the run around for months, his tax affairs seem set to occupy centre stage in the Dáil for the foreseeable future, at the expense of this issue and any other issue that impacts on the daily lives of the people he was elected to represent.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

this whole vrt / emissions thing is the greatest load of nonsense ever, cars pollute relatively little any even the most enviromentally unfriendly car can only pollute as much as its driven.

The only fair way to impose a tax that hits the polluter is to tax fuel, however no one (not ff, fg, labour or anyone else) will do this as the hauliers/taxi drivers etc will be up in arms

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭paul moore

ok, i have been reading different posts here on this subject...
    If i import a car after july, lets says a 2 litre turbo petrol how will the VRT be priced and then the Road Tax ? (Now im talking about the years 1995 - 1998..)
    I rang my local VRT office and they said its up to me to come up with the results as they dont have the proper figures for older cars,
    Is it still up in the Air ??:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Abraham

Riskymove wrote: »
    Abraham

I hope you are joking :mad:but if not I'll try to make it clear for about the hundreth time:

Cars bought/imported after July 2008 are taxed on the new emmission based system...FOREVER

So neither of your currently owned cars will change to the new emmission based system of motor tax

Risky.....People like you are a national treasure and must be protected.
    Thank you for that simple clarification. Shorn of all the other ifs and buts, it's very clear indeed and I thank you for that.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Good news for you though, bar the increase in tax thanks to Daddy Cowens budget.

Kudos on the 75, an excellent choice, in diesel Conoisseur guise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

When people are saying "Import" a car after July, Does the import have to be a brand new car or can it be a 2nd hand car??

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

snaps wrote: »
    When people are saying "Import" a car after July, Does the import have to be a brand new car or can it be a 2nd hand car??

Either! It doesn't matter if it is new or old, it matters that you register it in Ireland after 01/07/2008

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

paul moore wrote: »
    ok, i have been reading different posts here on this subject...
    If i import a car after july, lets says a 2 litre turbo petrol how will the VRT be priced and then the Road Tax ? (Now im talking about the years 1995 - 1998..)
    I rang my local VRT office and they said its up to me to come up with the results as they dont have the proper figures for older cars,
    Is it still up in the Air ??:confused:

If neither you nor the VRO have CO2 emission values on your car then you will be charged the highest band. See the sticky on this forum for what that band is.

If you are importing a 2 litre and do not have co2 values get it in BEFORE July as the tax will only be calculated on the size of the engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

quarryman wrote: »
    If neither you nor the VRO have CO2 emission values on your car then you will be charged the highest band. See the sticky on this forum for what that band is.

If you are importing a 2 litre and do not have co2 values get it in BEFORE July as the tax will only be calculated on the size of the engine.

So could you then import an R33 Skyline GTR for example and invent a "form" saying that it's producing a nice healthy 164g/km? :D

Advertisement