Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server & router setup.....Help

Options
  • 07-12-2007 1:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm going using an old pentium 4 Dell as my server, I've already got it setup & installed Ubuntu server. I've got 2 network cards in it:

eth0 is set to dchp & connects using pppoe to my provider. it works i can ping www.google.com

eth1 is my lan, its static set to 192.168.10.1 its connected to my dlink 4port wireless router. My router wan port has the static ip of 192.168.10.2 with gateway of 192.168.10.1

I've assigned my laptop the static ip of 192.168.10.4 with a gateway & dns of 192.168.10.2. From the laptop i can wirelessly ping both the router & the server but i cant connect to the server using webmin. Cant ping google either.
    What do i have to do to allow it pass traffic? Is there something in virtual server i have to do. Is this setup correct? Must i connect & setup the firewall with webmin on the server before i connect the router? So many questions :)

Any advise would be great?

Pog

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Sounds like the server is...

1. Not set up to route from Eth1 to Eth0 and / or
    2. Not set up to NAT you out to the 'Net

Can you give more details of the server setup on the network side ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

macrubicon wrote: »
    Sounds like the server is...

1. Not set up to route from Eth1 to Eth0 and / or
    2. Not set up to NAT you out to the 'Net

Can you give more details of the server setup on the network side ?

Ya, had a think about it last nite in bed & came to the same conclusion, I've only got as far as installing webmin on the server, have not configured anything with webmin, but i was hoping to be able to connect wirelessly through router to webmin on the server to configure it. I'll connect the laptop this evening & have a go & report back then.

Ok, update,

I'm trying to instal shorewall, but everytime i try it asks for the disk & doesn't find it. I've ran
    cat /etc/fstab

it gives me an output of this:
    /dev/scd0 /media/cd0 udf,iso9660 user, no auto , exec 0

but when i try to mount it, it says /dev/scd0 does not exist

Help

Right, found an easy answer here

Change Ubuntu Server to use Internet Repositories Instead of cdrom :p

Now i'm setting up my firewall :)

Advertisement