Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Prius Price on 1st July.

Options
  • 07-12-2007 2:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

hi folks query regarding the prius.. its on toyota website as 1.6HSD...
    is it 1.5 or 1.6 ( or is the new model one 1.6)?

but tech specs state, 1497CC so under current situation attracts VRT at 25% with 50% reduction...

come July 1 the car based on co2 will attract VRT at 14% and not alone the government is offering €2500 back too..

its pure madness to buy a car like this, or a diesel 2L (ish) car with low co2 emissions before july 1... eg 320d, accord diesel, avensis etc....

surely this is going to affect new car sales? as the VRT on some is 10% less after July1.

( this assuming that rip off Ireland doesent take hold and prices get jacked up)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

They are 28k now right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

I was thinking this too - I'm guessing the dealers (or more likely the importers) are going to have to bite the bullet and cut the prices from Jan 1st or face having very limited sales until July.....

I was also guessing this will affect the engine line ups as well, some of older petrol engines must be likely to be sold off pre-july as the price changes will just make them impossible to sell? (I guess for these we may see a lot of pre-registered "ex-demo" cars for sale post July with just delivery milage!)

Paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

what_car wrote: »
    hi folks query regarding the prius.. its on toyota website as 1.6HSD...
    is it 1.5 or 1.6 ( or is the new model one 1.6)?

but tech specs state, 1497CC so under current situation attracts VRT at 25% with 50% reduction...

come July 1 the car based on co2 will attract VRT at 14% and not alone the government is offering €2500 back too..

its pure madness to buy a car like this, or a diesel 2L (ish) car with low co2 emissions before july 1... eg 320d, accord diesel, avensis etc....

surely this is going to affect new car sales? as the VRT on some is 10% less after July1.

( this assuming that rip off Ireland doesent take hold and prices get jacked up)
    The old VRT rate is 12.5% (after 50% reduction) for a 1.5l hybrid
    The new rate will be 14% and no mention of a 50% reduction.
    The €2500 rebate is 'up to €2500', so nobody knows yet what the future effective VRT rate for a hybrid will be. The annual road tax is changing from €313 annually to €100 annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Prius is currently €30,650 including delivery and related charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

colm_mcm wrote: »

hi colm, what does the lux pack contain, and is there much of a wait for a prius at the minute?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

colm_mcm wrote: »

Colm_mcm is there a new prius due? as the toyota site shows the prius listed as 1.6?

but the brochures list it as 1497.cc

??

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

For €1388 the luxury pack gets you

JBL sound system, which has 9 speakers instead of 6.
    6 disc MP3 disc changer and an audio input in the glovebox (3.5mm)
    Cruise control and front foglights.

All Prius models get automatic transmission, touch screen heating and audio controls, alloys, 4 electric windows, armrest, climate control, leather steering wheel, 8 airbags,
    VSC, traction control, brake assist etc.

I wouldn't bother with the standard model TBH, for €1388 extra, the Luxury pack is good value. The cruise control is worth €350 and the fogs are €550 seperately. the audio system is also miles better than the already decent standard system.

There are also satnav and leather packs available. The leather pack also gets intelligent park assist (think that's what it's called?) which can park the car for you! Problem is they push the price too high for most peoples liking. You could nearly get a 1.6 3 series with no equipment for the same money.

The 1.6 on toyota.ie is just a misprint, the new site is only 2 weeks old, so it'll get ironed out eventually!

I've heard so many different accounts of new Prius models in the pipeline, that I don't know what the story is on a replacement. Heard they were changing to lithium ion batteries, then heard they were changing the way the electric motor operated so it could run at higher speeds, then diesel was mentioned, then plug-in charging for the battery.

My guess is they will refine the current system in 09 or so and increase economy and performance. I doubt they will revolutionise the battery technology, as low production cost must be prioritised if they want to make it a success (vague, I know!)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would have a look at the Honda Civic 1.4 litre Hybrid also.

It is not much smaller in dimensions than the current Accord. I think it costs in or around the same as the Prius but is not as quirky looking as the Prius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

bazz26 wrote: »
    I would have a look at the Honda Civic 1.4 litre Hybrid also.

It is not much smaller in dimensions than the current Accord. I think it costs in or around the same as the Prius but is not as quirky looking as the Prius.

It actually comes in a bit cheaper than the Prius, as it's a bit simpler by design and is in the lower VRT (22.5%) bracket at the moment.

But even if the €2,500 thing doesn't happen the €100 a year road tax alone makes it worth the wait till July to buy either a Civic or Prius.

Advertisement