Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Cinema Naas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

As regards my comments about remylebleu - are you telling me that someone with two posts to their names both defending the Cinema are not a stakeholder of some sort.

He may be, but you cannot prove that so therefore you can't sling allegations around.

As for criticism of the facilities, and discussion of it's pros and cons, I don't really have an issue with that once it's kept to the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 remylebeau

No I'm not the manager. ( The manager is a woman, which I'm not last time I checked ). I'm not a stock holder or anything of the sort. I just think you should lay off on the staff.

If you get enough people to sign a petition or ring Dominic ( his no. is on the parking machines ) he might get ticked off and get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

Pub07 wrote: »
    Anyone else have bad experiences with this place? I think it's a joke, 3 out of 4 of the films I've seen there, there have been problems with. I remember smoking aces the screen was 'fuzzy' or not properly focused for the entire film, Beowolf had some kind intermittent rumbling/droning sound from the speakers that started after a 20 minutes and contineud till the end that was extremely irritating and made it harder to hear the film itself.
    Then last night I hear that they left some phil collins song playing for 5-10 minutes into the Hitman film and had various issues with restarting it that took more time. Then .....
    did you complain? did you go up to the staff and tell about this problem while it was happening? you do realise that for all the screens in strom there is only 1 projectionist! this is the case in most cinemas! they are far to busy most nights for sound checks and the like as they can have 3 movies starting within 5 mins of each other, and at the same time have to do the grunt work! learn the system!

muletide wrote: »
    Proof of what ? The place is a dump - enough people here have said so I have seen it with my own eyes numerous times (and will not be seeing it again). Filthy joint with unhelpful staff and the parking situation is doing it no favours even if it is imposed on it by someone else in the complex.

As regards my comments about remylebleu - are you telling me that someone with two posts to their names both defending the Cinema are not a stakeholder of some sort.

What is the point of this forum if people cannot warn other Kildare dwellers to avoid this place as it does not represent value for money when you have other cinemas 15 more minutes up the road of much higher quality. If you close this thread you render this whole forum pointless.
    does any one remember the old cinema in naas?(dara?) its a crap hole, you cant honstly believe a cinema as good as storm is crap, i myself have traveled many miles just to get the high quality feel of the storm in naas! i am a carlow man, not a stakeholder, manager, or have any connections with the cinema, its just a great cinema, only cinemas that come close are in dublin, you have to pay for parking(more expensive) and tickets are nearly twice the price, and popcorn, etc, is way more expensive, if you have a problem, talk to the manager/supervisor on duty that night, he\she will sort you out, dont wait frigging 2 weeks or more to complain, at that point they can do damn all about it! if its a sound\picture quality issue, this can be addressed at the time and sorted very quickly by a member of staff at most levels. as regards to a previous post about having to go back to before the ads, do you realise how cinema films are put together, its not a dvd, most cinemas still have their movies on reels, more tecnogoledical, but still have to be cut, reset, and played from the start!

Pub07 wrote: »
    At the end of the day it is an absolute joke for a cinema's customers to have to put up with pay parking no matter what way you look at it.
    i asked a staff member last time i was there, they pay the same rates you do, stop complaining! there are no privilages!

• Advertisement

muletide wrote: »
    Are you typing this from the managers office in the Storm Cinema in Naas or are you on a day off today ?
    btw he mighten be the manager, but i would of thought this was common knowledge! look likes someone never had a job!

cowenstaff wrote: »
    Its a dirty dingy kip -

But the kids enjoyed it!
    you want a well lite conema?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

The guy who owns the place is called Patrick O'Sullivan. He owns about 5 - 6 other Storm cinemas around the country, and used to own Dara Cinema in Naas for quite a long time.
    http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2004/09/19/story551490994.asp

Anyway, about the cinema. Having been there a good few times now I think its run just about ok. The staff are quite slow sometimes, the prices are not as expensive as in Dublin but they come a very close second. An like someone else pointed out here, any of the screens I've been to stink of puke. Apart from that and the stupid parking charge (which is a f*cking joke) I think the place is fine.

Does anyone know what ever happened to the digital projectors they were talking about when the place opened? It was meant to be one of the first cinemas in Ireland (and Europe if I remember correctly) to move away form the traditional reel, towards something like a DVD or network download projector.

They are digital projectors, but digital cinema projectors are still on reels, just really really big ones! these ones take 2 guys to lift them!

btw, nearly all cinemas now a days have a form of digital projection,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

Why dont they advertise a bit more! I can never find out the movie timetable! (i know its on the net but i dont have net at home) Its not on aertel or in any of the papers!

and your using what to reply to this? try calling them and ask them the times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 cinemagoer

Out of interest in what was being said in the previous posts, i went to Vue cinema last weekend. I paid €2- more for my ticket, had to park a mile away from the cinema and walk through a nasty carpark full of scumbags just to get to the shopping centre. It took me 15mins to get to the top of the que and get a ticket to see there will be blood. The place was filthy!!!!!!! I dont know how people could perfer this place! The food was also more expensive by a fiver!!!! haha, so let me tot that up I spent an additional €7 before I even went in. (I could have brought my son, who is a student to see the move with me in Storm for the difference in price.) Thats before I even added on the extra petrol. I went into the screen and that was faily clean so I just sat down and was looking forward to watching the movie!!!!! The movie started late, there were kids drinking IN the cinema and there were big yellow lines running through the screen!!!! My god why did I go away from Storm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any of you who frequent Vue and are commenting on this board should be ashamed for refering other Kildare people to that Dive!!!!!!!!!

aynon wrote: »
    They are digital projectors, but digital cinema projectors are still on reels, just really really big ones! these ones take 2 guys to lift them!

Ok I like this cinema but they are not digital projectors, they might have digital sound but not digital projectors. Digital projectors allow you to rewind and pause etc..... I know this because I asked in the cinema and one of the staff told me that they were in the process of getting them over the next few months!!!! still a great cinema, ye it has its problems but nothing as bad as my experience in vue!!! I see people complaining about the carpark and ye its not nice having to pay but at least you dont have drunk kids in the screens!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

i use storm all the time. Normally use Vue but have no probs with Storm tbh. it cost like a euro to park. And who's stoooopid enuff to buy cinema food these days anyway?

BTW where do yis park when ye goto the cinema in town?

I didnt actually mean a mile but i mean a good bit away when its windy and raining!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭token56

I can confirm that storm naas does not have any digital projectors and i know this true experience. Some of the storm sites do however naas is not one of them

I dont know where you got you information but digital projectors due not use reels. You clearly dont understand the difference between digital and analogue. For the digital projectors currently being used by some cinemas the film comes as a direct download over a network or by a portable hard drive. Each digital projector also has a hard drive which the film is stored on.

Currently very few cinemas have these installed and there are few films released for digital projectors although most of the major blockbusters are. However not all cinemas use them even if they have them as they are still not as reliable as traditional projectors.

cinemagoer wrote: »
    Ok I like this cinema but they are not digital projectors, they might have digital sound but not digital projectors. Digital projectors allow you to rewind and pause etc..... I know this because I asked in the cinema and one of the staff told me that they were in the process of getting them over the next few months!!!! still a great cinema, ye it has its problems but nothing as bad as my experience in vue!!! I see people complaining about the carpark and ye its not nice having to pay but at least you dont have drunk kids in the screens!!!!!

Just so you know the staff in Storm are not trained projection work so they don't know how stuff like that works without guessing. Only the supervisors and the projectionist would know such stuff.:rolleyes:

token56 wrote: »
    I can confirm that storm naas does not have any digital projectors and i know this true experience. Some of the storm sites do however naas is not one of them

I dont know where you got you information but digital projectors due not use reels. You clearly dont understand the difference between digital and analogue. For the digital projectors currently being used by some cinemas the film comes as a direct download over a network or by a portable hard drive. Each digital projector also has a hard drive which the film is stored on.

Currently very few cinemas have these installed and there are few films released for digital projectors although most of the major blockbusters are. However not all cinemas use them even if they have them as they are still not as reliable as traditional projectors.

The reason why few places have digital projectors is because the actual projector is more expensive and the film is also more expensive.

Yes the film comes in a hard drive or over a network but for this to work you either need a super fast internet or to fork out more for a hard drive a movie.

Because all of this costs more the prices would have to go up. As the prices's are already high enough, customers wouldn't like to pay more for a very little better quality film.

As the reel projectors work fine and have done for like 100 years or so, most cinemas don't see the point in changing them.

The reason i know this is because i was a projectionist myself.:cool:

baztard wrote: »
    The guy who owns the place is called Patrick O'Sullivan. He owns about 5 - 6 other Storm cinemas around the country, and used to own Dara Cinema in Naas for quite a long time.
    http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2004/09/19/story551490994.asp

Just for anyone who may be interested Patrick O'Sullivan no longer owns the storm cinemas and they are now to be run by Odeon and UCI cinemas who also run 3 cinemas in dublin. The cinemas will be owned by EEG. However for the immediate future the cinemas will still operate under the name storm cinemas.

And Proof:
    http://www.movies.ie/html/article.aspx?articleid=2163

• Advertisement

remylebeau wrote: »
    The reason why few places have digital projectors is because the actual projector is more expensive and the film is also more expensive.

Yes the film comes in a hard drive or over a network but for this to work you either need a super fast internet or to fork out more for a hard drive a movie.

Because all of this costs more the prices would have to go up. As the prices's are already high enough, customers wouldn't like to pay more for a very little better quality film.

As the reel projectors work fine and have done for like 100 years or so, most cinemas don't see the point in changing them.

The reason i know this is because i was a projectionist myself.:cool:

Since I am also trained in projection I can speak from experience.
    Actually getting digital films is not expensive at all. Super fast internet is not required as part of getting the projectors is that you have a server and are connected to a network to download the films. The projectors can also be remotely controlled through this network. The cost of maintenance of this server is not actually paid by the cinema.

In terms of getting the films through hard drives. Once the film is downloaded to the server the hard drive is sent back to the production company much like you do with the reel when you are finished showing a particular film. The cost for hard drives nowadays is very small and companys actually prefer sending digital copies.

The cost of the projectors are a bit more expensive than the older projectors granted. However the cost of maintenance is much less.

If anyone is interested this is the crowd who role out digital projectors in Ireland.
    http://www.digitalcinema.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darby OGill

Generally poor experience of this cinema. No-one seems to monitor the projection room to make sure films are showing properly. In one case, the film was very badly out of focus- took ages to get someone to come fix it and then it was not re-started. Brought 80 kids to another show (don't ask), sound was dreadful for at least 20 minutes, same experience- no restart, no refund, no apology.

No-one seems to be in charge, just lots of teenagers looking to hide from anything other than their programmed tasks (I don't blame them).

No separate queue if you just want tickets and not the crap.

No control of rowdy kids/teens from staff.

Car-park is dreadful.

Would go anywhere else in preference. In a word: avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Storm is arguably the worst cinema that I have ever used. Dara was 10 times better, and thats saying something! Hell, Oscar in Newbridge was better.

The projectionists have not got a clue what they are doing. One film I went to see had about 10% of the left hand side of the film projecting on the side wall, another was rotated about 15 degrees to the left. A third film I saw was shaking so badly someone from the audience had to go up to the projectionist and tell them to sort it out...

The cinema is run by kids who have absolutely no control over the audience at all. One of the main reasons I stopped going is because I got sick of telling all the little 14 year old knackers to shut the f**k up during the film. One night I was watching a film and the stewart actually told one of them to leave and they told him to f**k off, and he did! Pathetic beyond belief.

I also resent the fact that I have to pay for parking. Big deal, I get a discounted rate. I pay €9 for a ticket, €10 for popcorn and drinks, I should not have to pay another €2 for parking. I have no choice but to drive; the cinema is not within reasonable walking distance of town, and there is no alternative parking. Its an absolute disgrace.

I wont even get started on the pathetic quality of films that they show... Talk about picking the worst selection every week. All in all, I would actaully sooner drive the extra 20 miles to go to Vue or CineWorld rather than endure a night in Storm Cinema. The sooner the cinema in Whitewater opens, the better, although I have low expectations for that too...

please refer to post #34.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Red Mosquito

Having to pay for the carpark is a joke (even though it is down to £1 now) so far out of town...fatcat greed, on behalf of the carpark owner.

Cannot reserve a seat online anymore as they are obviously cutting costs.

Have had a few frustrating visits here and would look at alternatives before booking again. Pity. Staff do their best and manager did handle professionally.

reason for not booking online, they have changed hands to uci.

be a week or two before its reintroduced.

please refer to post #34.

Its a fair point, and I have complained. I also intend to write to them outlining the problems, but I really dont expect too much to change. Also, only having one projectionist for 5 or 6 screens is not an excuse for the place been poorly run. If they do not have the staff to run the place, they should hire more people, simple as that.

In your post after (#35 I presume) you say you travel from Carlow to go to such a high quality cinema in Naas? Do yourself a favour and travel a few more miles and go to Vue. If you think Naas is good, Liffey Valley will blow your mind!

its cheaper to get to naas, as it easier, dont have to go far to find parking.

1 projectionist is the standard in most cinemas, ask vue ect, they will tell ya.

its cheaper to get to naas, as it easier, dont have to go far to find parking.

Its no cheaper to go to Naas; tickets are more or less the same price as Vue. It may be closer, but Vue is worth the drive. The parking in Liffey Valley is much better than Naas, even if it is a big car park. And its free. All in all, Vue is worth the extra 15 minutes in the car.
    1 projectionist is the standard in most cinemas, ask vue ect, they will tell ya.

If it is standard in most cinemas, how come 1 projectionist in Vue can manage 12 screens or whatever they have, whereas 1 in Naas cannot manage 5? The same goes for Cineworld, Tallaght, Blanch, Dundrum, Savoy etc. I am a frequent cinema goer and I use all these cinemas (apart from UCI) and none have the pathetic standard of Naas. Storm is amaturishly run and a complete waste of money. Its a shame cause it has potential to be a great cinema, but unless it changes, it will never be taken seriously. Most of the people I know from Naas, of almost any age, will sooner travel to Liffey Valley rather than use Storm.

• Advertisement

have you ever been to carlow?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement