Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Its wrong to profit from the VRT changes at the expense of the Environment

Options
  • 07-12-2007 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Does anyone else have the opinion that to try to profit from the changes to the VRT and Tax pre July by buying a more polluting car before the changes take place is wrong

To me its akin to discarding your contents of your car ashtray on the street the day before its becomes illegal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

As opposed to waiting until July to get a new car to benefit from "green" benefits, despite the massive impact of making the damn car in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Does anyone else have the opinion that to try to profit from the changes to the VRT and Tax pre July by buying a more polluting car before the changes take place is wrong

To me its akin to discarding your contents of your car ashtray on the street the day before its becomes illegal.

Define "pollution"

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Define "profit"
    Can't see how you could call anything a profit after paying VRT. Illegal anti EU tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

O pipe down. Are you trolling?:confused: Seriously, we pay high road tax anyway, why should someone feel guilty by buying a particular car now and not having to may MORE tax over the cars lifetime. Maybe the person worked hard to save for the car and want to enjoy their money their way. Get off your high horse. I suppose you think the Toyota Prius is highly environmentally friendly too.

Go protest with the rest of the whackos about shell to sea or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

eternalsunshine, if you believe that changing the illegal/ immoral VRT, on top of a serious hike in road tax, including the fuel duties and VAT are going to make anything RESEMBLING a change to the environment, you are deeply naive and easily bamboozled.

Anyone can prove with a calculator that it's not an environment tax hike, it's just a tax hike. Usage is the key to reducing emmisions. I have a 2.8 that doesn't move from my driveway most of the time and a 40k km school-run mobile is the actual polluter.

I've said this a thousand times, we are an Island nation with a dispersed population and a fleet of small and diesel cars without a public transport alternative.

The "guzzlers" only guzzle marginally more than the frugal ones (do some research) so they are solving a problem that doesn't exist on a pious mission to use the environment to strip more revenue from the already over burdoned Irish motorist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

this thread is trolling of the highest order and is the most pointless thread ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

I think I can sum the answer to this up in one word

NO

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

gn3dr wrote: »
    Define "profit"
    Can't see how you could call anything a profit after paying VRT. Illegal anti EU tax.
    It is anti-EU but it is not illegal!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

buying a more polluting car before the changes take place is wrong

People do whatever they can get away with. Human nature!

Of course, Gormley could have avoided all this by taxing at the pump only. Anybody buying a big guzzler or driving interstellar miles will pay dearly for it and rightly so...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

unkel wrote: »
    Of course, Gormley could have avoided all this by taxing at the pump only. Anybody buying a big guzzler or driving interstellar miles will pay dearly for it and rightly so...
    And well he knows that this is the fairest policy and most likely to have an impact. So why didn't our green minister take this route?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Perhaps what you meant, really, was:
    Does anyone else have the opinion that to try to protect themselves from being ripped off by the tax changes pre July by buying a used car before the changes take place is prudent?

To me its akin to giving up smoking to protect your wellbeing and society's by giving up smoking, before its becomes illegal.

If that's what you meant, the answer is yes.

If the original post question is correct.........NO.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 laughin'joe

All this talk of hikes and yet no protests if this was France (and before we get the clowns saying "well it's not" relax I said "if this was") the likes of O'Connell street would be on fire as we speak, typical Irish complian! complain! and do noting about it and just moan and blame other people...who put these shower of muck balls in power oh! yeah it was us the Irish people.....although I didn't vote them in I dispise Bertie and his bunch of criminals, we had "The Tiger Gang" who robbed ATM Cash Vans now we have a "tiger goverment" who robs the people while smiling in their faces...how nice!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

We all know that we can only have one government at a time. FF has made us a wealthy and prosperous country, all things considered, but it's at the expense of victimising motorists which is deeply unethical given the current state of affairs in Irish transport because of they're procrastination. It's the most used phrase for FF, all stick and no carrot.

We shouldn't vote out our most successful government for this reason alone. I agree though, as victimised Irish motorists, we should demonstrate that until they give us an alternative, they should not force us be stripped on the back of solving a made-up problem, where the solution only benefits the ailing public finances (sorry for repeating myself).

Tax coming out the yingyang, hasn't stopped people causing the "gas-guzzler problem" (!) to begin with. Seemingly, if they were really concerned about the environment, they'd have to barricade up the main dealers because one of the consequences of being successful in a successful economy is that you will not want a 1.4td fiesta any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭blackbox

AAAAGRHH!

This tax isn't about pollution.

This tax is encouraging people to use diesel cars because they produce less CO2.

CO2 is about the least harmful thing that comes out of a car's exhaust. Particulates from Diesels are carcinogenic. (and yes, I know some Diesels have particulate filters, but that's not covered by this tax.)

This tax is about as sensible as banning incandescent light bulbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

At the risk of repeating, yes I ageree that FF has made (some) people wealthy but the nation as a whole is better off than say, 15 years ago. And yes it is a cost to the nation that we have to pay high taxes for "luxury" items i.e. cars over 2.5 or a 3 ltr. However, I think that this (in my book) illegal tav of VRT and silly co2 emmissions fix, that they are presenting to us, the overburdened tax payer (espically paye), is unbeliveable when we have no real transport system to speak of.
    Give me cheap reliable, dependable and on time public transport and I WILL use it. I will not however get out of bed 2 hours before normal to get a mixture of busses that might or might not turn up on time. (Busses or trains or whatever). The whole thing is a joke.
    Just hit the motorist again. Discrace really!!

Advertisement