Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car auctions

Options
  • 07-12-2007 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

Guys just wondering why are there afew 07 cars/vans on auction at the moment at merlin.Would dealers not put them on the forecourt and get more as the auction is no reserve.

Also what are your experieces with auctions with Wilsons, or Merlin

http://www.merlincarauctions.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=854803

Can someone in the trade please let me know how the auctions work.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Is there one out there that has purchased through auctions etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

most likely "being sold on behalf of a financial institution"...

kazul wrote: »
    most likely "being sold on behalf of a financial institution"...

Thats what i thought, I will go some weekend just to see what the prices are like

Does anyone know if merlin give out prices of the previous auctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

you can sign up for a monthly email with prices - hopefully this link works!

http://content.ll-0.com/merlin/snapshot.pdf?i=110207091456

bf wrote: »
    you can sign up for a monthly email with prices - hopefully this link works!

http://content.ll-0.com/merlin/snapshot.pdf?i=110207091456

Yep the link does work, I will try register for that, I looked closely and some cars seem to be expensive and jsut some are cheap like the 06 A8 for 60k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

dr dre, theres generally very few no reserve cars unless merlin stipulate that they are having an upcoming no reserve auction. The dealers just chance there arm to see what they can get and most high end 2007 car always seem to go to provisional anyway and then you have to barter it out with the dealers.

tvr wrote: »
    dr dre, theres generally very few no reserve cars unless merlin stipulate that they are having an upcoming no reserve auction. The dealers just chance there arm to see what they can get and most high end 2007 car always seem to go to provisional anyway and then you have to barter it out with the dealers.

Thanks, What do you mean by this (look in the bold),If its no reserve then if a high end car sells for 20k it has to be sold for 20k.Thats the way auctions work i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

not many cars are sold without reserve, car hire/lease/dealers will put cars into aucton and if the car is near their reserve it will go prov sale.

this means you get to barter(pay a little more) to get car,if you want it.

be aware,whilst there are bargains to be had there are also lemons to be shifted...if you intend to buy,bring someone with a bit of knowledge with you.

good luck.

kindalen wrote: »
    not many cars are sold without reserve, car hire/lease/dealers will put cars into aucton and if the car is near their reserve it will go prov sale.

this means you get to barter(pay a little more) to get car,if you want it.

be aware,whilst there are bargains to be had there are also lemons to be shifted...if you intend to buy,bring someone with a bit of knowledge with you.

good luck.

If i do buy,i will be only looking for newer cars e.g. 05 onwards mainly close to 07 so there shouldnt be any major issues.But a mechanic would be brought for surety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 blarneyone

drdre wrote: »
    If i do buy,i will be only looking for newer cars e.g. 05 onwards mainly close to 07 so there shouldnt be any major issues.But a mechanic would be brought for surety.

Bigger probs with these ones ... do you not know that all clocking now haas to be done on cars before they enter the NCT system and have their record on a computer somewhere.

Also I know a company that just bought 4 "6 month old Mondeo" estates 130bhp TD with between 4 and 6k on the clock. BUT on closer inspection of one, roof full of filler and you should see the panel gap on the bonnet, and even an engine mount is off, But they got em on a deal and the Transport manager is not going to say anything!!

• Advertisement

blarneyone wrote: »
    Bigger probs with these ones ... do you not know that all clocking now haas to be done on cars before they enter the NCT system and have their record on a computer somewhere.

Also I know a company that just bought 4 "6 month old Mondeo" estates 130bhp TD with between 4 and 6k on the clock. BUT on closer inspection of one, roof full of filler and you should see the panel gap on the bonnet, and even an engine mount is off, But they got em on a deal and the Transport manager is not going to say anything!!

Yep i would agree with you, But the cars should be checked out fully before its bought.Im going to go and observe afew times and then make the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

bought an astra at merlin a few years back and apart from the normal astra problems it's still going strong (my girlfriend has it now) it was 2k below the normal market price of astras at the time.

patrickc wrote: »
    bought an astra at merlin a few years back and apart from the normal astra problems it's still going strong (my girlfriend has it now) it was 2k below the normal market price of astras at the time.
    Thanks

Also guys i heard you can buy warranties, Where is this possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

You might come back and let us know what you saw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭T J Hooker

drdre wrote: »
    Thanks

Also guys i heard you can buy warranties, Where is this possible?

You cannot buy a warranty at an auction, cars are sold "as is". If you are refering to Merlin warranties, these can only be purchased when buying a car from Merlin Motor City.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Look upon it as a trade sale where the price is set through open bidding. No guarantees, no come back and cash in hand ( or draft ).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

used to drive cars down from wilsons one time, the auctioneer would some times say this car is here to be sold, what used to happen, a car has a reserve, week one if it does not reach it is run through, week two the same, week three it is flogged for whatever it makes, if you intend to buy you need to go each week for a month, you eyes and ears open, mouth shut, then your bargain will come, never ever buy a car when you need one,

Advertisement