Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lap dancing club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I heard it being talked about on Newstalk about half an hour ago. They had a guy there on Friday night doing a vox pop with patrons, protesters, etc. There had been talk about this not being suitable for a historic medieval location. But there was a tongue-in-cheek comment made that stuff like this, and worse, went on during medieval times, so it is actually appropriate:) The sex shop up the road was also mentioned by supporters of the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 seankk

Any idea which Newstalk programme this was? Interviewed on Fri. night muself with the craic about medieval practices!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think it was the Sean Moncrieff show in the afternoon. Was the guy who interviewed you a bloke with an English accent? If so definately the moncrieff show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭bassy

anyone know who owns it or is running it?. are the irish people or foreigners?.

Stephen wrote: »
    I think it was the Sean Moncrieff show in the afternoon. Was the guy who interviewed you a bloke with an English accent? If so definately the moncrieff show.

Thanks off to listen to the podcast. Guys out fromt running the club appear Irish. Try www.whispers.ie for more info on place. Interstingly, they're targetting thirtd level students in Waterford. Sure sign that they're not making a fortune!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Who here is aganist this lap dancing club? I don't see nothing bad and about it. Only a bit of a laugh and another reason for old folk to complain. I say get in with the days, were not living in 20th century catholic ireland anymore:rolleyes:

Plug wrote: »
    Who here is aganist this lap dancing club? I don't see nothing bad and about it. Only a bit of a laugh and another reason for old folk to complain. I say get in with the days, were not living in 20th century catholic ireland anymore:rolleyes:

Predictable 'right-on' post. I'm against for one and anybody who bothers to do a bit of research into lap-dancing and sex clubs would be . The direct links to trafficking of and gross exploitation of women are well proven and the idea that this is harmless fun is frankly bull****. I'm a 42 year old left-wing man, not a Legion of Mary type, and far more liberal on social issues than most of those visiting sex clubs. Ask any Rape Crisis centre in a town with a sex club and you'll find out the truth. Meanwhile check out these links if you want the truth!

http://www.nuigalway.ie/ssrc/documents/The Nature and Extent of Trafficking of Women into Ireland for the Purposes of Sexual Exploitation (2000-2006) - 2007.pdf

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:iJAbeeYwpyAJ:www.protectionproject.org/ireland.doc+lap+dancing+and+trafficking+of+women+ireland&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/AF8653FD-9FC4-4DE6-8238-CE629C7D6C3E/0/LapdancingReport.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I'm also against - so now!! :p

I know people involved in the voluntary organisation Ruhama which works with women involved in prostitution, and I would agree that those types of clubs are not as harmless as it would appear.

The annoying thing is - when you say you are against, you immediately have to clarify you are not some Holy Mary/Joe clutching rosary beads!

Anyone who thinks its harmless - would you like your little sister working in one? (And if anyone is thinking of a witty rejoiner to that question - i don't want to know!! :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

seankk wrote: »
    Predictable 'right-on' post. I'm against for one and anybody who bothers to do a bit of research into lap-dancing and sex clubs would be . The direct links to trafficking of and gross exploitation of women are well proven and the idea that this is harmless fun is frankly bull****. I'm a 42 year old left-wing man, not a Legion of Mary type, and far more liberal on social issues than most of those visiting sex clubs. Ask any Rape Crisis centre in a town with a sex club and you'll find out the truth. Meanwhile check out these links if you want the truth!

http://www.nuigalway.ie/ssrc/documents/The Nature and Extent of Trafficking of Women into Ireland for the Purposes of Sexual Exploitation (2000-2006) - 2007.pdf

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:iJAbeeYwpyAJ:www.protectionproject.org/ireland.doc+lap+dancing+and+trafficking+of+women+ireland&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/AF8653FD-9FC4-4DE6-8238-CE629C7D6C3E/0/LapdancingReport.pdf

Welcome to the board Holy Joe:rolleyes:

BingoBongo wrote: »
    Ha Ha:D

• Advertisement

BingoBongo wrote: »

Been called lots of things in my time but having opposed SPUC and the Anti-Divorce brigade, this one's definitely a first. There's a difference between opposition to sexual exploitation and religious fundamentalism Plug-some day you'll find that out!

What's SPUC stand for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Society for the Protection of Unborn Children.

Oh... them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I would be against it's placement rather than the club itself. I think it would be more suited to the John Street area rather than Parliament Street where the pubs are relaxed, good for a quiet drink and with little or no hen or stag nights. Most of the people who drink there regularly don't really like clubbing or loud, cramped pubs blaring dance music. Also, I would assume the majority aren't impressed by dealing with hen or stag nights drinking way too much and making a tit of themselves and not giving two craps about other people, as long as they're having fun (not to tar ALL stag and hen nights like that though, some can be quite civilised). I fear that stag nights will start appearing in the Pumphouse or Anaconda or Cleeres and ruin the nights out for those of us who don't enjoy the 'John street' atmosphere.

ergonomics wrote: »
    I would be against it's placement rather than the club itself. I think it would be more suited to the John Street area rather than Parliament Street where the pubs are relaxed, good for a quiet drink and with little or no hen or stag nights. Most of the people who drink there regularly don't really like clubbing or loud, cramped pubs blaring dance music. Also, I would assume the majority aren't impressed by dealing with hen or stag nights drinking way too much and making a tit of themselves and not giving two craps about other people, as long as they're having fun (not to tar ALL stag and hen nights like that though, some can be quite civilised). I fear that stag nights will start appearing in the Pumphouse or Anaconda or Cleeres and ruin the nights out for those of us who don't enjoy the 'John street' atmosphere.

I agree ergonomics in relation to Parliament Street-I'm a reasonable regular in Cleere's myself, but I relaly think that the idea that this would be OK somewhere else in town is no less acceptable. At the risk of Plug and Bingo Bongo or whatever getting hot under their anti-clerical collars, I really think the civil rights and human rights issues here are too urgent. The least anybody who considers these sex clubs to be good harmless fun should do is to arm themselves with the facts. The three links I posted already give plenty evidence of this sick, seedy industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I think ergonomics would be a great name for a lapdancing club. :D

(But I still dont approve of them!!!;))

The lap dancing club is up stairs somewhere. Its not like if theres a bunch of slappers standing bollock naked outside telling people to go in. Its quite around there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Is it identifiable from the outside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

Lapdancin is just a dickie tease ...Its like the kilkenny women TBH , its just another langtons with poles if u ask me :D:D

• Advertisement

Lapdancin is just a dickie tease ...Its like the kilkenny women TBH , its just another langtons with poles if u ask me :D:D
    Well said!

@Bond-007, naa not really. Theres no big flames or shiney poles outside it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Well, if the creeps who frequent Langton's decide to hang around the lapdancing club, it would be very nice for us non-freaks :p

You will have to be rich to go in there I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

Firetrap wrote: »
    Well, if the creeps who frequent Langton's decide to hang around the lapdancing club, it would be very nice for us non-freaks :p

Kilkenny people only breathe in because the air is free so i doubt they will spend the money on naked women its all hurleys ye love big naked hurleys without the grip ...:D

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Kilkenny people only breathe in because the air is free so i doubt they will spend the money on naked women its all hurleys ye love big naked hurleys without the grip ...:D

:D

its not the kilkenny people who its aimed at but the stag parties that invade every weekend. Till now they pretty much stuck to john st but now they have a reason to wander out round the rest of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 twofoot6

Plug wrote: »

...yes your right, we are living in 20th century Ireland and we are meant to be educated, forward thinking individuals. I am fed up with people like you pidgeon holing those who are educated enough to see the harm that the legalisation of lap dancing clubs causes. Just because someone is intelligent enough to see the bigger picture does not necessarily mean that they are old, religious or prudes. I am strongly against lap dancing clubs and I am a young,reasonably good looking, fun loving, forward thinking female with a healthy attitude towards sex. Your comments are extremley ignorant, conservative and blinkered. My advise to you is to stop watching trash tv, and reading tabloids and go and get yourself an education about the reality of lap dancing clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 onewoman

twofoot6 wrote: »
    Just because someone is intelligent enough to see the bigger picture does not necessarily mean that they are old, religious or prudes. I am strongly against lap dancing clubs and I am a young,reasonably good looking, fun loving, forward thinking female with a healthy attitude towards sex. Your comments are extremley ignorant, conservative and blinkered. My advise to you is to stop watching trash tv, and reading tabloids and go and get yourself an education about the reality of lap dancing clubs.

+1, exactly

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

For someone who isn't fond of "pidgeon holing" you do a fair bit of it yourself.... lay off the old, ugly, boring people - they can have valid opinions too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

apparently, some people aren't educated enough to have an opinion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

I drove past it tonight at about half 9, and there were a handful of people protesting against it. I drove past again on my way home 10 minutes later, and there was a guard taking their names.

I don't see why they're protesting, I can't see the club being a success, and by protesting they are simply drawing attention to it

Advertisement