Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My First Car

Options
  • 07-12-2007 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hey

I have almost 10,000 saved up to buy my first car.

I am only beginning to learn about cars/engine/running costs etc but I have seen the Mazda MX 5 and am in love....

Obviously it will be a 2nd hand model 7,000E +

Any advice?

Insurance,engine size?1.6/1.8.....to buy here? or up north ?

I will only be using the cars at wknds/holidays

provisional licence ,3 yrs named driver

I dont know any one who has one but have seen them around and really WANT IT!

I appreciate any advice, Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have to say I wouldn't spend 7,000 on a car as a provisional driver, 3 years driving or not. You'd get an old MX5 for that but I'm not sure you'd get insurance easily on it on a provo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I think most here would agree that prorata, cars in the North have a greater risk of being clocked. That is not to say that you shouldn't at all but getting a stamped service history book along with receipts and old MoTs is the way to go.

I wouldn't rule out buying one in the republic either but you have found that they're few and far between. Mileage, condition and spec are more important than the year with a car I suspect so get the best example for your budget.

Try Autotrader.co.uk and as a general rule, if you're budget is €8k, you're max will be £4000, ie double the sterling to find the euro figure with VRT.

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/MAZDA+MX-5/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146,N-18-41-145-4294967229-4294967256/search.action?postcode=NE13+6PE&radius=1500&showMoreOptions= nicest in this colour IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Some insurance companies have a minimum age restriction on convertibles. Wanted to pick up a Golf Mk1 Clipper, but was told by insurance company they didn't insure anyone under 28 on them.

Advertisement