Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do brakes 'loosen up' quickly?

Options
  • 07-12-2007 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

Sorry if that's a horribly girly way of putting it!

I've had my car for about two weeks now, when I test drove it and for a couple of days when I got it home (after it had been approved for the warranty etc) the brakes were incredibly sharp, you'd only have to tap the pedal and it would stop dead. Now however it takes a lot more pressing of the brake to get it to slow down/stop (taking into account what gear I'm in etc.).

I was just wondering if this is normal or the fact they've 'loosened' so quickly is something to be worried about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I don't think they should loosen at all. If there has been a dramatic loosening, I would take it back tbh, especially with the weather we've been having. What car is it?

It could also be that you've sub-consciously tuned into you're sharp brakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I suppose so yeah, when I test drove it and braked coming out of the dealership I thought I'd hit something the way it just stopped dead by pressing the brake lightly.

It's an 04 polo 1.2 E55.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

What car were you driving before the Polo?

They may have put new pads on it before they handed it over. You may need to bed the brakes in. It should be in your user manaul.

It usually involves bringing the car up to speed then breaking firmly without locking the wheels. This should be repeated a few times.

For the rears if they are disk brakes it involves partially applying the handbreak so there is some resisitance felt and driving a short distance.

crosstownk wrote: »
    What car were you driving before the Polo?

An 06 swift.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll give it a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I suspect the OP has just gotten used to their new brakes.

lol I hope that's all it is!

Thanks to all who replied.

Advertisement