Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Car Ordered for 2008..Is it worth cancelling?

Options
  • 07-12-2007 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering if there is any merit in cancelling my order for a new car in 2008? I've ordered a new 1.8Tdi Mondeo Zetec, and am trading in my 05 1.4l petrol Focus against it.

The issues as I see it are (and I'd say most people who have ordered/or thinking of ordering are in the same boat) :

1) Its Co2 emissions are about 155, meaning it will drop from VRT of 25% to 20% if I ordered for 2009. So the 2009 potentially (pending car manufacturer prices) will end up a bit cheaper.

2) The road tax will be €530 or there abouts each year (thanks to the 9.5% increase), and accoring to Gormless Gormley, I wont be able to switch to the emissions tax system (which would cost me €290, saving €240 per year) because its registered pre July 2008. Ludicrous :rolleyes:

3) If I cancel and hold off until 2009 to order, The value of my focus will have dropped even more, and I'll probably have just over 100,00Kms on it by then (there's 68,000) on it at moment.

So what to do?

Bit the bullit and buy the car new for 2008, taking the hit on road tax and the slightly higher VRT, or cancel the new car and wait till 2009, and get a poorer trade in on my Focus which will be due an NCT that year and have circa 100,000 KMs on it, but get a fairer road taxation and VRT reduction on the new car?

Decisions, decisions :(:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

I'd hold out until July if I were you. I'm in a similar position as I have a Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi ordered for January but i'm cancelling it because according to my calcs the price will drop approx €2700 in July and the road tax will only be €150 as opposed to €550.
    It would have been so much simpler if they introduced this straightaway as I can't see many new diesel cars being sold between here and July and anyone who has a newish low CO2 diesel car to sell at them moment has been properly screwed over by this budget change.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

yellow012 wrote: »
    I'd hold out until July if I were you. I'm in a similar position as I have a Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi ordered for January but i'm cancelling it because according to my calcs the price will drop approx €2700 in July and the road tax will only be €150 as opposed to €550.
    It would have been so much simpler if they introduced this straightaway as I can't see many new diesel cars being sold between here and July and anyone who has a newish low CO2 diesel car to sell at them moment has been properly screwed over by this budget change.

Yea I know what you mean, I'm in two minds as to what to do. I think its a crazy situation on the motor tax to say that the exact same car bought 6 months later can use a different motor tax regime than the one bought in January when both cars will emit the same emissions.

There should be the option at least to move to the new tax system for cars rgistered from 2008 onwards, and for all other cars wouldn't it be good to get the emissions checked at a garage and a certificate given as to what they are and this could be used when taxing the car. At least giving the motorist a choice, stay on the old motor tax setting or use your cert to go to the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

you don't need to cancel your order - just don't take delivery of it until after July. Tell the garage you want the car, but aren't prepared to take the tax hit, so you won't be collecting it before July.

If the garage has a problem with this, then i would cancel. However, I don't think it'll come to that, as by now there are 1000's of people doing the same thing, and the dealers must be working on a contingency plan - if they don't, they're going to lose sales.

ColmMcM - wanna chime in here - any news on SIMI side of things on the aftershock of the tax changes, yet?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The other issue is how much will prices drop ? When the VAT rate droped to 20% the reduction wasn't passed on and it went back to 21%.

SIMI are constantly arguing that cars are being left without safety devices because of VRT so who knows if the manufacturers will add a few more bits and bobs in and let the car stay at the same overall price.

Now for trade-ins they have another excuse - oh you're car has high CO2 I'll never shift it (to add to: it'll have to do its NCT, it doesn't have a FSH etc etc)

The only thing that can be guaranteed is that the VRT rate will change and the MotorTax rate wil change.

The CO2 based tax rates should be applied to vehicles that have low CO2 seeing as the purchaser already did their "bit" without gov support...

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Just a thought, what if you have for example a 2007 Octavia 1.9tdi which has a CO2 of 130, come July 2008 you are going to be on the old tax regime and be paying €550 a year. What if you sell the car in July to your wife/family member does it go onto the new tax band of €150 then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

What about explaining to the garage why you want to cancel... and then say, i suppose if you drop the price by the VRT i would save if i wait.... :D

parsi wrote: »
    The other issue is how much will prices drop ? When the VAT rate droped to 20% the reduction wasn't passed on and it went back to 21%.

SIMI are constantly arguing that cars are being left without safety devices because of VRT so who knows if the manufacturers will add a few more bits and bobs in and let the car stay at the same overall price.

Now for trade-ins they have another excuse - oh you're car has high CO2 I'll never shift it (to add to: it'll have to do its NCT, it doesn't have a FSH etc etc)

The only thing that can be guaranteed is that the VRT rate will change and the MotorTax rate wil change.

The CO2 based tax rates should be applied to vehicles that have low CO2 seeing as the purchaser already did their "bit" without gov support...

I've fired an e-mail off the the SIMI (info@simi.ie) to see if they intend to lobby the government in relation to cars registered from 2008 onwards at least being able to move to the new motor tax system from july onwards.

Its crazy to think the same car bought 6 months apart will be on two different motor tax rates.

I'll let you know what they say (if anything)

Saruman wrote: »
    What about explaining to the garage why you want to cancel... and then say, i suppose if you drop the price by the VRT i would save if i wait.... :D

I like the cut of your jib! :D

But they also might reduce the value of my trade in :(

Swings and roundabouts, but maybe worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

I have a similar question on another thread and would value people's opinion; I ordered a Merc C180 A/T, looks like its 194 emissions, should I try to change to the C200 Diesel manual which is 160 which would cost me 2 grand more or is it negligble in the long run assuming I keep it for 2 - 3 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The thing is though that you may not get the same trade-in price for your old car in July as you are getting in Jan.

Is it going to be a case of six in one hand and half a dozen in the other?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

yellow012 wrote: »
    Just a thought, what if you have for example a 2007 Octavia 1.9tdi which has a CO2 of 130, come July 2008 you are going to be on the old tax regime and be paying €550 a year. What if you sell the car in July to your wife/family member does it go onto the new tax band of €150 then?

No.
    Only newly registered cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    No.
    Only newly registered cars.

thats right and...

...just to be say it even clearer...only the first registration in this country of a car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Riskymove wrote: »
    thats right and...

...just to be say it even clearer...only the first registration in this country of a car

What if you export it and import it again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

When you re-register it they will know the car was already sold in the country, they're stupid but not that stupid:D!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

:rolleyes:

if you export a car you had here it means it was registered here so therefore even if you import again the record is there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

guys, you do realise that this is ireland, and that the prices of all the models with lower VRT will be hiked up by the garages. I cant wait till july to hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth. Here, in AH and on the consumer board.
    I'm surprised no-one has brought this up yet. Remember when vat changed from 21-20% and nothing went down in price??? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

What will happen is Irish cars will suddenly have higher spec and so base prices will increase. It won't happen initially cos the government will enforce a price freeze after the change over anyone remember the Euro changeover all shops had odd prices like €14.36 for a £12 item then after a few months the £12 item shot up to €20 and rip off Ireland was born.

So in effect prices will drop initially then will steadily increase but standard spec will improve I hope. VW group and Toyota I'm looking at you

Advertisement