Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poweredge SC440 bargain .. need video

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

conzymaher wrote: »
    Im trying to find some conductive ink to try this Pin Mod any ideas where i could get some? somewhere like halfords maybe? I think conductive ink is used to fix rear windscreen heaters and such

maplins if u got one near. otherwise im sure u can get it on ebay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

MayoForSam wrote: »
    I was wondering would it be worth my while overclocking the 7600GS (passively cooled) I have put into my SC440?

I don't see any dramatic improvements compared to a 6600GT (AGP) I had in my old PC.

The problem with it being passivly cooled is that it wont be able to dispense the heat quick enough. You can change the coolero n the card but it will make it alot noisier.

If your lucky you should be able to push an extra 10% from the ram and gpu. But your best bet would be to go off and buy a 256/512mb ati 3850. For 100£ they are great value for money and are good for gaming up to a decent resolution like 1680*1050

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

So is this OcUK HD 3850 the cheapest around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

MayoForSam wrote: »
    I was wondering would it be worth my while overclocking the 7600GS (passively cooled) I have put into my SC440?

I don't see any dramatic improvements compared to a 6600GT (AGP) I had in my old PC.

I used to have a passively cooled 7600GS a year or so ago, and it overclocked fairly well. What card have you? There can be huge differences between the efficiency of the passive designs. Also, the 7600GS is about the same as a 6600GT performance wise.....that's normal.

So is this OcUK HD 3850 the cheapest around?

That i can see yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Is the 8400GS 512MB (passively cooled) a decent enough card? And more importantly would it work without any problems on the SC440?

Depends on what you want to do with it. For older games (say, Half Life 2 downwards), HD playback....yes, decent card. For the newer games, no. It probably compares to an old 6600LE. Also, if you're paying more for the 512mb don't, the card will never be able to make use of more then the standard 256mb.

HavoK wrote: »
    Depends on what you want to do with it. For older games (say, Half Life 2 downwards), HD playback....yes, decent card. For the newer games, no. It probably compares to an old 6600LE. Also, if you're paying more for the 512mb don't, the card will never be able to make use of more then the standard 256mb.

Cheers for the reply Havok.

I'm not really that much of a gamer but the onboard graphics on this machine is so bad that I will definitely need to upgrade (and mod the PCI x4 slot). Btw I saw the 512mb for €47, so it is basically the same price as the 256mb, I was just worried that the PSU might not be able to handle it (or is the 305w PSU not as bad as everyone is making them out to be?).

An 8400GS will work fine on that power supply. You'd be fine up to an 8600Gt at least - the power supply is decent.

What's the on board video? Intel x3100 I assume?

ATI ES1000 as far as im aware

• Advertisement

Cool, thanks for that.

Yeah the onboard card is an ATI ES1000 16mb.

Absolute muck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Can somebody point me towards the chipset drivers for the mobo ?
    For Win XP

Cheers
    CC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

http://www.videocardshop.co.uk

I FOUND SOME CHEAP USED VIDEO CARDS HERE.

On a casual look at their prices a lot of them look the same as brand new retail prices unless you go for the really low end cards...

Just thought I'd let you know that I modded the x4 slot and installed a 8400GS 512MB and it works like a charm. The card is nothing amazing (on the Vista Experience Index I'm getting 3.0 for Aero Desktop Graphics and 4.2 for Gaming Graphics) but for less then €50 I didn't expect it to be.

Has the stock PSU got a standard 6-pin PCI-E power cable to power newer VGA cards?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

No, but lots of graphics cards come with 4pin Molex --> 6pin PCI-Express power adapters, you can buy them too

yeah, was in college when i asked.. gonna have to buy that molex -> 6-pin. Anyone know how much Maplin are charging for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

mines set up as a File server and Ftp to my Xbox

Ended up modding the 4x lane and putting a HD3850 in. Had to use a molex x2 to 6-pin convertor but everything seems fine.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

cool! Any 3dMark06 results?

Ended up modding the 4x lane and putting a HD3850 in. Had to use a molex x2 to 6-pin convertor but everything seems fine.

Cool, have you tried running 3dMark and/or games? Is it stable under load?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Sorry to drag this up (its the most recent topic on the subject).

How are you fellas finding these machines now, whats cards did you settle on?

I've decided i'd like to use mine as HTPC and as such the stock card is worthless.
    Any recommendations for under €100 (the more under the better tbh)?, gaming performance is not important to me as I only use my computer these days for listening to music and editing photos which isnt too intensive stuff at all.

Any advice on what you would fit if you were doing it again now?

Thanks.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Sorry to drag this up (its the most recent topic on the subject).

How are you fellas finding these machines now, whats cards did you settle on?

I've decided i'd like to use mine as HTPC and as such the stock card is worthless.
    Any recommendations for under €100 (the more under the better tbh)?, gaming performance is not important to me as I only use my computer these days for listening to music and editing photos which isnt too intensive stuff at all.

Any advice on what you would fit if you were doing it again now?

Thanks.

ATI 3450 passive , running 1080p like a dream with vista ultimate and windows media center . its got over 2 terabytes in it using as a fileserver and mediacenter for the family.
    3450 you might want to pick up a cheapo sound card also , because as it is it wont output anysound..

my other family pc has a 3450 in it and it has enough power for source games , really nice cheap silent card :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm using an old audigy ex for sound (external live drive provides semi decent amp for headphones) so sorted for sound outputs already thanks.

Thanks papu, that looks like it might do the job alright.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

no worries :D enjhoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

hey lads.
    Bought this last year but only deciding to use it now.
    Want to use it as a htpc.
    What would be a good graphics card for this that would output via hdmi 1080p.
    Also would like to output the audio via hdmi aswell if possible.
    Looking also to buy a tv tuner card that acceps a hd satellite signal aswell as normal antenna so i can get hd freeview.
    Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,461 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If you need more RAM, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134337 you'll need to have someone in the States to order it and post it to you though.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    If you need more RAM, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134337 you'll need to have someone in the States to order it and post it to you though.

Or buy it from here:

http://www.memoryc.ie/DELL/PowerEdge/PowerEdge-SC440.html

And not hav to worry about getting it from te states. As for a Graphics card.. Hmm.. a 4550 will do the job, just read a few reviews of this card and its meant to be great, even though it has a fan its completely silent:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=388728

• Advertisement
Advertisement