Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux / Unix Certifications

Options
  • 07-12-2007 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been thinking about doing some Linux / Unix courses recently, as it's something I use on my home PC and laptop (Gentoo) quite a bit , I primarily use windows(XP, 2000, 2003) though, as I work with it.But I'd like to get into the world of unix, and then advanced administration.

I was thinking of doing the Red Hat Certified Technician Course, followed by the Networking and Security, then ultimately the RHCE.
    But Ive been told by others that Red Hat isn't used much in the industry anymore, and it's more focused around HP-UX, Solaris, and AIX.

Granted the latter courses seem to be excellent aswell, Im just wondering, which would you guys reccommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Dathai wrote: »
    But Ive been told by others that Red Hat isn't used much in the industry anymore, and it's more focused around HP-UX, Solaris, and AIX.

Granted the latter courses seem to be excellent aswell, Im just wondering, which would you guys reccommend?

It's really down to you.

To say RH isn't used "anymore" is a bit well bizarre to say the least.

Lets look at *A* industry.

Web hosting, millions of servers all over the world, how many are running AIX or HP-UX compared to Linux/BSD's?/ms?

What "indsutry" were they referring to?

I would tend to lean towards whatever your most comfortable with now and if you're a gentoo user that would be RH.

Regardless of what path you take a lot of the information/commands etc will be cross platform.

Over the last 4-5 years all I've seen is AIX/HP-UX boxes getting replaced with RH/SuSE/FreeBSD so not too sure what world the people you were talking to live on maybe they all work in davy's? ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

ntlbell wrote: »
    It's really down to you.

To say RH isn't used "anymore" is a bit well bizarre to say the least.

Lets look at *A* industry.

Web hosting, millions of servers all over the world, how many are running AIX or HP-UX compared to Linux/BSD's?/ms?

What "indsutry" were they referring to?

I would tend to lean towards whatever your most comfortable with now and if you're a gentoo user that would be RH.

Regardless of what path you take a lot of the information/commands etc will be cross platform.

Over the last 4-5 years all I've seen is AIX/HP-UX boxes getting replaced with RH/SuSE/FreeBSD so not too sure what world the people you were talking to live on maybe they all work in davy's? ;)

Very true. Apart from the high end server range (8 cpus ) where the likes of Solaris/AIX/AP-UX reign supreme, Linux has a very strong presence in the rest of the server market (web/email/file servers etc.). And as you alluded to are probably gaining on the bigger players in the mid range server market as well(4 CPU).

Advertisement